Anyone Retire to Another State?

Sam S.

47 minutes ago, Coytee said:

(having never been there)  I'd say they're probably beautiful....until one upends and lands on your car or house.  Remember the Wicked Witch of the West....  it curled her toes.

44 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Dang, I thought I did that.

Oldtimer!   Oldtimer!!   Wake up — you’re having another dream —   

That just took the appeal from me.  

Well it is Mexico...you do not expect Mexicans? My wife calls it Adult Disneyland because there are always parties, and celebrations almost 365 days a year.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Negatron said:

Well it is Mexico...you do not expect Mexicans? My wife calls it Adult Disneyland because there are always parties, and celebrations almost 365 days a year.

It's the Disney part that puts us off.  Not the Mexicans.  Attach the disney connotation and I get nausea.

9 minutes ago, Negatron said:

Well it is Mexico...you do not expect Mexicans? My wife calls it Adult Disneyland because there are always parties, and celebrations almost 365 days a year

The Mexicans can  teach us  a thing or two about having fun , the simple  way , and enjoy life every day -La Fiesta Senor y Sinoritas -

• Like 2

The Mexicans can  teach us  a thing or two about having fun , the simple  way , and enjoy life every day -La Fiesta Senor y Sinoritas -
After we moved here.... I told my wife Mexicans know how to party!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

What was his screen name....  Last I heard, if anyone here remembers Dragonfryer (if I recall correct spelling) he moved to China and was going to teach English.

DRAGONFRYER has been gone for a long time ,  last post about Dragonfryer was this one  by Arky  in 2010

Trachorns in the House

By deafbykhorns, February 24, 2010 in Technical/Modifications

Rate this topic

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Arky

• Klipsch Fanatic
  •  
  • Arky
  • Heritage Members
  • 5037 posts

Let's petition Amy to bring back Parrot, mas/dragonfryer, Craig, Roy, Dean........made for good reading.

I retired a little over a year ago. I live in Michigan. So the first thing a Michigander thinks about upon retiring is moving to FLA, or somewhere else warm. But here is the thing: living in MI, you get 4 distinct seasons. Don't like the weather, wait a week.

We are now in a heat wave, mid ninety's all week long. In January I pray for this kind of weather. In July, I can't stand it. Too hot to do anything. Makes me rethink moving to FLA, and having to deal with this with no relief in sight. 

But it's cold and snowy half the year! So what! If you are retired, you don't have to go out in it. Project time! Spin records, build speakers. Enjoy not having to mow the lawn every 5 days.

I guess I'm too used to having different seasons to do different things in. The weather aligns nicely with my ADHD, so I don't have to stay focused on one thing for too long!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I retired a little over a year ago. I live in Michigan. So the first thing a Michigander thinks about upon retiring is moving to FLA, or somewhere else warm. But here is the thing: living in MI, you get 4 distinct seasons. Don't like the weather, wait a week.

We are now in a heat wave, mid ninety's all week long. In January I pray for this kind of weather. In July, I can't stand it. Too hot to do anything. Makes me rethink moving to FLA, and having to deal with this with no relief in sight. 

But it's cold and snowy half the year! So what! If you are retired, you don't have to go out in it. Project time! Spin records, build speakers. Enjoy not having to mow the lawn every 5 days.

I guess I'm too used to having different seasons to do different things in. The weather aligns nicely with my ADHD, so I don't have to stay focused on one thing for too long!

Yeah, well you probably have gas heat so you suck!!!  I'm stuck with a heat pump.  I'd love to have gas.  Well, your kind of gas.  Hmmm....still not sure I didn't leave myself open on that one.

• Haha 2

On 7/3/2020 at 10:10 AM, Negatron said:

We moved to Mexico...tired of all the BS going on in the US, high taxes, and in general just to expensive to live when retired.

Positives:

$300 a year for property taxes

electricity is around $50 a month

water bill is about $20 for our bottled water

about $20 for our city water

Full coverage auto insurance on our 2013 van is $600 a year

Phone bill for 2 cellphones $50

Cable internet $20

Netflix HD $10

Food is also cheaper if you shop around

Bus fare is about 50 cents to go the full run on the bus

Garbage pickup twice a week...free

You can live off Social Security

New Hospital just built 2 years ago

New mall being built now, and another new theater

Less than 1 hour to Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, HEB, and Best Buy, and a huge maal that has very high end merchandise

Nice theater 10 minutes from our house, where movies are a couple of bucks for current movies in USA Theaters

Radio Shack is by the theater

2 large grocery stores that are just like in the USA

Liverpool which is like a Macys

Exellent restaurants for not much money

No AC required, no heater required either in our home due to weather of high 80s max usually, and nights gojng down to 40s average

We have beautiful weather year round, and the people are very friendly

Cons:

Importing items is expensive 17%, plus we pay $1 a kilo to have it delivered to us from Texas.

Internet sucks depending on where you live...2 block from our house is fiber internet...no idea when we will get it on our street.

Gas price is about the same as California

You can live as inexpensive as you like or as luxurious as you like here.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:10 AM, Negatron said:

What community did you move to?  I've heard there are many American Retirees there.

• Like 1