Anyone Retire to Another State?

Sam S.

That would be a marijuana field.
Still not legal here, but it is decriminalized now. The current President said he was going to legalize, and allow importation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There is golf there?  I'm out.  Retirement is supposed to be enjoyable, not to be surrounded by effing golfers.
A lot of millionaires live here as it is one of the most expensive areas in Mexico. We have about 15k of xpats out of 80k population. A lot of our friends retired here and play golf...others live here part time and travel the world

12 minutes ago, Negatron said:

Still not legal here, but it is decriminalized now. The current President said he was going to legalize, and allow importation.

Canada is 100% legal ,

• Like 2

Canada is 100% legal ,

We looked atmoving to Canada, but we could not score enough points. One thing to remember is Canada will tax any income you have from outside of Canada, and Mexico doesn't.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Just now, Negatron said:

We looked atmoving to Canada, but we could not score enough points. One thing to remember is Canada will tax any income you have from outside of Canada, andMexico doesn't.

yes , but Medicare is free , - the Can$ at .074 cents USA , which can't hurt ----the only problem is the cold , you would have had to move West to BC  , which is the highest real estate cost -         

-now Mexico sounds better overall  , Concrete homes , dry wheather , great fruits and vegetables all year round  , no snow  ,, no cold   and the great hospitality of the Mexican people -

• Like 1

yes , but Medicare is free , - the Can$ at .074 cents USA , which can't hurt ----the only problem is the cold , you would have had to move West to BC  , which is the highest real estate cost -         

-now Mexico sounds better overall  , Concrete homes , dry wheather , great fruits and vegetables all year round  , no snow  ,, no cold   and the great hospitality of the Mexican people -
Yeah we were looking at Vacouver Island. We are in an area in Mexico that they call the cold mexico... I grew up in Michigan and have lived in Colorado, England and lastly in California, so the temps here are great.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:53 PM, dbomberger said:

Grew up in Lincoln, lived in North Platte, and Omaha (mostly) until 4.5 years ago when I retired and moved to Green Valley, AZ.  A half hour south of Tucson.  20 minutes to home depot, a retirement community of about 30,000.  I've always wanted to live in Arizona and when I retired it happened.  This is the Sonoran Desert at about 3000 feet.  Great place really at least from my perspective. I actually bought my home about four years before I retired and spent plenty of time there before.  The annual monsoons started yesterday, and they are a great experience. It does get hot, but much more comfortable than Omaha in the summer. 

I grew up in Phoenix, but I spent about 8 years in Omaha after living in Colorado for 7 years.  The heat+humidity in Omaha can be rough.  It always seemed to downpour at night (and wake me up), then get really hot the next day and super humid.  Winter caught me off guard. With not having a real winter growing up and then getting used to Colorado winters, Omaha was brutal for me and the reason why I finally left. I moved back to Colorado 4 years ago... I was trying to go back to Phoenix, but the wife wasn't on board. 

I get out to Omaha about twice a year in the summer, which I can do.  My wife is from North of Grand Island, so she makes the trip often. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldtimer said:

So social security and pensions are double taxed, once in the US and again in Canada?

There must be a way around this.  Such as keeping a TX address, and bank direct deposit?  How does Canada know what is income and what is simply your life savings?  

There must be a way around this.  Such as keeping a TX address, and bank direct deposit?  How does Canada know what is income and what is simply your life savings?  

The only way I think around it is to go for 6 months and then leave for 6 months and 1 day (and repeat). If you apply for a temporary residence or a permanent residence you have to list all your income to qualify, and the USA has agreements with Canada and Mexico to share the info. Also if you have a health issues the only way would be to make a substantial investment into Canada, or to be married to a Canadian as far as my research showed when we were looking in 2017. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

all  worldwide revenue  or savings  must be declared prior to immigration to any country   , and even if one is retired , one  still has to keep a permanent address to file the taxes in his country of origin    as one  is not technically a citizen of another country if he keeps residency of 180 days in the country of origin ,as  they remain a visitor , but not an immigrant  ----

a  bi-lateral  Tax Agreement with the IRS links  links the data  in the tax systems  of all countries who have ententes with the USA - and the passing at the borders is recorded in both countries of departure and landing on the way out and on the way in   for tax purposes ,  to determine  which country has to right to claim for the citizen -

• Like 1