Dedicated audio room

Hi all - brand new to this forum, but looking for a little advice.  I got into Klipsch a few years back by buying the RF7-II, totally fell in love with the Klipsch sound..... love hifi but also love it loud.  Wanted something a little more musical so purchased a pair of the forte iii and couldn’t be happier.....until a couple weeks ago when I decided to build a dedicated audio room.  Now that the possibilities are endless, I was thinking a pair of jubilees would be the ultimate.  I am planning on a 17’ x 23’ x 10’ and think the jubilees would open up nicely with that space.  Does anyone foresee any issues with my current gear or the room size/shape with a new set of jubilee’s?  I’ve emailed Cory (thorough EBay) but am still waiting on a response.  

Thanks in advance!

My gear:

NAD M10 DAC / streamer

Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated amp/preamp

Klipsch Forte iii speakers

(2) JL Audio E-112 subs

Transparent audio (plus level) 

Speaker wire

Interconnects

Power cables

• Thanks 1

The Jubilees are designed to use an active/digital crossover and at least four channels of amplification if you go with the two way system. There is a passive crossover design that Roy Delgado, from Klipsch, drew up, but he may not have done it for the newer 2 inch compression driver. While the passive will sound good to great, the active system will allow for tuning to your room for correct time alignment and phase.

Don't be put off by all that. It is certainly worth the work and there are folks here that would/will help you along the way.

And welcome to the forums!

Bruce

• Like 1

It would be perfect for Jubilees, IMHO (but I am biased).

If you do go that route, go ahead and get the DSP (it is not that difficult and an intro level system will still give great results). 

There are some nice FAQs by Chris about starting out with Jubilees (requirements and best practices etc). Do a search and that will get you started.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, HiFi-G-man said:

In order to use the DSP crossover, you'll need preouts from the preamplifier section of that unit:

Bi-amp, active horizontal.GIF

As far as the dimensions of the room, they look good to me.  If you look at the following figure, you can use the height of the room (10'--the shortest dimension of the room) as the baseline for the other two dimensions to determine "sweet spots" in relative room dimensions. In your case, your relative room dimensions are 1.7 and 2.3 and are shown in the figure in red: darker areas are better on the plot.  (The figure is taken from here: https://community.klipsch.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=79899):

2000678933_CoxDAntonioRelativeRoomSizeforAcousticsFig14.thumb.JPG.cb58baa7871804f99850399d676cf4cc.JPG

Make sure to use carpet on the floor at least next to the bass bins and outwards radially for at least 3-4 feet (i.e., 1m). 

Chris

• Like 1

I transitioned from passive crossovers in my La Scala II's to active crossovers via Xilica and a lot of help from Chris A

The result is unequivocally astounding, I have never in 25 years felt more closer and engaged in the music as I am now

I was apprehensive but all the help on this forum made the transition easy

Thanks again Chris for all your help and patience

I'm a very happy man

Deano

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you built your room?  If not, consider non-parallel walls.  i built the room in the sketch in my basement in a previous house and the results were just excellent.  Berber carpet on the floor and heavy, insulated curtains behind my La Scalas for a "dead" front wall.  That end of the basement became a bedroom and Listening Room with a 100 degree wall between them.  And no, the X was not allowed to speak in there.  😉 

If you have to build false walls to get one or two walls angled, you can use that space for equipment and unclutter the room, especially between the speakers. 

post-2142-13819498863272_thumb.jpg

I built a dedicated soundproof listening room for my Jubilee / 1502 combo.

dimensions are 14'w/20'l/8.5'H

You'll need 4 channels of amplification and a preamp that has precuts ( preferably XLR)

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Erik

Thank you for the advise everyone I really appreciate it and will definitely take those suggestions into consideration. I haven’t built yet, still designing.  Now looking into the best way to soundproof the shared wall.  I’ve heard good things about Smartblocks  - anyone have previous experience with Smartblocks?

27 minutes ago, HiFi-G-man said:

Thank you for the advise everyone I really appreciate it and will definitely take those suggestions into consideration. I haven’t built yet, still designing.  Now looking into the best way to soundproof the shared wall.  I’ve heard good things about Smartblocks  - anyone have previous experience with Smartblocks?

Have not heard of or used this product..   

Double wall, and mass will be your friend..

On 7/7/2020 at 2:22 PM, JohnA said:

Have you built your room?  If not, consider non-parallel walls.  i built the room in the sketch in my basement in a previous house and the results were just excellent.  Berber carpet on the floor and heavy, insulated curtains behind my La Scalas for a "dead" front wall.  That end of the basement became a bedroom and Listening Room with a 100 degree wall between them.  And no, the X was not allowed to speak in there.  😉 

If you have to build false walls to get one or two walls angled, you can use that space for equipment and unclutter the room, especially between the speakers. 

post-2142-13819498863272_thumb.jpg

That room sounded great! Still sorry I couldn't swing the extra LS you had. A lot of water has gone over the dam since then.

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, HiFi-G-man said:

Hi all - brand new to this forum, but looking for a little advice.  I got into Klipsch a few years back by buying the RF7-II, totally fell in love with the Klipsch sound..... love hifi but also love it loud.  Wanted something a little more musical so purchased a pair of the forte iii and couldn’t be happier.....until a couple weeks ago when I decided to build a dedicated audio room.  Now that the possibilities are endless, I was thinking a pair of jubilees would be the ultimate.  I am planning on a 17’ x 23’ x 10’ and think the jubilees would open up nicely with that space.  Does anyone foresee any issues with my current gear or the room size/shape with a new set of jubilee’s?  I’ve emailed Cory (thorough EBay) but am still waiting on a response.  

Thanks in advance!

My gear:

NAD M10 DAC / streamer

Klipsch Forte iii speakers

(2) JL Audio E-112 subs

Transparent audio (plus level) 

Speaker wire

Interconnects

Power cables

did you need the sub?

also how are you connected to the Nad with the Primaluna?

thanks