The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Srinath

NOS K33E woofer vs crites woofers

I'm having to replace woofers in my Khorns. All caps are less than 10 yrs old, checked and great shape, the tweeter and mids are full throated ad beautiful - so need 1 woofer, thought better to get both to match.

So Crites woofers (Believe they are eminence - American made - I like that) - as we all know $360 for a pair - look like a million $$$ sure they sound to match. Is this the original for 85 and earlier Khorns ? Mine is 86 - LOL. Looks like I just got too late to get better stuff.

Or True NOS K33E's from a few sellers - speaker exchange being my first go to here - Just about breaking $330, more utilitarian stamped steel frame - but that's what's in there now. Are these Chinese made ? or Just OEM eminence issue ?

Any dis//advantages to one over the other - TBH - The $ is not a factor - yea all of $30 - no, don't care.

Are there any other woofers that are a good option. Eminence kappa 15's ?

Eminence Delta ? Crites is B&K (not eminence like I thought earlier). Is there a B&K option ?

I'm happy with the Crites cast woofers in my K-Horns.

• Like 1

You won't notice any difference in sound between the Crites replacements and K-33.

• Like 2

^^^^ Agree

You would be hard pressed to notice a difference in the three mentioned speakers K33, Crites or Kappa 15C

There us a good reason for this, they are all excellent drivers for this application. You should be pleased with either choice. If not, you would have had the same opinion of the other two.

I currently run four sets (in different locations) of folded horns (LS & Belle) Each set has one of these woofer types plus a set with the K43s. All sound great. No one stands out as superior or inferior. I like the 15C for price reasons but you state that cash is not a factor. No B&K experience, so no opinion. 

Enjoy, dont over think it, there is no bad choice out of those mentioned.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, Srinath said:

Are there any other woofers that are a good option. Eminence kappa 15's ?

Eminence Delta ? Crites is B&K (not eminence like I thought earlier). Is there a B&K option ?

I believe B&K Enterprises and B&K Sound are part of Crites Speakers.  I believe Bob Crites has speakers made for B&K.  I don’t believe Crites manufactures speakers.  I welcome correction from Bob @BEC.  It would surprise me if Eminence does not manufacture to Bob’s specifications the woofers sold by Bob.

Irrespective of the source of the various Crites offerings, it is my belief that each represents excellent value, given Bob’s expertise, integrity, and excellent customer service.

DUH!

and I agree!

Happy Independence Day, Neil!

• Thanks 1

I do believe all 3 are Eminence kappa 15c - digging round volti and alk and up to my eyeballs in these woofers - but all your input is welcome and is adding to the brain cells in my head.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MookieStl said:

You would be hard pressed to notice a difference in the three mentioned speakers K33, Crites or Kappa 15C

Well, I can't agree with this having owned, installed, and listened to all of them.  The Kappa does not quite go as low as the 33, but the mid bass and clarity of the Kappa is definitely apparent.....to my ears better in that regard.  The Crites and the 33 sound essentially the same, to me.

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, I can't agree with this having owned, installed, and listened to all of them.  The Kappa does not quite go as low as the 33, but the mid bass and clarity of the Kappa is definitely apparent.....to my ears better in that regard.  The Crites and the 33 sound essentially the same, to me.

I agree with you disagreeing with me. The 15C is what I prefer. There is a trade off on the low end for some clarity in the mid-bass. My point was they are all close and all perform well. Some might not like that trade off, some do, but it is very subtle to my old uneducated ears. I like all three.

They're similar but not identical. WinISD model frequency response attached. Modeling was done with all in the same-sized closed box, for apples-to-apples comparison.

K33E comparison.png

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, Srinath said:

I'm having to replace woofers in my Khorns. All caps are less than 10 yrs old, checked and great shape, the tweeter and mids are full throated ad beautiful - so need 1 woofer, thought better to get both to match.

So Crites woofers (Believe they are eminence - American made - I like that) - as we all know $360 for a pair - look like a million $$$ sure they sound to match. Is this the original for 85 and earlier Khorns ? Mine is 86 - LOL. Looks like I just got too late to get better stuff.

Or True NOS K33E's from a few sellers - speaker exchange being my first go to here - Just about breaking $330, more utilitarian stamped steel frame - but that's what's in there now. Are these Chinese made ? or Just OEM eminence issue ?

Any dis//advantages to one over the other - TBH - The $ is not a factor - yea all of $30 - no, don't care.

last I heard   , KLIPSCH sells the  ORIGINAL K33E  to klipsch owners at very low prices   ----------and the k33 is the true McCoy ---call klipsch parts first , get a quotation , you may be happily surprised  at the price of Factory Replacement Parts for klipsch owners ---

Great info @Edgar That shows how similar these woofers are. One note is that they will perform differently in different applications. Some that swear by the 15C for folder horn (LS or Klipschorn and others) are not as keen on them for direct radiating.

Just more food for thought when my original objective was to "not over think it"!

• Like 2

FWIW, the Kappa 15A response is closer to the K33E than the Kappa 15C, except that the 15A is nominally 8 Ohm.

51 minutes ago, Edgar said:

They're similar but not identical. WinISD model frequency response attached. Modeling was done with all in the same-sized closed box, for apples-to-apples comparison.

K33E comparison.png

Maybe I missed it, but which is which?

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Maybe I missed it, but which is which?

No, I was too lazy to label them. From top to bottom at 50 Hz, they are: CW1526, K33E, CW1526C, Kappa 15C.

• Like 1

Not to be pendantic, but “top to bottom” where?  Starting with the four lines at the lower left, each of the blue lines crosses over another line or lines.  Which is represented by the far left blue line, the second and third blue lines, and the red line?

Regarding Crites, the story I recall hearing was he wanted to buy (for example) 100 drivers for inventory....called whomever is making them today, said "I want to buy 100 Klipsch K33's and put my name on them"

To which the manufacturer said "we're sorry, but those are exclusive to Klipsch....

To which HE then craftily did/said....  he calls them back and said can you make a custom order for me?  (yes)  then I'd like to buy 100 of.....  and proceeded to give them (what I think was the exact) T.S. parameters of the K33.  So he backdoor'ed into them and now, since they're making them to HIS recipe, which is (as I understand) the exact recipe of Klipsch, the stamped version of his should be exact.

No idea how this translates over to the cast versions.

37 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Not to be pendantic, but “top to bottom” where?  Starting with the four lines at the lower left, each of the blue lines crosses over another line or lines.  Which is represented by the far left blue line, the second and third blue lines, and the red line?

Look at the 50 Hz point and I believe that will answer your question.

• Thanks 1

BTW if anybody wants copies of the WinISD models that I used, send a PM and I'll send you the .wdr files.

• Like 1