You guys are not going to like this!

mr clean

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

It was several year ago - a match made in heaven(hell) Daimler Chrysler .

yes , the redesign of the 300 -Challenger with an E-Class chassis , and even the Viper Engine re-design -

12 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

yes , the redesign of the 300 -Challenger with an E-Class chassis , and even the Viper Engine re-design -

My stepson, a Ford man at heart, has a 2006 MB AMG CLS. Always rags on me about my like for Dodge. When his car is handy I just open the door, point at the manufacturer label and ask - “how’s that Chrysler doin’ for you” —. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, richieb said:

My stepson, a Ford man at heart, has a 2006 MB AMG CLS. Always rags on me about my like for Dodge. When his car is handy I just open the door, point at the manufacturer label and ask - “how’s that Chrysler doin’ for you” —. 

their entire AMG lineup sounds like an American Pony Car right down to the V8 sound  , once MB bought Chrysler , they learned everything from Van  Sprinters using a regular truck  differential  to high end sports cars like the Viper Racing , to the 4x4 ML series  that copied the Jeep Grand Cherokee---    they offloaded Chrysler and stripped it , then took off with new great marketing ideas , borrowed from the USA -

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

Great point 

I dug the car stereo thing when I was young . But man you have to be aware when driving . 

Come on guys! We are getting older. But I think we can still listen to a little music! When I was younger I would drive while drinking a quart, rolling a joint, and trying to load a cassette in the player. At 57 can I at least listen to some music at a reasonable level?😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr clean said:

Come on guys! We are getting older. But I think we can still listen to a little music! When I was younger I would drive while drinking a quart, rolling a joint, and trying to load a cassette in the player. At 57 can I at least listen to some music at a reasonable level?😎

Only if it's Maris Osmond.....

Actually, you're allowed to crank her to the limits

• Haha 1

Oh, and uh...  my Camry is hitting right at 277K on the odometer last time I looked.  (2005).  Wife keeps telling me to get a new car I ask why?  Runs like a top, efficient....  yeah, the paint is getting dull but since I go buy seven (5-gallon) jugs of diesel, I currently as of typing this right now, have the steering knuckle for my backhoe in the trunk (hides the dead bodies) it's my little quasi truck.  I'm ok with this in this car and would not want to do this in a new car.  So I'll wait until it dies.  Re-evaluate what is killing it and either buy a car then......or fix it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mr clean said:

6 hours ago, mr clean said:

If you get 300k out of that dodge I will buy you a ice cream cone😎! Does it have the heated tailgate?

Getting older, at 57. You’re just a kid young man, watch your manners. And at 10 years your senior I ain’t ready for a a four wheel couch, not yet anyway.

300K miles 🤣 ? I’m lucky to have a car for 30K. The 270 is on the next in line —

No, my tail- gate is heated and cooled. You know, being a geriatric and all -

• Haha 1

I test drove a relatively new 330i when we brought the 2003 325i in for the airbag recall.  It was almost like being propelled by a time machine to a different planet.  Keyless everything, just this oblong fob that let you lock and unlock the thing.  Then you pushed a button (with foot on brake) to start, and the transmission was familiar enough to our touring, except there were also paddle shifters on the steering wheel.  When you passed a speed limit sign, the camera? would detect it and post the sign on the instrument panel, which was kind of creepy.  The instrument panel was a digital representation of analog gauges, which I would guess is easy enough to get used to.  It also had that "standby" engine cut-out mode if you stopped at a traffic light for too long.  Keep in mind all this was without any instruction, being a loaner, and no manual in the glove box.  Otherwise, it drove and handled like you would expect, precise and responsive.

So my question is (except for the classic bmw handling and smoothness) are all new cars like this?  Is the toyota like that?  Our newest car at the moment is a 2003, back when cars were still just cars.  The dodge I test drove several years ago was normal enough too, except of course it had slushy handling and a cheapish interior.  Today it seems like you need a mechanic and a software engineer if something goes wrong.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I test drove a relatively new 330i when we brought the 2003 325i in for the airbag recall.  It was almost like being propelled by a time machine to a different planet.  Keyless everything, just this oblong fob that let you lock and unlock the thing.  Then you pushed a button (with foot on brake) to start, and the transmission was familiar enough to our touring, except there were also paddle shifters on the steering wheel.  When you passed a speed limit sign, the camera? would detect it and post the sign on the instrument panel, which was kind of creepy.  The instrument panel was a digital representation of analog gauges, which I would guess is easy enough to get used to.  It also had that "standby" engine cut-out mode if you stopped at a traffic light for too long.  Keep in mind all this was without any instruction, being a loaner, and no manual in the glove box.  Otherwise, it drove and handled like you would expect, precise and responsive.

So my question is (except for the classic bmw handling and smoothness) are all new cars like this?  Is the toyota like that?  Our newest car at the moment is a 2003, back when cars were still just cars.  The dodge I test drove several years ago was normal enough too, except of course it had slushy handling and a cheapish interior.  Today it seems like you need a mechanic and a software engineer if something goes wrong.  

Yes mine has all the things you mentioned, except for turning off when stopped. The hybrid model may. I like the push bottom start and if you leave the fob in the car it won’t let you lock it inside. It also has blind spot sensors and it will stop you before you hit a car. It also will only let you get so near to the car in front of you, and lets you know if your running off the road. You can turn these options off if you want. You just have to touch the door handle to lock or unlock it also. The sales  man told me some models are only coming out with hybrids, and that by the time I want another car they may all be. I like gas power.   I know I’m distroying the 🌎. The stereo sounds so fine! It has clari-fi from hardon on the JBL. Haven’t tried it with digital music yet as I had to come to work,  but it is supposed to reverse the effects of compression had on the sound of music. From what I have been reading it works well!  

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

So my question is (except for the classic bmw handling and smoothness) are all new cars like this?   yes -  if they are rear wheel drive

Is the toyota like that?     yes -pretty close , in an all wheel drive ----

Toyota cars are mostly Front wheel drive , and they are extremely  reliable  , the All wheel drive ,adds an assist from the rear wheels , but it remains a primarily front wheel drive car  -

the BMW is either a rear wheel drive or an all wheel drive -------and it remains primarily  a rear wheel drive car ,  so if you live in a mountainous area , rear wheel drive is the better car for handling , you would burn your brakes on a front wheel car 2 to 1  ---

58 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I feel like Stranger in a Strange Land.  

I'd share water with you but....just coming in from outside, I'm afraid I drank it all.

Preparing for outdoor movie, cooking out.  Been setting up all day.  Pictures to follow (sooner or later, probably in a day)

Maybe by then, I'll have some water saved up to share.  If a Coke is similar, I've got your back there.

• Like 2