Yamaha A S2200

Buddy Shagmore

I set it up a few hours ago, paired with a Yamaha CD S2100 SACD/DAC, into Chorus II's. Before this, I used a Marantz 2245. My initial impressions are very good. My old warhorse Marantz is warmer, but the Yamaha reveals more and finer detail, and is a bit tighter with the bass notes. On Junior Brown's "Read 'Em And Weep", I hear his finger squeaks on the acoustic guitar I never heard before. The dynamics are stunning, and the horns and strings on "Ski Run" by John Barry are very clear and tight. The bass and treble controls, and the VU meters are useful and up the drool factor. I feel I got an upgrade with this unit. The Chorus II's are a good match. I surely now have the finest hi-fi system on my block. 😎

• Like 4

I haven't had or even heard the A-S2200, but it looks great. I have the A-S1000 is service right now going into the Belle. 

6 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

Before this, I used a Marantz 2245. My initial impressions are very good. My old warhorse Marantz is warmer, but the Yamaha reveals more and finer detail, and is a bit tighter with the bass notes.

Has the Marantz been rebuilt / refreshed lately? 

27 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I haven't had or even heard the A-S2200, but it looks great. I have the A-S1000 is service right now going into the Belle. 

Has the Marantz been rebuilt / refreshed lately? 

Yes, the Marantz was restored by Tom at Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley, CA, and functions like new. No issues at all. LEDs too. Wonderful receiver, I am keeping it with the idea of building a 2nd system. I am fighting off the urge to go audition the Cornwall IV's...already spent a pile of scratch on the Yamaha!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the A-S1200 to pair with some Heresy IVs. I have heard the A-S1200 described as "forward" in the upper mid and lower treble by "Zero Fidelity" in a recent review. I know the A-S1200 lacks balanced outputs ( which is not a big factor for me) but is very similar to the A-S2200. Does anybody have experience with the new Yamaha line of integrated amps and the Heresy IVs ?

No experience with the Heresy IV's. Just have Chorus II's and HP 3 headphones. I would think any of the Heritage line would excel with this amp. A nice feature is the trim knob when using headphones. There are 4 settings...I like the setting +6. Modern recordings with bass up in the mix, really sound amazing. "Music Volume 3 Herb Alpert Reimagines the Tijuana Brass", "Tramp" by Steve Miller, and "Adore You" by Harry Styles really kick. This is a very fine unit, I recommend it highly. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DJEditor said:

I am interested in the A-S1200 to pair with some Heresy IVs. I have heard the A-S1200 described as "forward" in the upper mid and lower treble by "Zero Fidelity" in a recent review. I know the A-S1200 lacks balanced outputs ( which is not a big factor for me) but is very similar to the A-S2200. Does anybody have experience with the new Yamaha line of integrated amps and the Heresy IVs ?

Excellent with Heresy 3  --------

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, pringlere said:

I just purchased the A-S2200 to match my Yamaha CD S2100 and am looking at getting the Heresy or Cornwall IVs to replace RF 82s.  Any recommendations welcomed.  I mostly listen to classical music.  Thanks

Rob

stick with the CW4  -------but if you can also  mate the RF-82 with any version of the Heresy ---on the same amp ----they would go well together

• 2 weeks later...

The three new models seem very similar. The specs are almost the same. So is weight. Pricing seems to be the main difference. 

Stereophile recently reviewed the top model, A S3200. The reviews are always  worthless. But the technical testing is first rate. The amplifier section had a measured S/N ratio of 70 dB! Bandwidth limited and A-weighted this improved to 82 dB. The published spec for all three models is 110 dB. 

Do not know if there is a reason. But 28 dB higher noise than spec at these prices is noteworthy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Panelhead said:

The amplifier section had a measured S/N ratio of 70 dB! Bandwidth limited and A-weighted this improved to 82 dB. The published spec for all three models is 110 dB. 

Do not know if there is a reason. But 28 dB higher noise than spec at these prices is noteworthy.

Yamaha A-S3200 spec'd below.

S/N ratio: single-ended, 110dB; balanced, 114dB. 

Though I am not an electrical/electronics engineer, this sparked my curiosity because my older lower tier A-S1000 is dead quiet even at max volume(no source playing) with my Klipsch RB-75s.

I pulled up another review from Stereophile, the Anthem STR D/A integrated amp.  Anthem is known for building some of the quietest amps you can buy so I thought that would be an appropriate review to compare. 

Here below are measured SNR vs spec'd of the Anthem STR.

the wideband, unweighted signal/noise ratio (ref. 2.83V into 8 ohms) measured 76.8dB. Restricting the measurement bandwidth to 22kHz increased the ratio to 83.7dB, and an A-weighting filter increased it further, to 86.4dB. (All ratios are the average of the two channels.) 

vs

Signal/noise (1kHz, IEC-A, 2V RMS out): digital in, 44.1kHz, 112dB; analog in, DSP mode, 110dB; analog in, direct mode, 120dB. 

Stereophile must use some really tight tolerances in their measurements because of the similar differences from measured to spec'd of both the Yamaha and the Anthem.

Bill

Has anyone compared with their own ears the A-S 2200 with the A-S1200 ? I know the 2200 has a balanced in and a different material is used in the feet supporting the unit.  Are there any other differences likely to affect sound quality ?

I'd be powering a pair of  Heresy IV's , are either of these integrateds a good match for the IV's.