Unable to get sound through optical connection Bar 48

shric

I just received a new Bar 48 and I need to use the optical connection, not having an HDMI ARC port on my tv. I cannot get any sound out of the bar through this connection. I paired it to my iPhone and I can play music just fine. I have attempted a firmware update but it will not work the way the instructions indicate. Any help would be appreciated. I have opened a ticket with support, FYI. Have not heard anything back yet. Very disappointed in the response from customer service. I use the optical connection out of my Panasonic plasma to my surround system and it works fine.  I have also tried the HDMI out of my Directv receiver and got nothing there as well. Bad ports maybe?

4 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Go in to the "Sound" setting on your TV and if it's on Dolby Digital try to change it to "2 channel" or "PCM". That may help

Thanks for the response. There is no settings on the TV for the optical output, just HDMI inputs. I tried changing the inputs to all possible settings but no luck. 

• Like 1

@shric

Klipsch Customer service is slow in responding to new service requests.

1. Register your product online.
  2. Open a service request online.
  3. Once you do so you will have the service request number, you can then phone in and talk to someone about it.

You really need to update your firmware. Pay attention to the USB thumb drive size and how it is formatted. This video may help.

The BAR 48 requires an HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) An HDMI connection that doesn't provide an ARC won't work.

For your digital connection:

• Connect the cable to the TV first.
  • Make sure you see a light at the other end of the cable.
  • Ensure the optical cable is firmly seated in the BAR 48.
  • Ensure you have selected the digital source on the BAR 48.

When I first got my BAR 48 I connected it to my Panasonic TH-50PZ800 TV via HDMI and got no sound at all and never did get it working. I didn't try a digital connection. I had been using a cheap Sony surround sound system for ten years without any issues (other than the sound quality). 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KevinB said:

@shric

Klipsch Customer service is slow in responding to new service requests.

1. Register your product online.
  2. Open a service request online.
  3. Once you do so you will have the service request number, you can then phone in and talk to someone about it.

You really need to update your firmware. Pay attention to the USB thumb drive size and how it is formatted. This video may help.

The BAR 48 requires an HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) An HDMI connection that doesn't provide an ARC won't work.

For your digital connection:

• Connect the cable to the TV first.
  • Make sure you see a light at the other end of the cable.
  • Ensure the optical cable is firmly seated in the BAR 48.
  • Ensure you have selected the digital source on the BAR 48.

When I first got my BAR 48 I connected it to my Panasonic TH-50PZ800 TV via HDMI and got no sound at all and never did get it working. I didn't try a digital connection. I had been using a cheap Sony surround sound system for ten years without any issues (other than the sound quality). 

Thnak you so much for the response. I actually have done everything you mention here except verifying the format on the thumb drive, which I will. I tried the Klipsch method on the update. I also tried the method in the video you shared. I opened the service request last week. I called yesterday and held on for product support. It took quite awhile to get picked up from on hold. Once I got someone on the line, I accidentally hung up on them while walking toward the living room! Ugh. I will try again today. While on hold, I took a shower and shaved. lol.  

4 hours ago, shric said:

I called yesterday and held on for product support. It took quite awhile to get picked up from on hold. 

@shric

Yes, that's been my experience too but it's better than waiting weeks for an email response. Remember that many of the Klipsch staff are working from home.

If you have searched the community for "BAR 48" you will see the many issues we are facing. All we can do is be persistent...

If you learn anything interesting when speaking with Tech Support, please share with the rest of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinB said:

@shric

Yes, that's been my experience too but it's better than waiting weeks for an email response. Remember that many if the Klipsch staff are working from home.

If you have searched the community for "BAR 48" you will see the many issues we are facing. All we can do is be persistent...

If you learn anything interesting when speaking with Tech Support, please share with the rest of us.

You were right! Had the wrong forrnat. Reformatted and the update worked. Update worked but still no sound. On hold now! 

Update: I stayed on hold for 1 hour and 1 minute. An announcement said : "No product support agents are available to take your call now. Please call back later." Then the line went dead.

I understand that many are working from home but this type of support is tailor made for remote support. Basically all you need is a phone line, computer and broadband. I ran a customer support department for a software publisher. This makes no sense. Is it always this way? I think I'm just going to have to return it to where I purchased it. I'm going to try one more time.

