Dave A LMAHL Tweeter Upgrade - WOW!!!!!!!

Fido

21 hours ago, Dave A said:

Yes they are and PM sent. I have started working on mid horns but nothing for the KHorn yet.

I'm to the point that I would like to switch out the original tweeters on my 1972 khorns. I suppose this is a good thread to ask in. Also, does anyone offer the mid range driver assembly?

15 minutes ago, Bella said:

I'm to the point that I would like to switch out the original tweeters on my 1972 khorns. I suppose this is a good thread to ask in. Also, does anyone offer the mid range driver assembly?

the new  K-55X  should be availalble from Klipsch parts  -----what is wrong with your current mids drivers ---------diaphragms can be replaced as well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the new  K-55X  should be availalble from Klipsch parts  -----what is wrong with your current mids drivers ---------diaphragms can be replaced as well

Everything works great. I've had the crossovers updated about 7 years ago. Just wondering if there are upgrades available to improve the sound. I recently picked up a Naim Uniti Star and while it improved the sound of the khorns, it was sublime on the Palladiums. But those are all doing duty in my 5.1 and I bought the Star for the 2.1 khorns.

So I'm just wondering if drivers for the mid and tweeters are available to bring me closer to a modern horn sound. 

B

1 minute ago, Bella said:

Everything works great. I've had the crossovers updated about 7 years ago. Just wondering if there are upgrades available to improve the sound. I recently picked up a Naim Uniti Star and while it improved the sound of the khorns, it was sublime on the Palladiums. But those are all doing duty in my 5.1 and I bought the Star for the 2.1 khorns.

So I'm just wondering if drivers for the mid and tweeters are available to bring me closer to a modern horn sound.

the K55X  is still used on the new 2021 lascala and k-horn -----12k$ and 15k$  -it's the same driver that you have with minor modifications -

8 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the K55X  is still used on the new 2021 lascala and k-horn -----12k$ and 15k$  -it's the same driver that you have with minor modifications -

This is reassuring and disappointing all at the same time. Reassuring to know my Khorns are timeless, but disappointing that I can't come closer to the sound the Naim and the Palladiums produced in my 2.1 setup.

B

12 minutes ago, Bella said:

This is reassuring and disappointing all at the same time. Reassuring to know my Khorns are timeless, but disappointing that I can't come closer to the sound the Naim and the Palladiums produced in my 2.1 setup.

B

you can't compare a Palladium with a 72 Khorn ,a  2020  Cornwall IV  sounds better  than a 72 khorn   ---- the Palladium were designed for the late Millenium  so 2007 so 35 years ahead  -

now the  new 2020 AK-6  which has the new Fabulous klipsch  tweeter  plus the new Crossover -----yeah , these are totally different - sealed backs -revised tweeter and electronics , better audio cabe --etc ----now these would be closer to what you're  looking for

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

you can't compare a Palladium with a 72 Khorn ,a  2020  Cornwall IV  sounds better  than a 72 khorn   ---- the Palladium were designed for the late Millenium  so 2007 so 35 years ahead  -

now the  new 2020 AK-6  which has the new Fabulous klipsch  tweeter  plus the new Crossover -----yeah , these are totally different - sealed backs -revised tweeter and electronics , better audio cabe --etc ----now these would be closer to what you're  looking for

Which is kinda of what I was afraid of...comparing old to new(er).

Been thinking about selling the khorns and picking up rf7 iii's to replace them. the idea of smaller and newer is appealing, but I am not in an area where I can go and listen before I buy so I have no idea if I'd be going backwards. 

B

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bella said:

Which is kinda of what I was afraid of...comparing old to new(er).

Been thinking about selling the khorns and picking up rf7 iii's to replace them. the idea of smaller and newer is appealing, but I am not in an area where I can go and listen before I buy so I have no idea if I'd be going backwards. 

B

you're better off looking for a  pair of the klipsch LS2 crossovers  which were the latest ones with the K77  --k55 - K33 which are the current drivers for the 72 Khorn ---now that would be like 40 years ahead in the sound due to more modern  networks     versus an  AA  or an A   network  which is  old school  sound -

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

you're better off looking for a  klipsch LS2 crossover which was the latest one with the K77  --

I have crossovers from DeanG so I think they're fine.

It's time to make a change I'm just not sure where to go without breaking the bank. I 'think' I can get $4k for my khorns, as they are damn near in new condition...maybe go for the cornwall IV, which I'm reading nothing but great things about.

One thing left to try to validate my feelings: move the Palladium p37's into my 2.1 system and listen to them where the khorns are instead of moving the Naim into the 5.1 system. Apples to apples then, I suppose, as far as listening position is concerned.

B

21 minutes ago, Bella said:

I have crossovers from DeanG so I think they're fine.

It's time to make a change I'm just not sure where to go without breaking the bank. I 'think' I can get $4k for my khorns, as they are damn near in new condition...maybe go for the cornwall IV, which I'm reading nothing but great things about.

B

you may have a DeanG   AA  ------still an AA  --but with better quality caps ----The AK-5 crossovers are different since they allow biamping -bi wiring and the sound signature is modern  --being there are also 2 separate crossover sections -----1 board  for the LF , and a second for the HF   ---

a CW IV  is a good option -at 6k$  ----------sell your khorns for 4k$   and that's it  , lay out 2k$ 

---3rd option would be an Active crossover , so bypassing the passive network  , and that can make a huge difference

3 minutes ago, Sadie42 said:

You should try Dave’s tweeter first. Minimal investment, huge return. If you don’t like what you hear, then sell them. 

Think just read  just above where Dave said he is working(?) on one for the Khorns...

Whoops, think he has one...

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bella said:

So I'm willing to do everything first.

I used to own Khorns.  I found a mod that was drop-in and upgraded the sound by a magnitude.  I never liked the K-77, all those squeaks and squawks.  There is no real audio content (like a trumpet) that came out of the tweeter section.  I found a combination of B&C CD $106 and SEOS waveguide $28 that sounds tremendous in the Khorn.

I placed the SEOS on top to time align it to the mid-range throat.  I also used a Crites A/4500 XO and the B&C 250 which can easily handle the lower XO point, 4500 Hz vs the Type AA 6000.

1492215419_KhornSEOSDNA-360.thumb.JPG.cb64b0461a7aedf6cea952cd5b6801af.JPG

1314365747_KhornSEOSrighttopview.thumb.JPG.d2effb3b6477f4782f252ccfdcec14f3.JPG

59fcd8e18fa70_CritesA-4500top01-03-17.thumb.JPG.e20ef3a0cfce7ac5e43f8bd6f7af079d.JPG

• Like 3