Center channel speaker for use with two vintage (circa 1979) La Scalas

Bootsdog

.They're both right.  I've owned LaScalas since 1979.  Called dealer and asked what would work with them for me to make a HT system (this is 20 years ago)....  they said "ACADEMY!!!"

I said, ship me three of them.

It was a total fail.  The output of the Academy verses the output of the horn loaded LaScala was akin to bringing a water pistol to the battle of the bulge....  I've since sold the Academy's.

If you have the room, another LaScala.  If you don't have the room, I'd go phantom (which is what I've done over the years)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Coytee said:

It was a total fail.  The output of the Academy verses the output of the horn loaded LaScala was akin to bringing a water pistol to the battle of the bulge....  I've since sold the Academy's.

If you have the room, another LaScala.  If you don't have the room, I'd go phantom (which is what I've done over the years)

I also bought an Academy, mostly because it was magnetically shielded. The Heresy I had used for a center was messing up my TV. The Academy didn't work for me, and I sold it to a forum member, who sent me a great looking Klipsch shirt in return. I ended up buying a single Belle, which is beautiful and sounds great between the Khorns. Thankfully, the flat screen TVs don't suffer from magnetic problems the way the older CRTs do.

• Like 1

Perhaps a more practical answer is a Heresy I with a crossover modified to be as similar as practical to the Type AAs in your La Scalas.  That is also the center I use, mounted above the TV.   It often fools my GF into thinking the TV speakers are on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your thoughts. So, as I am a novice when it comes to home theater 3.1 and/or configuration of speakers, where would I go to purchase another La Scala and figure out how to configure it to my 2 La Scalas? If I do end up with a third la Scala, would I need a subwoofer to make it a 3.1 home theater set up?

It depends what you want the center channel for. For home theater, if you have an AV receiver, connect the center speaker to the CENTER speaker terminals on the receiver. To buy a La Scala, the usual places are the Garage Sale forum, eBay, Craigslist. I believe you'll need to hear the speakers playing to decide if you want or need a subwoofer. Each La Scala has a 12" woofer in it, so 3 speakers (Left, Right, Center) with their 12" woofers might be all you want. There's ways to test and measure frequencies depending on how complex your equipment is. All that comes after you have that third speaker in place.

4 hours ago, Bootsdog said:

Thank you all for your thoughts. So, as I am a novice when it comes to home theater 3.1 and/or configuration of speakers, where would I go to purchase another La Scala and figure out how to configure it to my 2 La Scalas? If I do end up with a third la Scala, would I need a subwoofer to make it a 3.1 home theater set up?

What are you using for a receiver/amp?

The .1 in an x.1 setup refers to a subwoofer so yes, in a 3.1 setup you'll need a subwoofer.