Edited by shric
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, shric said:

Update: I stayed on hold for 1 hour and 1 minute. An announcement said : "No product support agents are available to take your call now. Please call back later." Then the line went dead.

I understand that many are working from home but this type of support is tailor made for remote support. Basically all you need is a phone line, computer and broadband. I ran a customer support department for a software publisher. This makes no sense. Is it always this way? I think I'm just going to have to return it to where I purchased it. I'm going to try one more time.

@shric

The kindest thing I can say is that Klipsch technical support leaves much to be desired. 😒

You said

On 7/6/2020 at 6:48 AM, shric said:

I use the optical connection out of my Panasonic plasma to my surround system and it works fine.

That would suggest there are no issues with TV's optical output or the optical cable. The only other possibility is the optical connection at the soundbar.

1. Either the cable is not properly seated, or
  2. The optical input is defective.

If Tech Support is unable to resolve the issue for you, they will tell you to return it to the retailer from whom it was purchased.

Since I purchased mine seven months ago, not one of the dozen issues I reported has been resolved. I can no longer return mine so the best I can hope for is a warranty replacement.

If I had to do this all over again, I would definitely look at a different brand!

52 minutes ago, KevinB said:

@shric

The kindest thing I can say is that Klipsch technical support leaves much to be desired. 😒

You said

That would suggest there are no issues with TV's optical output or the optical cable. The only other possibility is the optical connection at the soundbar.

If Tech Support is unable to resolve the issue for you, they will tell you to return it to the retailer from whom it was purchased.

Since I purchased mine seven months ago, not one of the dozen issues I reported has been resolved. I can no longer return mine so the best I can hope for is a warranty replacement.

If I had to do this all over again, I would definitely look at a different brand!

Wow. I had  no idea. I did quite a bit of research due to the lockdown. I never saw anything particularly negative about Klipsch support. They are a disaster. I can't understand why such a famous brand has such poor support.

I purchased it through Amazon so I contacted them a bit ago. The frontline CS rep passed me to a more technical person who asked some good questions, all of which I have tried. She asked me if I would mind if she called Klipsch and have someone from there conference with her and me. I said not at all but good luck getting through. She had a different number to call other thanh the published CS number. I told her I had been on hold for hours and didn't get through. She said : "Let me call them and wait on hold so you don't have to. Then When I have them I will call you." Wow. That was about 45 mins ago so we shall see what happens. Thanks to all for your help and advice. I think this unit is going back and I don't think I'll be buying another Klipsch product again. Very sad.

As I said I called Amazon and didn't hear back for two hours then got a callback. The amazon CSR had been holding on for Klipsch for two hours. She had a Klipsch CSR on the line and I spoke with him. Nice, knowledgeable guy but by then I wasn't at home any more. He said he would call my the next morning at 9. He called at exactly 9AM. we went through some things and he actually got my TV model number and looked up the Owners manual online to verify the the optical settings were compatible and the setting were fixed. So, the port appears to be bad he offered warranty service but I said I would just return it to Amazon. I can't imagine ever having to deal with Klipsch CS again. This is a real shame, it must be lack of commitment from management. I really like the quality of the build and the configuration of the product but no way will I ever buy Klipsch again. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, shric said:

I really like the quality of the build and the configuration of the product but no way will I ever buy Klipsch again. Thanks again for all your help.

next time , return the product -------

On 7/7/2020 at 2:05 PM, KevinB said:

@shric

You said

ask for a warranty replacement -----

59 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

ask for a warranty replacement -----

@RandyH 000

That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing.

Tech Support emailed me this morning and told me they were unable to reproduce any of my issues and that other customers reporting the same issues had their's resolved when they installed the latest firmware update. Their conclusion: my unit must have some other hardware defect.

We shall see...

• Like 1

Just now, KevinB said:

@RandyH 000

That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing.

Tech Support emailed me this morning and told me they were unable to reproduce any of my issues and that other customers reporting the same issues had their's resolved when they installed the latest firmware update. Their conclusion: my unit must have some other hardware defect.

We shall see...

the firmware update is not without a risk as well , but swapping out the unit is best at this point  in an endless journey and  your patience is  exemplary -

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...