Anyone Retire to Another State?

Sam S.

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I tried my hand at green harvest... it's whole different thing with the 12/12 all year.

I assume you were not one of the guys dangling from the helicopter, flying over the cane fields

nope , I was on the ground , hiding from the choppers 

• Like 1

I lived in Lihue and Hanamaulu.

I couldn't walk anywhere. People would always give me a ride, even if I just wanted to walk. 

Folks knew I worked at the bowling alley...one of two from the mainland. Some crazy times... a lotta fun... but, crazy. After you're there for a while, you find that it isn't as expensive to live. Only go to the grocery for absolute necessities. Fish was cheap. Most my ahi was free, but if I had to pay, going price was $3/lb for sashimi grade.

Found it interesting that import and domestic beer cost pretty much the same.... and still cringe at seeing Coors Light on the rocks...

Wouldn't be so strange now... Alcoholic seltzers and all...

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:43 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I had considered the Philippines, but it is a no go at this point.  Extrajudicial killings sponsored by a government and approved by the masses is a very bad sign.  Perfect environment for a dictatorship to pop up. 

I lived there in the 80s for 6 1/2 yrs, the place does better with a strong leader that goes after corruption than one that doesn't. The targets have been drug dealers, which to exist, have been ignored or protected by local law enforcement or politicians. Getting rid of the scum that sells illegal drugs naturally has mass appeal.

I intend to go back to Luzon in a few years, wife and I have a couple lots on a hillside in a gated community overlooking the South China Sea.

11 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

I intend to go back to Luzon in a few years, wife and I have a couple lots on a hillside in a gated community overlooking the South China Sea.

China are investing heavily in the Financial sector of the PH and they control the Gvnmt - not sure what that will mean in the long run

Sam:

After much deliberation.  Living in Indiana and, next year, my wife and I are moving to Tennessee (Norris lake).  Strictly financial TN is one of the 10 top retirees "most tax friendly states".  Kiplingers -> state by state guide to taxes.  Some states are not very friendly to seniors others are.  There is also a series of books called "Places rated".  Rating cities on everything from crime, states fiscal rating, poverty, hospital availability, and all sort of taxes, proximity to airports, cost of living, school systems, etc.  It is not black and white, as I once thought, as to where to retire to.  Takes some investigating.  Glad to sell my snow blower though.  Happy hunting.