Choosing AV receiver for RP-600M Dolby Atmos system

QuangAnh

Hello everyone,

For years I've been using powered bookshelf speakers for everything, music, movies tv... Currently I'm using a pair of Edifier S1000, connected to my TV's optical port through a Fiio D03K DAC. 

I am planning an overhaul to my entertainment system and I need your help with choosing an AV receiver to match. This is my setup plan:

- LG C9 55" OLED TV 

- Xbox One as a blu-ray player (to be replaced when the new one comes out)

- RP-600M 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Home Theater System (600m + 500c + 500m + 500sa + spl-100) 

- an AV receiver of your advice

My plan is to connect my TV to the receiver via HDMI ARC ports. My main source will be the TV, I watch Netflix/Amazon on the TV's apps. The Xbox is mostly for games only.

Since I know nothing about amplifiers or av receivers, I found it very confusing to choose one for my setup. I read in the Help page that I should choose the ones that have enough power output per channel for the according speakers but I still don't really understand it. For example, I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X3700H, which has 105W output, which is enough for the front, center, side and height speakers. However the SPL-100 sub woofer needs 200W. This is the part where it gets confusing for me. I've looked at the most expensive AVR-X8500H and it only gets to 150W. 

By the way, I've looked at the manual of the AVR-X3700H to see the instruction on connecting speakers. I don't know how to connect the two Front Height speakers. It has ports for 2 Fronts, Center, 2 Surrounds and 2 Surround Backs. I don't know where to connect the two Front Height speakers to.

I would love to hear your advice, any opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance! 

32 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

The sub is self powered so the receiver's power doesn't matter. 

Thank you for pointing out!

By the way, can you please show me how to properly connect the front height speakers to the receiver?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:51 AM, QuangAnh said:

Hello everyone,

For years I've been using powered bookshelf speakers for everything, music, movies tv... Currently I'm using a pair of Edifier S1000, connected to my TV's optical port through a Fiio D03K DAC. 

I am planning an overhaul to my entertainment system and I need your help with choosing an AV receiver to match. This is my setup plan:

- LG C9 55" OLED TV 

- Xbox One as a blu-ray player (to be replaced when the new one comes out)

- RP-600M 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Home Theater System (600m + 500c + 500m + 500sa + spl-100) 

- an AV receiver of your advice

My plan is to connect my TV to the receiver via HDMI ARC ports. My main source will be the TV, I watch Netflix/Amazon on the TV's apps. The Xbox is mostly for games only.

Since I know nothing about amplifiers or av receivers, I found it very confusing to choose one for my setup. I read in the Help page that I should choose the ones that have enough power output per channel for the according speakers but I still don't really understand it. For example, I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X3700H, which has 105W output, which is enough for the front, center, side and height speakers. However the SPL-100 sub woofer needs 200W. This is the part where it gets confusing for me. I've looked at the most expensive AVR-X8500H and it only gets to 150W. 

By the way, I've looked at the manual of the AVR-X3700H to see the instruction on connecting speakers. I don't know how to connect the two Front Height speakers. It has ports for 2 Fronts, Center, 2 Surrounds and 2 Surround Backs. I don't know where to connect the two Front Height speakers to.

I would love to hear your advice, any opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance! 

Your setup will be very much like my setup, I have RP600M, RP500C and RP500M as my five ear level speakers.

For Atmos / Height channels I use 4 older Jamo S60 Sur speakers, but that doesn't matter for your AVR choice.

You first have to decide if you might be going for external amplification is a later stadium, so that means an avr with pre-outs for your speakers, so not only for the subwoofer.

Also you have to decide what type of sound you want, a little warmer sound comes from example a Marantz, Denon is just very good, me personaly I really like Onkyo, so I have an Onkyo TX-RZ830. Also you have to think if you later might want to for 5.1.4 insteat of 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 or something, so it is important to see what the avr of your choice will be able to process in total.

All AVR's will never give much more than 100 watt per channel, especially not when there more channels driven than 2. Maybe an AVR will say 105 watts per channel when 2 channel driven, but with 5.1.2 setup, so 7 speakers asking power for the avr, there will only about 60/70 watt per channel available. Meaning you might want to go for an avr with the pre outs I mentioned earlier, so you are able to add external amplification in a later stadium.

• Like 1

According to the information you have provided about speaker setup you won't have the ability to run height speakers at this time. It looks as if you can run a 7.1 or possibly 7.2 if you have dual sub pre outs. To run heights you will need to sacrifice the rears and use that input as your heights  but I am no expert in this field.  It will all be up to your listening tastes so you may want to experiment a bit. If it were me I would rather use it as 2 fronts,center,2 surrounds(sides) and 2 rears with 1 or 2 subs and leave out the height channel. To have a 9.1 or 9.2 etc to utilize the height channel you will need a AVR with the additional processing ability and 2 more speaker terminals similar to 2 fronts,center,2 surrounds(sides) 2 rears,2 heights. I don't know anything about the AVR-X3700H so others may chime in with suggestions regarding this unit. These speakers are efficient so going for the most expensive AVR based on wattage is the wrong approach. Look for usable features that suite you and by all means ask questions about what you are looking at if you don't go with the 3700. I can only recommend Onkyo as far as AVR's are concerned as that is the only brand I have ever owned so I don't have anything else to compare them to. As mentioned above you can always add power with external amps if the AVR of choice has pre outs .

• 2 weeks later...