Klipschorn 1995 France

1594049593-img-20200623-152748.jpg1594049736-img-20200310-171454.jpg1594049288-img-20200706-172403.jpg1594049350-img-20200706-172432.jpg1594049417-img-20200706-172600.jpgGood morning, guys. First of all, my heart goes out to you, and take care of yourself in front of the Covid.

I just bought a pair of 1995 Horn in walnut, modified with Eliptrac BC DCM 50-8 horn midrange, TWEETER BC DCM 10-8 C, ES 400 AND ES 5800 ALK filter.

That I'm going to l ook for 500 km near the Swiss border, I live in Cassis near MARSEILLE in France. 

They will replace the 1978 Belles in super condition, low reflex tweaked by the top part, with ALK filters, and kappa 15 C woofer, and BC De120 tweeter replacing the 77, Belles that work perfectly with Jadis blocks, Lightspeed attenuator preamplifier, Dac LaVoce S3, Ambre streamer.

My problem can be seen on the picture, I don't have right angles but rounded. 

But I'm not discouraged for if I can, I decided to close the klipschorn.

Is it important that the plywood is placed on the outside of the bass box, to be like a wall or on the inside so I lose the thickness of the plywood thanks for your support.

Rodolphe 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 2

I don't want to make a false corner, the new horns will be instead of the beautiful ones in the rounded corners, my other concern is the little distance between the 2 speakers which is 8.2 feet from the middle to the middle of the speaker, I have a ceiling height of 8.8 feet and the room is 20.20 feet by 16.40 feet.

Hello Rodolphe, hope you are well.  I think your new Khorns will be fine in your room, and that they should be closed on the outside of the bass bin.  Someone here can hopefully link you to a method that one of our members used very successfully with minimal attachment points.  Good luck with your project.

Hi, thanks Jimjimbo I'm going to put the plywood outside, so screwed on the edge of the high board of the bass drum and screwed on the back part, do we have to put spacers between the bass drum and the new boards? 
Rodolphe

Hi Rodolphe,

that looks like a very nice room. Actually I also contemplate to move my Khorns from the basemnt into the living room. But I have only one proper corner so any pics that show how you solve that problem will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Wolfram

Salut @Rodolpk6

Beau projet que ces nouvelles KHorn. Tes anciennes BelleKlipsch étaient superbes et tes modifications géniales !

Pour ton nouveau projet, pourquoi tu n'écoutes pas déjà les Khorn comme ça sans les fermer, peut-être que les coins arrondis vont convenir. Ensuite pour les fermer je suis certains que les gars ici te conseilleront au mieux. Ils sont très sympas et aiment aider les possesseurs de Klipsch. Je vais suivre ton sujet avec intérêt 👍

Nice project that this new KHorn. Your old BelleKlipsch were superb and your modifications were great!

For your new project, why don't you already listen to the Khorns like that without closing them, maybe the rounded corners will be fine. Then to close them, I'm sure the guys here will advise you the best. They are very friendly and like to help owners of Klipsch. I will follow your topic with interest 👍

Salut dubai

I wouldn't miss it, I would do a photo report, I only get the horns back in August.
But I'm waiting to get more information from the forum pros, who would have made these transformations... 

9 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Salut @Rodolpk6

Beau projet que ces nouvelles KHorn. Tes anciennes BelleKlipsch étaient superbes et tes modifications géniales !

Pour ton nouveau projet, pourquoi tu n'écoutes pas déjà les Khorn comme ça sans les fermer, peut-être que les coins arrondis vont convenir. Ensuite pour les fermer je suis certains que les gars ici te conseilleront au mieux. Ils sont très sympas et aiment aider les possesseurs de Klipsch. Je vais suivre ton sujet avec intérêt 👍

Nice project that this new KHorn. Your old BelleKlipsch were superb and your modifications were great!

For your new project, why don't you already listen to the Khorns like that without closing them, maybe the rounded corners will be fine. Then to close them, I'm sure the guys here will advise you the best. They are very friendly and like to help owners of Klipsch. I will follow your topic with interest 👍

Hey, neighbor,
Of course I'm going to listen like this, but I tinker easily, it's my job, I'll probably close...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rodolpk6 said:

Bonjour , effectivement les KHORN sont beaucoup plus belles si on ferme les coins avec du bois et si ensuite cela est peint en noir , ce qui est le plus important est que ce soit fait avec une finesse et une precision pour que le tout soit du look homogene - et non un look fait maison -  il faut  donc un soin  et une delicatesse et avec cela en tete , ce sera superbe  et meme de loin avec un meilleur son  des basses  -Au Revoir --

12 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

If you have Eliptrac on your new KHorn, then this modification of Volti-Audio should please you

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml

😄

Yes, I've studied it, but as he puts the planks outside up to the top, he has to veneer the upper part with walnut.
I'm just thinking of closing the lower part and putting the boards outside, painted black.
Unless you have to close all the way to the top for a better acoustic result, but I doubt it....
I could always close the top part, there will be inside in an aesthetic sense

WOW - very cool but unless you have the skill, work place etc......so sadly definitely not for me - plus I wonder, do these enclose Khorns really perform like the traditional open ones (I guess this has been covered somewhere but....)?

Cheers, Wolfram

50 minutes ago, Rodolpk6 said:

Yes, I've studied it, but as he puts the planks outside up to the top, he has to veneer the upper part with walnut.
I'm just thinking of closing the lower part and putting the boards outside, painted black.
Unless you have to close all the way to the top for a better acoustic result, but I doubt it....
I could always close the top part, there will be inside in an aesthetic sense

do not even attempt  such a project if you do not have the correct skills or tools , as it will not look good , plus there are screws and holes that have to be drilled very precisely

23 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

do not even attempt  such a project if you do not have the correct skills or tools , as it will not look good , plus there are screws and holes that have to be drilled very precisely

Thank you for your advice, I have the skills and especially a friend cabinetmaker😁, but I will not opt for this solution because I do not want to enlarge the top plate and the intermediate one, impossible to find the veneer idem.là in his case the veneers were to be changed http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml
I want to be able to easily put the speaker back in its original juice.
So I'm going to put two vertical plates on the outside (as if it was the walls) on the bass boxes and treat the upper edges with a walnut rod and put 2 spacers between the box and the board.
I won't put the spacer on the floor, because I want the floor to make the sound like the unclosed crate.
Rodolphe