Heritage Heresy Facelift

AndreG.

Hello Forum,

I have a pair of Heresys that were handed down from my uncle to my mother to me. From the labels i understand that they should be 1972 make and oiled walnut. As You can see, serials are not consecutive and, to me, baffling. Can somebody make a sembelance of meaning out of these?

IMG_20200701_172704419.thumb.jpg.7c57267a7e86c3c60a391286d876bc29.jpgIMG_20200701_173051318.thumb.jpg.730cd1550a9c27c36f200ede9e05a67f.jpg

Cabinets are fine, just the veneer needs repair, its chipped in two places as You can see. I guess, the rest is mainly a matter of cleaning, sanding re-oiling, maybe waxing. I also want to make floorstands for them, found a template in the forum, great. And i have to rework the grills, the fabric is torn and one of the Klipsch- labels is missing.

I haven´t opened them yet, but they do work, haven´t tested them to their linits either, don´t know if that would be a wise thing to do...?

IMG_20200701_173215767.thumb.jpg.17f7d540325a771efe6a89f0f63d8c7b.jpg

IMG_20200701_173240432.thumb.jpg.02255c53e933a60273132f1a2acd73fd.jpgIMG_20200701_173253393.thumb.jpg.8a1beebef3e1f0b1ed58ddb1047704e4.jpg

There are some other things i´ve got to get done first, but then these babies are next. Until then it´s going to be more research and maybe some good ideas from You guys.

Andre

IMG_20200701_173224762.jpg

• Like 4

And as far as their condition, those look nice. Would consider doing minimalist repair. What you could do as you are learning, and deciding is to enjoy them. A

Klipsch legendary speaker. After

all this time, think they held up well indeed.

Congrats and enjoy!

• Like 2

Welcome.  The Heresy 1's have a very simple crossover.  However, after all this time the capacitors are past their prime and should be replaced as part of your refresh.  You can use modern capacitor replacements, but with the heresy 1's I own, I used NOS (new old stock) Russian PIO (paper in oil) caps. Paul Klipsch designed these using PIO caps and in my opinion, which has never been proven to be wrong, they will sound the best. Electronically that's about all you should need to do to these speakers.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Thebes for the input, actually i was thinking about the capacitors as well, i´m also contemplating a replacement of the terminals. Is there anything i should keep my eye on, while looking up said terminals?

Luckily, one of my co-workers is a carpenter and he agreed to help me with the woodwork.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Thanks Thebes for the input, actually i was thinking about the capacitors as well, i´m also contemplating a replacement of the terminals. Is there anything i should keep my eye on, while looking up said terminals?

Luckily, one of my co-workers is a carpenter and he agreed to help me with the woodwork.

1 Stück Viablue S-120 schwarz / HighEnd Single-Wire-Terminal / T6s Polklemmen

They´re maybe an option , available in Germany. Made in Germany , solid Aluminum.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

While i´m not ready to start on the Heresies yet ( A new hifi-rack for my stuff needs building first.), i would like to take a peek inside the cabinets. My question is, are the backs of the cabinets seald with a gasket that i would have to re-new later on?

No gasket material, at least not original. I’ve always added a strip of foam just because, not sure if it makes any difference. You know I’ve never replaced capacitors in Hersey’s and some people would say that they don’t need to be changed because they’re oil filled. I always change the electrolytic capacitors in the Heresy ii. 

Pure stock Heresy Ones!  They should sound a little bright and forward, but crisp and detailed.  If not, and all of the drivers are working, you probably need new capacitors.  Klipsch and Heresies in particular do not sound polite or reserved.  Buy very good film and foil caps.  Solen makes some.  Solen metallized film caps are cheap and while surprisingly good, your Heresies deserve better (metallized seem to sound gritty, brittle especially when loud). 

All three drivers can be renewed with new diaphragms if they have failed, no worries. 

"E" is for Export and as you can see, the importer's name is on the tags.  They are not different from Heresies sold any where else. 

• Like 2

For the grill, https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/ersatzteile-fuer-verstaerker/bezugsstoffe/frontbespannstoffe/

I have often bought from them, they are very professional with very good service.

For Caps https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/kondensatoren.htm or https://www.intertechnik.de/shop/cross-over-parts/1768,en,2

Same, very professional with very good service.

• Thanks 1

Yes, still pure. My uncle bought these years ago, then gave them to my mother and now i have them. I´ve been running them for some some years now, but haven´t listened consciously, but all the drivers are working. At some point i will hook them up to my Marantz and see if the caps need replacing. Thanks for all Your input!

I definitely have to replace the cloth on the grills and i need one new badge. Found badges on Ebay and i think i will order the cloth from Bob Crites Ebay channel.

For the caps, if i replace them, i haven´t decided yet between Mundorf or Jantzen and wich class i want to go to.