Heritage Heresy Facelift

AndreG.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, AndreG. said:

So i´ve got this SW passive bass extension that i´m using with my KG1.5 right now. In the future i might use it with my Heresys. The box is black right now and the cabinet  got banged when it was shipped to me. At one point i would like to fix the damage and while i´m at it re-verneer the whole thing. So the Heresy tag says Walnut, but which one, does anybody know? I´ve seen differences in color, for example between pieces of european and american walnut.

That should be American Walnut. That's not going to help a lot as there are hundreds of variations of that.

@HDBRbuilder would be able to tell you much more as he had hands on experience in that time frame.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

That should be American Walnut. That's not going to help a lot as there are hundreds of variations of that.

@HDBRbuilder would be able to tell you much more as he had hands on experience in that time frame.

How many times do I need to say this...and I am definitely not gonna write the whole damned thing out again...so do a search of my posts about cleaning up electrical contacts from the rear panel to everywhere else and applying a liberal coat of di-electric grease to all of the connections before reconnecting them...and you will HIGHLY LIKELY see that the performance of them is BEST improved with a bit of your time and effort and absolutely nothing else SHOULD be required! for Heresy I models....PERIOD!  Stop planning on changing things and just get what you already have working at its peak performance FIRST!  Of all the heritage models, the Heresy networks and innards get the very least of damage done to them over time from outside influences simply BECAUSE they are a relatively air-tight cabinet to begin with!  Lemme see if I can find the most recent post I made about all of this...and  it will walk you through he process in absolute detail.  ONCE AGAIN, bare wire connections are the best because they have the least electrical resistance involved!  PERIOD!

OK found it..@AndreG    Just read and do the following!

you're welcome, AndreG!...AND it only took me just ONE bottle of Kostritzer Schwarzbier Lager to find that old post of mine, too!...Now I get to relax while drinking my second one!😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank You, a lot of additional information to use when i start in earnest. Can Yo say something about the type of American Walnut verneer that was used? These are 1977 make. I want to re-verneer a sw bass extension and i want to match the verneer as close as possible. I know it won´t be a perfect match because of age and wear, thanks.

2 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Thank You, a lot of additional information to use when i start in earnest. Can Yo say something about the type of American Walnut verneer that was used? These are 1977 make. I want to re-verneer a sw bass extension and i want to match the verneer as close as possible. I know it won´t be a perfect match because of age and wear, thanks.

Why wait at all to do this?...it is like maybe a 1-2 hour job...and you will IMMEDIATELY hear the difference without changing a single thing on those speakers!  All you need is a screw-driver or two, and a bit of di-electric grease! and some contact cleaner and paper towels!...so just DO IT...do it NOW!

It is "American Black Walnut"...coloring can range from dark brown with a hit of red, all the way to almost jet black with hints of purple.  European walnut is kin to it...because they are from the same "family" of trees, but so are the hickory tree varieties, and pecan varieties.  So-called "European walnut" didn't even originate in Europe, it was imported there from Persia a few hundred years ago, primarily for use in furniture lumbers...and it doesn't approach the darkness of coloration that American Black walnut has.  BUT, that being said ,you can use black walnut stain on European walnut to darken it.  European walnut leans heavily towards the "blonde" side of natural wood coloration.  See what happens when you ask these questions from a mixed timberland owner?  Long line of timber people in my ancestry!

So, Berlin, Germany huh?  Been there, done that, way back when it was a divided city.  I was a young Fallschirmjäger assigned at Mainz many moons ago!

BTW, American Black Walnut is the number "1" on the wood density scale...all other woods of the world are either higher than "1" or lower than it. The wood density scale was created to provide close approximation of other woods to American Black Walnut, in order to find suitable other woods from other trees to use in creating military rifle stocks.  American Black Walmut was the preferred wood for those.

ME?  What would I use to re-veneer a single SW for use with Heresys?  Pecan crotch-wood would be a nice alternative, but still could provide a close match to American Black Walnut in most any instances!  Be creative, not boring, in your wood choices, I always say!

