Anyone Retire to Another State?

Sam S.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

good - we''ll retire in Texas -

Check the property taxes first in the County you are considering. They are much higher than states that have an income tax. If you think you will remain a significant consumer even in retirement on of the no sales tax states might be a bonus.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

all  worldwide revenue  or savings  must be declared prior to immigration to any country   , and even if one is retired , one  still has to keep a permanent address to file the taxes in his country of origin   

I don't think you have to declare anything in Monaco. Income earned in Monaco isn't taxable unless repatriated back to US.

47 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

as one  is not technically a citizen of another country if he keeps residency of 180 days in the country of origin ,as  they remain a visitor , but not an immigrant  ----

I don't know what this means. You don't become a citizen of another country based on how long you stay there, or how much or little you stay in the US. 

The US disfavors dual citizenship, and to become a legitimate citizen outside the US you are frequently required to renounce your US citizenship.

In many countries you cannot own real property if you are not a citizen.

I would research tax advantages of retirement in Thiland. They have created districts there that are supposed to provide a lot of tax advantages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

Check the property taxes first in the County you are considering. They are much higher than states that have an income tax. If you think you will remain a significant consumer even in retirement on of the no sales tax states might be a bonus.

thank you so much ,

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Thailand. They have created districts there that are supposed to provide a lot of tax advantages.

Yes , and even better or closer , are the Philippines and Puerto Rico  , 

I don't know what this means. You don't become a citizen of another country based on how long you stay there, or how much or little you stay in the US. 

The US disfavors dual citizenship, and to become a legitimate citizen outside the US you are frequently required to renounce your US citizenship.

In many countries you cannot own real property if you are not a citizen.

I would research tax advantages of retirement in Thiland. They have created districts there that are supposed to provide a lot of tax advantages.
The USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but they do not make you surrender your passport either unless the law changed in the last 10 years. Mexico does not require you denounce it either. I know a few years ago there was a US Government official that had passports for half a dozen countries too.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Negatron said:

The USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but they do not make you surrender your passport either unless the law changed in the last 10 years. Mexico does not require you denounce it either. I know a few years ago there was a US Government official that had passports for half a dozen countries too.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Remember that citizenship and taxation are two different animals.

JJK

On 7/5/2020 at 2:15 PM, Negatron said:

Still not legal here, but it is decriminalized now. The current President said he was going to legalize, and allow importation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Texas is now surrounded by states that have legalized for medicinal use. Texas should fall next. 

On 7/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I'd like to live in a place that meets the following:

small town - Maybe up to 100K but less is OK

a home depot (must have)

Good internet (must have)

supermarkets

a strip mall or two

a farmers market that has good produce

Other farming such as chickens, beef etc available from farmers

Hopefully decent weather.  I like the dry heat of the desert, but know that winters will be worse. 

low taxes (hopefully)

Plenty of water

you are looking for Camp Verde Ariz

On 7/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, grasshopper said:

That was Kauai when I was there.  ~50,000 people on the whole island.

I hear things have changed for the worse there. I dunno. Haven't been back in 20 years.

I lived on Kauai for 2 years , 1980 or so 

30 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Your geography is a lttle messed up

PR and PH  are countries , that are closer than Vietnam or Thailand  for ex-pats ,   that's all I was saying -

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

PR and PH  are countries , that are closer than Vietnam or Thailand  for ex-pats ,   that's all I was saying -

PR is a US territory and close. The Philippines is straight south of Japan and a 23 hour trip from here, almost the same as Thailand. It's about two hrs longer.

44 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I had considered the Philippines, but it is a no go at this point.  Extrajudicial killings sponsored by a government and approved by the masses is a very bad sign.  Perfect environment for a dictatorship to pop up. 

He only gets 6 years. Yes, he is still very popular, but a lot of the killings had nothing to do with Duterte. A debate/conversation for another time.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I'd like to live in a place that meets the following:

small town - Maybe up to 100K but less is OK

a home depot (must have)

Good internet (must have)

supermarkets

a strip mall or two

a farmers market that has good produce

Other farming such as chickens, beef etc available from farmers

Hopefully decent weather.  I like the dry heat of the desert, but know that winters will be worse. 

low taxes (hopefully)

Plenty of water

All of that minus low taxes in Placer County in CA

9 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I was there from '90 - '98

Kool

I live on secret   beach and Hanalei 

I was in the green harvest business , the things I did you could never get away with these days

• Like 1