I am floored....

Guys, I don't post much anymore but I keep on reading from time to time. It seems people have lately been toying with various ribbon based tweters, tweeter upgrades etc.

Well, I have done something similar using a Beyma ribbon tweeter - but then I was in the Netherlands yesterdy. But let's start a bit earlier. This pring (prior to Corona) I had come across an advert of one of those big Altec theatre systems. I became curious and contacted the gentleman owner - we arranged a visit, but -alas- Corona interfered.

Anyway, yesterday the visit took place - I don't want to bore you with details - but what had caused my interest was listening to a two-way horn system (ok - plus sub) that did not utilize any tweeter. I imagined that I would find such a sound dull, lifeless etc - BUT far from it. It was the most balanced horn setup I have ever encountered.

So why this narration? Well, I happen to have a similar large Altec driver (a 291 in my case) on a MR594 as mid section (and the aforementioned Beyma on top) - so what's easier than disconnecting the tweeter and letting the Altec do its thing (network: a DIY Type A).

And although the room in which I have my horn rig is (too) small - it's by far the best I have ever heard from my horns. It's so chorent, no harshness, a spacial presentation that is breathtaking (and very close to live).

Call me stupid, but I guess for me that is the way I will continue using my horns - (and yes, I am in my late 50s and yes, I don't hear above 13Khz) - but this realism - I am floored indeed. So in case your driver/horn combo allows something similar - at least give it a try. I hope you don't mind me sharing.

Cheers, Wolfram

• Like 2

Having lived a bit longer with the tweeter-less horn I am even more convinced that the performance is closer to "real" life than ever before. It' s like a wall of sound with great front-depth perspective. You really feel like getting up and walk between the musicians.

Today I reworked my crossover (removed the tweeter caps) AND - most importantly - installed a pair of Miflex capacitors (from Poland). They do have some super expensive copper-polypropylene-paper caps (a 10uF cap sells for about $ 280.00 - which I cannot -afford) but combine their cheap polypropylene (12uF for $7.50) with a small (0.33uF) copper-poly-paper bypass and you are getting a very open, clean but never sterile sound (kind of perfect to my ears). Massed strings for example are really close to what you are hearing at a live concert. So I am a happy camper indeed and the Beyma ribbons will be up for sale soon.

Cheers, Wolfram

• Like 1