Another (my first) Class D DIY amp

babadono

20 minutes ago, babadono said:

I could remote the P.S. to the attic:) It's already in a separate utility room and still too loud. Sucks.

Try a Peltier cooler with Thermal Grease to the case and disable the Fan.

https://www.lairdthermal.com/products/thermoelectric-cooler-modules/peltier-utx-series/UTX11-12-F2-3030-TA-RT-W6/pdf

• Like 1

21 hours ago, babadono said:

See smoke?:) Anyway i know lots of DIYs use Antek Toroids in their own P.S. designs. I noticed they also make the whole P.S. with their toroids and a bridge and some caps. Anybody ever used their P.S.?

Is it a 12v fan?  If so get an Enermax Enlobal fan.  You'll never hear it.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

@babadono , I haven't been following closely.  No on/off switch?

I use all class D amps in my full 11 channel Atmos/2 ch. system. I NEVER turn off my Class D amps, Plus they are on a power strip, so there's the switch when I need it since all my amps AC cords are plugged into it. So an INDIVIDUAL switch on the amps is REDUNDANT in practical use and not really needed, since they draw such little power at idle. Also, since Babadono is a Klipsch guy, I think he could just unplug the offending FAN and get away with it, since he will never draw much power from that supply. I have 2 sets of those myself I have yet to build and that is what I will try sooner or later...................

12 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think he could just unplug the offending FAN and get away with it,

I agree.  The fan in my Mean Well 48v power supply has NEVER turned on, to the best of my knowledge.  If it did, I would disable it.  I removed the fans in my iNuke 1000dsp amps powering my TH subs.  That has never been a problem.  Like Claude, I leave my class-D amps powered on at all times.  The amount of current drawn at idle is insignificant.  There is no longer a single incandescent bulb in my house.  The savings from the LEDS more than makes up for the class-D amps at rest.

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

@babadono , I haven't been following closely.  No on/off switch?

Indirectly there is power on/off. Its in the power disribution panel/chassis that I built. All equipment in my rack in the utility room gets powered up/sequenced by the power panel. All the other equipment which have power switches stay in the 'ON' position all the time. Then they receive their power from the panel .

It seems DizRotus's Meanwell supply uses a cooling fan with a thermal control/sensor of some sort, where with your unit the fan is just "on".

Do the Meanwell power supply specs/data mention whether they are fan cooled thermally, or just fan/air cooled?

I've never noticed or paid enough attention when I browsed through the specs with regard to Meanwell supplies.

2 hours ago, mike stehr said:

It seems DizRotus's Meanwell supply uses a cooling fan with a thermal control/sensor of some sort, where with your unit the fan is just "on".

Do the Meanwell power supply specs/data mention whether they are fan cooled thermally, or just fan/air cooled?

I've never noticed or paid enough attention when I browsed through the specs with regard to Meanwell supplies.

Apparently, my Mean Well LRS-350-48 has a fan that is thermally switchable to ON or OFF.  I have never heard or seen the fan in operation.  Reviewers at Amazon refer to the fan being noisy.  Either the unit never gets warm enough to trigger the fan, or the fan is broken (highly unlikely).  In any case, overheating of the PS or the TPA3255EVM has never been a problem.

I set the PS output voltage at 48v and forget it.  The exterior ON/OFF switch controls AC to the PS, but as I said above, it is on 24/7.

That’s one of my Pono players sitting on the Mean Well.

TPA3225EVM.thumb.jpg.f97482699864649f59c534ceac680069.jpg

BF013498-9A81-4CA4-AF29-E5FC6476B664.jpeg

Well I guess I will attempt disabling the fan. The P.S. never got warm even when the amp gave an overtemp warning. And yes the supply I chose has the fan on all the time. I just did not realize when I purchased that it would be so loud that it can still be heard from a remote location with the door closed.

@mike stehr I don't understand this question:

On 7/31/2020 at 10:09 PM, mike stehr said:

I was curious if the data/specifications indicate whether or not the cooling fan is controlled with a temperature sensor, or if the specs indicate just fan cooling with no temperature sensor.

All I have noticed from looking at the specs is that some supplies could have an on/off switch for the cooling fan, or it just indicates forced air cooling.

23 hours ago, babadono said:

Well I guess I will attempt disabling the fan. The P.S. never got warm even when the amp gave an overtemp warning. And yes the supply I chose has the fan on all the time. I just did not realize when I purchased that it would be so loud that it can still be heard from a remote location with the door closed.

@mike stehr I don't understand this question:

The PS starts to de-rate at 105 F.