Cd Player For Klipsch Speakers

To go with a pair of 6000f speakers i intend to acquire,what would be a good cd player to go with it,perhaps a player on the warm side to tame any harshess comeing from the horn tweeters.My budget for a new cd player is anywhere from 600 to 900 dollars,a grand to stretch it to the max.I have an 80 wpc NAD integrated amplifier that even though i bought it in 2001,it still works great,and have never had any problem with it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, milwaukeebill said:

To go with a pair of 6000f speakers i intend to acquire,what would be a good cd player to go with it,perhaps a player on the warm side to tame any harshess comeing from the horn tweeters.My budget for a new cd player is anywhere from 600 to 900 dollars,a grand to stretch it to the max.I have an 80 wpc NAD integrated amplifier that even though i bought it in 2001,it still works great,and have never had any problem with it.  

Welcome to the forum!

I'm very happy with my entry level Marantz CD5005, which is entry level. Marantz has a rep to produce a slightly warm sound.

With a budget like yours, I would go the Marantz ND8006, which combines a cd player with an advanced network streamer: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/marantz-nd8006

Note: no SACD.

Another path to follow could be a high end blu-ray player (with multi-channel capabilities). I have no personel experience with that, though.

I would not hesitate to recommend this.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/collections/nad-electronics/products/nad-electronics-c-546bee-cd-player-factory-refurbished

C546BEE_777d2749-5f0f-4f01-bd2c-207137438d04_1800x1800.jpeg?v=1571714288

I have owned the older version C542 for several years and it has been rock solid.  Fast punchy tempo with a warmish signature but very detailed.  Of all the CD players I have owned, which has been over a dozen, the 542 is by far the best sounding player to date.  Some of the players I have owned were multi thousand dollar ones and this older budget player bests them all.

Bill

There are some interesting suggestions here for good CD players (personally I like some of the Marantz models - depending on budget). 

However, the OP wants a CD player that is both good and "will tame the harshness in the speakers". That is really a different question. Asking a CD player to fix a flaw in the speakers is probably not going to go very far. I would look for other solutions (including different speakers), if that is the problem you are trying to fix.

Good luck, 

-Tom

Might consider older Pioneer Elites with their stable platter tray(s). USaudiomart has a PD65 and PD59 currently listed. The 65 has a long and outstanding reputation although this one is overpriced at $600 (but include an Elite tuner). Four hundred would be a decent value.

Dont know much about the 59 but it too is stable platter, asking is $250. 
I mention these as I have the PD93 which was the top Elite model in the day, over $2K in the early nineties. Now these are past tremendous machine in sound and build -  and rare. So good in fact I bought a second one as backup. These take CD to the next level.

Another highly rated machine in from CEC which uses belt drive. I believe the model 51 series? Made in Japan and right there with the Pioneers. No harsh digital artifacts I can find - good luck

7 minutes ago, DJEditor said:

A little out of your $1k limit but the Yamaha CD S 1000 is a very nice addition to my HIVs.  Less harsh than my previous Sony SACD 6 CD player. 

Oh yeah.  Love mine.  Mates perfectly with my A-S1000 integrated amp.

Bill

I would eliminate the CD player all together and go Hi-Res streaming.

Think about it.

Every component in the signal chain adds it own anomalies - distortion, noise, phase errors, error correction (especially with CD - errors on the disc, laser reading errors), more cables, more breaks in the signal path. How is any of that going to make anything "sound better"? It won't. And it also makes a bad case for "system synergy" component matching as well. Especially since we no longer need the extra steps regarding the media itself as well as the components.

You may find out that your speakers aren't so harsh after all. Besides, the recording itself and the room you are listening in have much more to do with how everything sounds than even the speakers themselves much less a CD player.

But if you must, just get an Oppo that plays everything. Some even stream, although that still won't be as good as streaming directly to the amplifier.

EDIT: I notice that you have an NAD amplifier. FWIW NAD is at the forefront when it comes to Hi-Res streaming/Direct Digital Amplification.

I have an Oppo I use for movies but i still want just a cd only player.In addition to all of the above mentioned models I am also adding to consideration the Audio Lab 6000 cd transport,the 800 dollar model made by NAD and the Tascam 500 which is a professional model but excels as a home unit.The latter is according to the proprietor,Vladimir of North Country Audio who used to sell them though the business may have closed recently.With any of these cd players under consideration,I intend to connect a Mytek Liberty dac that retails for 1000 dollars,a real giant killer for the price,I have been told.The addition of the Mytek dac will be to smooth out any harshness in the various cd recording I have,increase the sound stage in width and depth and improve bass definition. 

• Like 1

Seriously, for the money you are talking about I would spend very little on a fancy CD player.

With all the talk about "harshness" I would either use different speakers (that don't sound "harsh"), or I would get a moderately priced CD player and put the rest of the money toward a DSP unit and equalize the sound to tame the "harshness". Anywhere from a Behringer DEQ for $300 or  Xilica for $1200. This is much better way to tackle the harshness.

IOW, CD players are not very good as "equalizers". 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

Re,harshness:

I first became aware of this when I was over at a friend's house where we were listening to some of his later Maynard Ferguson cds via his pair of Klipsch R-620s.The trumpets sounded rather screechy but nevertheless I became hooked on the Klipsch sound for that,"being right in front of the band" feeling became addictive.The stuff Maynard recorded from the late 70s on were very fusion heavy and his trumpet section seemed to being frequently hitting the high notes for the sake of doing so,but perhaps that became his intended trade mark.Because I have alot of big band cds in my collection,I am looking for smoothness in the high frequencies in both a cd player and in floor standing speakers which is why I will be adding a dac to the disc player.

I do like Maynard Ferguson but prefer his albums from the late 50s into the mid 60s and the 5 trumpeted Stan Kenton orchestra who also had 5 trombones and 5 saxes.[!]