Just remember THIS, though...having beautifully veneered speakers can become a very expensive investment when the "significant other" of the household decides to get new furniture to match the speakers in the room!  You have been warned!🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Wall was part of my childhood days until it came down. We used to enjoy the "Open Doors" activities in summer on the, then still active, Tempelhof Airport. Real quarter pounders and american ice cream ^^. I spend a year in El Paso during my Air Force years, so i know a tiny bit of the states too. We have a little bit in common then.

Concerning the verneer question, it comes down to getting samples and comparing to what i have then, i guess. Thanks for the background, both, on Yourself and the Walnut.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

IMG_20210929_172457.thumb.jpg.1f56d03ee85a6dcb30617534cf6a70b1.jpg

My old gaskets. Still flexible but they start to break and fray at the edges if you wiggle them a bit.

reverse the gaskets and you'll be ok  or find some plumbing gasket sheets and make new gaskets 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Thanks Randy, i´m save. Ordered new gaskets together with new fabric for my grills. Gaskets alrready replaced.

Good luck with the Grilles fabric --the fabric is a type of nylon fibre , I would advise to paint the masonite board flat black , as glue sticks a lot better on a masonite painted  surface -

klipsch  used to paint all the grilles boards black , until they had  to implement cost cutting measures in the mid 70's -

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally started this project:

IMG_1895.thumb.JPG.2ec5278aa1c3f7e69aba7d4b1252f0c6.JPG

IMG_1897.thumb.JPG.093ace37666fed5833460b27df640bd8.JPG

IMG_1898.thumb.JPG.d581f35f2f6530b7ea3e9b1a55b9f5aa.JPG

Now there are two gutless Heresy cabinets. This is also a good time to have the K77 magnets re-magnetized. Sitting there on the that black table, one really notices how worn the stain is...

Next will be marking and drilling holes for the magnets that will hold the grilles later.

I´ve looked up 3m spray glue that i want to use cement the new fabric to the grilles. I´m not sure which variety to choose, can somebody what 3m # would be the right on please?

• Like 2

IMG_1899.thumb.JPG.9fb9b22c5ddd1c6314eca1c91a4670e7.JPG

IMG_1900.thumb.JPG.cf779c299fa50265540bfab99e9a295e.JPG

Today i got rid of the velcro on the cabinets, replaced them with magnets. Secured them with a drop of cement, but that´snot really needed since it´s a snug fit.

Tomorrow i will putty the magnets over, as well as the staples on the motor- board and the screws for the bracing on the back-panel.

And speaking of the motor-board, this will be the time for caulking all the seams on the inside.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Nice looking Tabbys. Looks like they are helping.

Nice job...

Tabbys sound like the german " Trabbi" from the previouse  German Democratic Republic , the Trabbi was the technical highlight of the car industry , you had to wait years for delivery.

trabbi.thumb.jpg.c1088622de2e8006db610e8e93a55641.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

That´s a great Job you´re doing André ....looking forward to see more

This week and the next i´m off from work, so i finally can get some things done and my Heresys were number one!

While i´m waiting for the K77s to be re-magnetized, i con work on my "new/ old" Dual and get that running again.

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Nice looking Tabbys. Looks like they are helping.

Nice job...

Ha, well as long as they´re not trying to chew up any cables... They already totaled one extension cord. I didn´t notice until it went "puff" when i plugged it in...

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Tabbys sound like the german " Trabbi" from the previouse  German Democratic Republic , the Trabbi was the technical highlight of the car industry , you had to wait years for delivery.

trabbi.thumb.jpg.c1088622de2e8006db610e8e93a55641.jpg

Just what I like. A no frills all business only car...No ac needed. Looks official...lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

abbys sound like the german " Trabbi" from the previouse  German Democratic Republic , the Trabbi was the technical highlight of the car industry , you had to wait years for delivery.

Looks about the size of the '56 Ford Prefect I drove while in high school. What a fun car that was.

About Tabby Cats...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabby_cat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1