Cornwall ll woofer substitutions

what's wrong with the woofers  , you do understand that these woofers are very tough ----------and can last a lifetime , but the tendency nowadays , more and more is to add Subs to compensate for digital recordings , and to get  that extra octave  in the sound -

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2020 at 8:16 PM, RandyH000 said:

yes ,  The kappa 15C gives more mid-bass  than a k34 -

, the 3015LF4  , gives  more bass than a K34 -  and even more bass than a kappa 15C -

Yes, the 3015lf 4 is better in every way than my old k33 square magnet. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, Could sound better said:

Since these are a lot newer than the old k34’s in my CW ll’s can I expect an improvement?

Probably not, unless yours are damaged.  The cabinet and woofer were designed to work as a system.  Changing the woofer will change the response curve.  Will it be better?  Only a lab test can tell.  Will you need to mod the crossover, maybe, test to see.  It's not like changing video cards. 

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the Crites offerings.

I have tried the Crites CW1526C (cast frame), Kappa 15C and most recently K-48 woofers in the same Cornwall boxes, in the exact same location, with the exact same equipment and my favourite tracks from the exact same CDs.

The Crites woofers go significantly lower than a K-33(same T/S specs as K-34) as well as bringing up the midbass.

The Kappa 15C tightens up the bass and doesn’t seem to lose any low end compared to the K-33. The midbass completely outshines the K-33.

The K-48 seems to have the best definition of them all, whether it belongs in a Cornwall sized box or not... it is tight and punches hard. Love the K-48.

If I had to pick only one though, in this application, it would be the Crites woofer.

It best compliments the Cornwall’s inherent quality of sounding really full at lower volumes while still being able to rock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1