Anyone Retire to Another State?

Sam S.

• Moderators

Yes I did move to a different state and it was a big difference from what I was used to.

The state of I am not doing it unless I want to, and no I don't have to be somewhere on time.  But one of the best parts of being here is I'll get around to everything whenever I feel like it.

Love this place, wish I could have moved here 50 years ago.

• Like 2

We moved to Mexico...tired of all the BS going on in the US, high taxes, and in general just to expensive to live when retired.

Positives:

$300 a year for property taxes

electricity is around $50 a month

water bill is about $20 for our bottled water

about $20 for our city water

Full coverage auto insurance on our 2013 van is $600 a year

Phone bill for 2 cellphones $50

Cable internet $20

Netflix HD $10

Food is also cheaper if you shop around

Bus fare is about 50 cents to go the full run on the bus

Garbage pickup twice a week...free

You can live off Social Security

New Hospital just built 2 years ago

New mall being built now, and another new theater

Less than 1 hour to Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, HEB, and Best Buy, and a huge maal that has very high end merchandise

Nice theater 10 minutes from our house, where movies are a couple of bucks for current movies in USA Theaters

Radio Shack is by the theater

2 large grocery stores that are just like in the USA

Liverpool which is like a Macys

Exellent restaurants for not much money

No AC required, no heater required either in our home due to weather of high 80s max usually, and nights gojng down to 40s average

We have beautiful weather year round, and the people are very friendly

Cons:

Importing items is expensive 17%, plus we pay $1 a kilo to have it delivered to us from Texas.

Internet sucks depending on where you live...2 block from our house is fiber internet...no idea when we will get it on our street.

Gas price is about the same as California

You can live as inexpensive as you like or as luxurious as you like here.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

They gave billions out and there is zero to be repaid to the Government. That means there is zero reason to raise the retirement age, due to the pandemic. Now for years they have been talking about raising the retirement age due to people living longer. I would not be surprised if taxes are raised though due to all the money they gave to the bllionares and bailouts. Of course the middle class will be the one to pay for it in taxes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coytee said:

Edit to add:  You might look  up Maryville, TN.  At one time, I think I read that it was the fastest growing city in the country.  Then again, maybe they all say that but, it IS a nice small town with all the goodies and close to Knoxville.  You are at the foothills of the Smokey Mountains.

I was born and raised in Maryville and it makes me sad to see the unbelievable increase in population and shift from a small community to a place where houses are being thrown up on tiny lots as fast as they can with the loss of the original rural beauty and small community feeling where everyone new or new of almost everyone else living here back then. Even the beautiful Mountains natural beauty is being destroyed by the building of private homes and commercial rentals on the tops and sides of the mountains. 

I didn’t move away from my home town it has disappeared due to overwhelming development. 

miketn 😔

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I was born and raised in Maryville and it makes me sad to see the unbelievable increase in population and shift from a small community to a place where houses are being thrown up on tiny lots as fast as they can with the loss of the original rural beauty and small community feeling where everyone new or new of almost everyone else living here back then. Even the beautiful Mountains natural beauty is being destroyed by the building of private homes and commercial rentals on the tops and sides of the mountains. 

I didn’t move away from my home town it has disappeared due to overwhelming development. 

miketn 😔

That is pretty much the American experience.  I've seen it time and time again.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I was born and raised in Maryville

Have been through Maryville many times, the first few times many years ago we loved it, as we went through we even said this is a great looking town, I would love to live here. The last time a couple years ago the traffic was getting pretty bad and it didn't feel like the small town it once was but still a pretty area.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:57 PM, BigStewMan said:

Left Los Angeles and went to Oregon. State income tax for me is HIGHER in Oregon -- which caught me off guard so I found myself owing several thousands of dollars when I did my taxes.. No Sales tax here though. Weather not even close to being as nice. Housing a lot cheaper. 

Never realized how much weather can affect my mood, so this move has been rough. 

there are things that I don't miss about SoCal, but things that I really miss a lot.

I didn't think Oregon was going to be a better place, and it's certainly not -- I just wanted to experience something different. 

Do a lot of thinking about what really matters to you. Sadly, sometimes those things aren't realized until we no longer have them; but one can only do the best they can.  I thought I could deal with the weather; but have found that this constant dampness is maddening. 

The eastern half of Oregon would be the flip side,  but pretty remote.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:58 PM, Sam S. said:

If so, where and why? Currently, I live smack dab in the middle of the country (Nebraska), and am getting tired of high taxes, cold in winter and hot/humid in the summers. Have a few years to go working, but guy can plan and research can't he? Anyway, post your experience or thoughts. Where, and Why.

Thanks!

Interesting topic, been thinking same for about a year now.  Was thinking once the youngest leaves the coop we'd down size the house but stay within 100 mi. of where we currently are, but we'd like to get investigate cost and options for a 2nd home beach get-away.....   wife wants Maui, but my preference is someplace in the Caribbean; Virgin Gorda, Belize???

On 7/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, dbomberger said:

Grew up in Lincoln, lived in North Platte, and Omaha (mostly) until 4.5 years ago when I retired and moved to Green Valley, AZ.  A half hour south of Tucson.  20 minutes to home depot, a retirement community of about 30,000.  I've always wanted to live in Arizona and when I retired it happened.  This is the Sonoran Desert at about 3000 feet.  Great place really at least from my perspective. I actually bought my home about four years before I retired and spent plenty of time there before.  The annual monsoons started yesterday, and they are a great experience. It does get hot, but much more comfortable than Omaha in the summer. 

That's good mule deer country.

24 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

The eastern half of Oregon would be the flip side,  but pretty remote.

yes it is ... spent my first two years away from LA in Central Oregon.  Arid climate, much colder, snow; but isolated.  90,000 people in the middle of nowhere.

We Moved from Washington DC/ Northern VA

to West Virginia.

While there are some things I miss,

traffic isn't one of them.

Miss do miss my Greek Salads at The Montclaire Family Restaurant.

I Love living on WV. No other place I'd rather be out side of The Smokies.

No Traffic, No Riots, Lots of Wildlife.

Much Lower Cost of Living and I have

Lots of Guns and Ammo.

REDNECKS--3333.jpg

It seams like anywhere you move to...it is great in the beginning, and then when everyone finds out how nice it is the place grows, and crime grows with it. Pick the best neighorhood you can when you move is my advice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The irony is that people are not living longer anymore.

Let me gently reword this.....  with the pandemic, we're all likely to have shortened life spans and the govt will save tons on social security.  So, if they're forward looking, "gee, we're going to save trillions on social security expenses....  let's throw them a bone today and give them a pandemic check....maybe they'll vote us back in before checking out"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

miketn 😔

You're right Mike.

We need to post a sign on 321 heading into town....  "Go Away!"

:ph34r2:

• Like 1