Anyone Retire to Another State?

Sam S.

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Let me gently reword this.....  with the pandemic, we're all likely to have shortened life spans and the govt will save tons on social security.  So, if they're forward looking, "gee, we're going to save trillions on social security expenses....  let's throw them a bone today and give them a pandemic check....maybe they'll vote us back in before checking out"

Not too far off the mark.  There is also the fact that our longevity curve had already flattened and slightly decreased even before the virus.  The reasons for that are beyond the scope of the tos.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, garyrc said:

We went from living in Oakland, working in San Francisco (few can afford to live there now) to retiring to Oregon.  

• No Sales Tax -- so helpful in buying stuff.
  • Weather not so bad, get to see snow a few days a year, fall colors.  Beautiful sky and clouds,

how about the huge trees -------

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyH 000 said:

how about the huge trees -------

(having never been there)  I'd say they're probably beautiful....until one upends and lands on your car or house.  Remember the Wicked Witch of the West....  it curled her toes.

6 hours ago, Negatron said:

We moved to Mexico...tired of all the BS going on in the US, high taxes, and in general just to expensive to live when retired.

Positives:

$300 a year for property taxes

electricity is around $50 a month

water bill is about $20 for our bottled water

about $20 for our city water

Full coverage auto insurance on our 2013 van is $600 a year

Phone bill for 2 cellphones $50

Cable internet $20

Netflix HD $10

Food is also cheaper if you shop around

Bus fare is about 50 cents to go the full run on the bus

Garbage pickup twice a week...free

You can live off Social Security

New Hospital just built 2 years ago

New mall being built now, and another new theater

Less than 1 hour to Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, HEB, and Best Buy, and a huge maal that has very high end merchandise

Nice theater 10 minutes from our house, where movies are a couple of bucks for current movies in USA Theaters

Radio Shack is by the theater

2 large grocery stores that are just like in the USA

Liverpool which is like a Macys

Exellent restaurants for not much money

No AC required, no heater required either in our home due to weather of high 80s max usually, and nights gojng down to 40s average

We have beautiful weather year round, and the people are very friendly

Cons:

Importing items is expensive 17%, plus we pay $1 a kilo to have it delivered to us from Texas.

Internet sucks depending on where you live...2 block from our house is fiber internet...no idea when we will get it on our street.

Gas price is about the same as California

You can live as inexpensive as you like or as luxurious as you like here.

looks like it's heaven to me

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Coytee said:

(having never been there)  I'd say they're probably beautiful....until one upends and lands on your car or house.  Remember the Wicked Witch of the West....  it curled her toes.

you're a gonner if that ever happens , lights are out forever , that's like becoming a fly

1 minute ago, RandyH 000 said:

you're a gonner if that ever happens , lights are out forever , that's like becoming a fly

Think I can imagine to a degree.  When I lived in Charleston, SC..., I fortunately had two cars.  A pine tree died, fell over.  It was maybe something like 10 inches diameter....  landed square on the roof of the car behind windshield and parallel to it.  Essentially folded the roof down to the seats.

I'd think if one of those slightly larger trees did same, it would pancake it.  Maybe a Waffle  House waffle....  somewhere between the two.

37 minutes ago, Coytee said:

... with the pandemic, we're all likely to have shortened life spans and the govt will save tons on social security.  So, if they're forward looking, "gee, we're going to save trillions on social security expenses....  let's throw them a bone today and give them a pandemic check....maybe they'll vote us back in before checking out"

And let's give every penny we save on Social Security to the billionaires.  (😖)

Just now, Coytee said:

Think I can imagine to a degree.  When I lived in Charleston, SC..., I fortunately had two cars.  A pine tree died, fell over.  It was maybe something like 10 inches diameter....  landed square on the roof of the car behind windshield and parallel to it.  Essentially folded the roof down to the seats.

I'd think if one of those slightly larger trees did same, it would pancake it.  Maybe a Waffle  House waffle....  somewhere between the two.

we've had  2  big maples trees fall on 2 of our houses  ,after a mini hurricane ----no one was home