R.I.P. Carl Reiner

DizRotus

WTH, have at it.  On May 19, 2020, my step-father died.  There will be more death soon in the family, but that's not important right now.  He was 94, and is survived by some of us.  A great role model is now gone.  But feel free to criticize his children, grand children, and great grand children.  That seems to be de rigueur.

Oh, and for Claude, since you seem not to know, and politics seem to be a huge part of your condolence regimen:

"Reiner described himself as a Jewish atheist.[10] He said, "I have a very different take on who God is. Man invented God because he needed him. God is us."[46][47] He said in 2013 he developed an atheistic viewpoint as the Holocaust progressed.[48]

Reiner was a lifelong Democrat.[citation needed] He endorsed Bernie Sanders for the Democratic Party nomination during the 2016 United States presidential election.[49] Reiner's residence was in Beverly Hills, California.[50] Reiner was active on Twitter until the day of his death, becoming one of the oldest celebrities active on the platform.[51]

Reiner died at his home on June 29, 2020, aged 98, in the company of his family."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

On May 19, 2020, my step-father died. 

Once again Brian ... sorry for the loss of your Step-Dad. I know you've had a tough year thus far. Paradoxically, death is harder on me now than when I was younger. Peace brother!

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

If you don't like a guy's viewpoints, don't go to his funeral.  Maybe even don't comment on it in an RIP thread.  Even if you like a guy's viewpoints, is it appropriate?  Or is this forum now a contest to see who can be the most classless?

I didn't say anything that wasn't true about Rob Reiner and only said RIP about Carl, whok AFAICR  was funny and way before my time, but I did see a few things. I did say Rob was a great director. Meathead was his TV name. So what's your problem here, Old Timer? Assuming too much and reading into things that were not said?

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Oh, and for Claude, since you seem not to know, and politics seem to be a huge part of your condolence regimen:

I just thought it was funny that he had a son who was popularized as Meathead. After all, Carl Reiner was a comedic figure. But hey feel free to misinterpret anything you like and amplify it.

After talking with Brian I believe the forum has 2 ways of looking at RIP threads.  One camp sees these as a sort of memorial and celebration of that person's life.   Others see it as a FYI and subject to normal conversation.  Given that there are no formal rules for these type threads I can see the different interpretations.

As the OP, it was my desire to alert the forum to the passing of an entertainment legend, irrespective of what his politics might have been.  Were Clint Eastwood or Alan Alda to pass, I would do the same, despite the fact that they represent polar extremes of the political spectrum.  It is not necessary to agree with someone’s politics to respect his/her talent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

After talking with Brian I believe the forum has 2 ways of looking at RIP threads.  One camp sees these as a sort of memorial and celebration of that person's life.   Others see it as a FYI and subject to normal conversation.  Given that there are no formal rules for these type threads I can see the different interpretations.

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

As the OP, it was my desire to alert the forum to the passing of an entertainment legend, irrespective of what his politics might have been.  Were Clint Eastwood or Alan Alda to pass, I would do the same, despite the fact that they represent polar extremes of the political spectrum.  It is not necessary to agree with someone’s politics to respect his/her talent.

Agreed, my comment was not so much and RIP for Carl, but to point out that his son was called "Meathead," which I thought was pretty funny from a Legend of Comedy being the father. Political views were just another very minor observation, but amplified by others, not by me.

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Exactly!