Newbie question kpt-942 with KL-650s for surround?

Benny33

Hi all,

I am purchasing (2)  kpt 942s with the quad 15” in the bins. 

my question is what would be the most ideal speaker setup for my home cinema?

my plan is to use:

Front L & R: kpt-942
Center: buy a matching kpt-942??

Rear L & R: Kl-650-THX (I currently own)

Side L & R: Ks-525-THX (I currently own)

Subwoofers:????

(4) ceiling ATMOS speakers THX 5002 S or L??

The gentleman I’m purchasing the KPT-942s from says the 402s have the new 691 drivers. I believe he said these don’t need to be bi amped as these  have a custom capacitor setup? 

I was hoping to have the whole system THX but I obviously know that there’s a lot of good equipment that doesn’t hold the THX CERT.

Can some of you Klipsch Veterans tell me if I’m on the right path and give me a rundown on what you like or dislike about the setup I’m starting to gather.

All comments are much appreciated.

2908C467-57EC-4592-B2CA-91654DEA968B.jpeg

28A0B3E4-9657-4BEE-B7A4-E3E2F9E74FDE.jpeg

B0F9F8BD-00DD-421A-B0C6-A93940F3BC26.jpeg

943BDD37-A824-4089-B620-B287E5CC70C8.jpeg

583CB859-F61F-4B46-B88C-33F598082BB6.jpeg

• Like 2

Also, I currently own (2) ARAGON THX 3005 amps which are 300watt X 5 channels and a onkyo THX PR-sc885 which doesn’t incorporate the atmos. 

Are these amateur components for klipsch pro speakers?

Any recommendations?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Benny33 said:

Also, I currently own (2) ARAGON THX 3005 amps which are 300watt X 5 channels and a onkyo THX PR-sc885 which doesn’t incorporate the atmos. 

Are these amateur components for klipsch pro speakers?

Any recommendations?

Beautiful setup -------amazing Cinema speakers , if not the best they make ,  with 4 fifteen's ----300 watts per channel for the KPT 942 is not enough ,you need at least 1000 watts per channel for the LF

I know when I had a set of kpt-904’s and kpt-100. They all come out of the same movie Theater and also the kpt-484 subs
They were a match set for the theater
So I’d take a guess that any of the smaller kpt line would work very well with them. As would the speakers you’ve shown in the photos
I’m just speaking from my own personal experience with the kpt line. And I’ve had a few of them way before everyone else was looking for them so I got a get great on them
And this was 13 years ago
Good luck and enjoy them
But I also feel that any of the Klipsch speaker with the Titanium horn drivers may match up pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I know when I had a set of kpt-904’s and kpt-100. They all come out of the same movie Theater and also the kpt-484 subs
They were a match set for the theater
So I’d take a guess that any of the smaller kpt line would work very well with them. As would the speakers you’ve shown in the photos
I’m just speaking from my own personal experience with the kpt line. And I’ve had a few of them way before everyone else was looking for them so I got a get great on them
And this was 13 years ago
Good luck and enjoy them
But I also feel that any of the Klipsch speaker with the Titanium horn drivers may match up pretty well.

what kind of amps were there on these systems

Those little Marantz mono blade ma799 and ma 500. And also crown pro amps on the subs. All the other have such great sensitivity that you do t really need tons of power. I beat the I never used more the 30 watts when watching movies. And I like it loud as i have very very poor hearing
So you don’t need to speak tons of high power amps. That’s one of the biggest reasons people love Klipsch

On 7/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, Benny33 said:

my plan is to use:

Center: buy a matching kpt-942??

Rear L & R: Kl-650-THX (I currently own)

Side L & R: Ks-525-THX (I currently own)

If you have room for a matching center speaker, that would be ideal, but a smaller one from the KPT series would also be good. The surround and rear channel speakers that you already own should be fine for a home theater..

