Heritage Heresy Facelift

AndreG.

I also found some more dents that i didn´t see before, because the old finish was so dark. Hope i will find the time to get some more work done tomorrow.

Also, my K77 are on their way to get re-magnetized, maybe new diaphragms as well, depending on wht the techs say.

• Like 1

Got some work done again:

IMG_2011.thumb.jpg.b8186c476aefb8cf96b8fd104c54d58e.jpg

IMG_2023.thumb.jpg.c07b3683942a3120e9732af1333914f4.jpg

Fixing the ripped veneer worked better than I´d hoped for. All the missing chips i plan to fill wish wood-repair-wax; that will be Terra Incognita for me. As I see it different shades of wax will have to be mixed and blended to the veneer, once it´s oiled and waxed. 

• Like 2

Further progress, painted the motor boards and the backs of the cabinets this weekend:

IMG_2037.jpg.56b0b20e3c6c04e08bda4dc49b41c1b2.jpg

The labels suffered a little from the masking tape, but the important print is ok-

IMG_2034.jpg.91cf811802f84964c466f3ed93ea8816.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg.ff4ff8f47e3d723524e41fce10c97ebf.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg.877e9faae13b1c657d1a554a08f58096.jpg

There were some very minor mishaps from painting, a matter of a little sanding. Once that is done, I can start oiling and waxing the wood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something else I noticed when I took out the drivers; I´ve read here somewhere, that it can be beneficial to turn the woofers 180° when putting them back in. If I do that, the connecting cables to the XOs will be too short. 

I thought about using the the wires that connected the terminals to the XOs and buy new ones to replace them. That way all wires coming from the XOs going to the drivers will be the same (original).

What AWG are the internal wires? Saw it somewhere, but forgot...

8 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Something else I noticed when I took out the drivers; I´ve read here somewhere, that it can be beneficial to turn the woofers 180° when putting them back in. If I do that, the connecting cables to the XOs will be too short. 

I thought about using the the wires that connected the terminals to the XOs and buy new ones to replace them. That way all wires coming from the XOs going to the drivers will be the same (original).

Don't bother.  Both Trey and the Chief have said there's no reason to do it.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:50 AM, AndreG. said:

A bit of progress:

My makeshift tool against sanding through the veneer on the front edges:

IMG_2006.thumb.jpg.0f369f91377a7bfd327d2c0d0913adc7.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg.1954f83b7d2f25d92e0170a778070cdd.jpg

I really like these 2 pictures since we see  your cat  and ..........

Andre , You did an excellent  job on the speakers  .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Guess it´s AWG 18 , yes rotate the drivers at 180 degrees , that´s good for the voice coil after such a log time. Has something to do with magetic fields.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:52 PM, AndreG. said:

Ok, if Roy and Trey say so, and hey, they work for 45 years now, right? Thanks Wuzzer, for the quick input!

I once heard that stamped sheet metal chassis can be rotated 180 degrees after years. Because a heavy magnet could deform the sheet metal by gravity, and you just let the force act the other way around by rotating it. This way the voice coil stays centered. At least you can't go wrong with this measure, and we do have stamped chassis in the original Heritage speaker. Whether it is really necessary I do not know.

• Like 2

I´m very worried... It seems DHL misplaced the shipment with the tweeters I had send off to be re-magnetized. Last time movement was tracked was on the 22nd of March. 

Only found out about this, when I called the shop, since I didn´t receive any messages of my tweeters getting there.

Have to wait now. 

6 hours ago, KT88 said:

I once heard that stamped sheet metal chassis can be rotated 180 degrees after years. Because a heavy magnet could deform the sheet metal by gravity, and you just let the force act the other way around by rotating it. This way the voice coil stays centered. At least you can't go wrong with this measure, and we do have stamped chassis in the original Heritage speaker. Whether it is really necessary I do not know.

Well I´m doing this procedure every two years , even if I don´t know if it´s true or not, but it calms the mind 😄

• 2 weeks later...

So after writing with some knowledgeable people, i decided to take off the lower edge on one cabinet after all. I was convinced that the missing pieces were to large an to close to the edges to be filled up with wax...

IMG_2068.thumb.jpg.08c62b6507044c1c5c138aa0bf101491.jpg

• Like 1