On 7/3/2020 at 5:55 PM, Benny33 said:

Hi all,

I am purchasing (2)  kpt 942s with the quad 15” in the bins. 

my question is what would be the most ideal speaker setup for my home cinema?

my plan is to use:

kinda funny , the brochure states that the kpt 942 is for a  400   seat theater -

On 7/3/2020 at 5:55 PM, Benny33 said:

The gentleman I’m purchasing the KPT-942s from says the 402s have the new 691 drivers. I believe he said these don’t need to be bi amped as these  have a custom capacitor setup?

Not answering your question, but ... I have the KPT-904's with the 510 horns (same driver).  My xover (in the 904's) is setup for the horns, so no problem and no need for bi-amping. But ... the 904/942's came in many different varieties ... check out the xover first. You can always bi-amp and/or DSP later. (Your horns need very little power, but the bass bins love big watts.)  

Used to drive them with a 52 wpc Marantz 2252B and the sound was great ... upgraded to a Crown K1 (400?? wpc) and it was a major improvement! I do have a 15" subwoofer, but hardly ever use it. And, think your garage setup (door!) would introduce more sound problems than improvements with a sub.

Love your system. Good luck!

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 12:42 AM, RandyH 000 said:

Beautiful setup -------amazing Cinema speakers , if not the best they make ,  with 4 fifteen's ----300 watts per channel for the KPT 942 is not enough ,you need at least 1000 watts per channel for the LF

Running two of these in the shop right now off some bi-amped Crown XLI's. At 200 watts per channel output  I will tell you I have only ever used 100 watts MAX and put hearing protection on for that. I had some people over last Thursday and they wanted to hear them louder than I prefer. db level was right at 100 for this wattage with peaks higher. Great clean bass and better than any other direct radiator speakers I have heard in their hz range.

Those 942's are so far ahead of the other speakers you mention you will really have to dial them down to match. Aiming those 402's is critical so make sure you tilt them a bit forward until they open up and aim them to a focal point somewhere behind you. Play with them and you will know when good things start to happen.

I have no idea what a capacitor set up is so you would have to be more descriptive.  I know lots of people want some sort of surround sound theater room. With those 942's you have such an epic two channel system you might decide you won't need to do anything more than two channel. You have also bypassed a ton of other stuff that will never even come close to what those big pro speakers will do and you are wise or fortunate or both as these do not come up often.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 4:15 AM, Coytee said:

Those are going to pound the fillings in your teeth into powder!

I'm envious. (but have no teeth so would be fine for me!)

These things are really good and like your Jubes sound superb at any db level. I hook these up for visitors to hear and leave them up for a while before going back to my S-MWM's. I could be quite happy with a set of these for a lifetime if space was a problem. Of course I am not normal and my KPT-456 buyer looked around the shop and laughed and said I guess these 456's are your small speakers and I had to agree.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Running two of these in the shop right now off some bi-amped Crown XLI's. At 200 watts per channel output  I will tell you I have only ever used 100 watts MAX and put hearing protection on for that. I had some people over last Thursday and they wanted to hear them louder than I prefer. db level was right at 100 for this wattage with peaks higher. Great clean bass and better than any other direct radiator speakers I have heard in their hz range.

great to know  that they only need little power  , I was looking at the specs in the brochure ---

6 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

great to know  that they only need little power  , I was looking at the specs in the brochure ---

That's the problem with quoting spec sheets. It might give you info on wide open for 400 seat theaters but no idea what they would behave like in a ten seat theater. Best to mention things you have experience with.

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

That's the problem with quoting spec sheets. It might give you info on wide open for 400 seat theaters but no idea what they would behave like in a ten seat theater. Best to mention things you have experience with.

no problem  -------a 10x stronger amp does not equate to 10x the  pressure level  or is it 10x  louder - a 1000  watts amp  versus a 100 watts amp is only  10db louder  -

a 1000 watts amp creates practically no distortion at 100 watts whereas a 100 watts amp is in the RED   ,  a 200 watts amp will only  be able to handle 3db more than a 100 watts amp before distorting  fully -