Dressing up La Scala Industrials for home use

Head Lobster

I just inherited a pair of La Scala Industrials that are in pristine condition sonic-wise and electronics-wise; however, my wife isn't too happy about the rough black finish and big white Klipsch decals sticking out in our large living room. Any ideas on how I can dress them up?  Her idea is to but a wood veneer on them - not a bad idea but I'm worried that would alter the sound. Same with building an enclosure for them. Any ideas out there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Head Lobster said:

I just inherited a pair of La Scala Industrials that are in pristine condition sonic-wise and electronics-wise; however, my wife isn't too happy about the rough black finish and big white Klipsch decals sticking out in our large living room. Any ideas on how I can dress them up?  Her idea is to but a wood veneer on them - not a bad idea but I'm worried that would alter the sound. Same with building an enclosure for them. Any ideas out there?

there are  5 sorts  of LS I , I am not sure which one you own ---

1)  aluminium trim  split cabs -painted black    2)  aluminium trim split cabs with   fiberglass coating ,    3)   aluminium trim non- split cabs with   fiberglass coating ,   4)   plain  2 pieces cabs painted black   , 5)  plain  1 piece cabs  painted black - 

-

pictures would help  - TX -

Tell the wife to redecorate the room instead of trying to modify the speakers. Go for that "steampunk", "goth" or heavy metal look.

She can start by painting the walls and ceiling black.

Tell us how that idea goes over with the wife. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sell them to someone that can appreciate (or use) them as designed.....  then, buy yourself a nice spanking new pair of LaScala II's and get a finish she would be proud of.

Unfortunately, though there are differences, you are then paying cash to simply change aesthetics as the sound will be similar (the II's would likely sound a bit better though)

Can't you just banish yourself to the basement or garage??!!

• Like 2

I've had a few of these industrial things with spray painted bed liner paint.

I typically have been able to peel that off - do not use heat cos that causes them to soften and dig into the grain.

Then sand the wood - still have a few flecks of the bed liner but it may just add to the wood "character" then stain it etc like you do normal wood.

Welcome to the forum.  Agree that photos would be appreciated, and your location.  And also agree that perhaps you can sell them and then purchase a pair of vintage La Scalas with updated components.  Vintage (nice) pair can be had between $1200-$2000, LS II will run you $3500 and up, and AL5 much beyond that.

15 hours ago, Head Lobster said:

I just inherited

Obviously we don't know your details, but condolences for the loss of someone that was evidently close to you.

Now, if it were me personally....(I'm a sentimental old fool type)  since they were inherited, keeping them as is would mean more to me than changing them to please the Mrs.

Sort of like if @jimjimbo bequeathed me his speakers and they were painted in bold Michigan colors.....  I'd be tempted to refinish them into Ohio State colors but....  would have to respect his memory.....  so I'd probably paint them pink.

:emotion-14:

• Haha 3

These are desirable the way they are (reserving final decision until photos are posted) to someone, just not your wife.

You would be creating a lot of work for yourself to "change" these. You would be better off selling these and buying another pair (non industrial) to refinish and make look good. It may be a little bit of a hassle finding another pair but would be worth it. The restoration would be easier and probably turn out better.

There's my two cents and worth both pennies. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Tell the wife to redecorate the room instead of trying to modify the speakers. Go for that "steampunk", "goth" or heavy metal look.

She can start by painting the walls and ceiling black.

Tell us how that idea goes over with the wife. 😀

Exactly, a theme room. Meanwhile tell the wife black is in again.

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Sort of like if @jimjimbo bequeathed me his speakers and they were painted in bold Michigan colors.....  I'd be tempted to refinish them into Ohio State colors but....  would have to respect his memory.....  so I'd probably paint them pink.

There would be a large bonfire before that ever happened......

Just now, jimjimbo said:

There would be a large bonfire before that ever happened......

What If I promised to never do anything to their appearance because I hear with my ears, not my eyes, and I am not a fan of any specific sport or team ...

Though Indian Cricket team wears blue ... No wont touch em, I promise. Then can I have them ...

I wont be putting em in a bond fire either. Cos I dont like James Bond all that much nowadays - golden eye was the best. Brosnan was the best bod, oddly followed by Dalton and living daylights. The BMW R1200C was a great bike, but If Tommmorow comes was a terrible bond film, and it went better on the next one with the aston Martin Vanish ... but ever since sliding downhill.

Daniel Craig was better in Munich than in any of the Bond movies.

32 minutes ago, Srinath said:

What If I promised to never do anything to their appearance because I hear with my ears, not my eyes, and I am not a fan of any specific sport or team ...

Though Indian Cricket team wears blue ... No wont touch em, I promise. Then can I have them ...

I wont be putting em in a bond fire either. Cos I dont like James Bond all that much nowadays - golden eye was the best. Brosnan was the best bod, oddly followed by Dalton and living daylights. The BMW R1200C was a great bike, but If Tommmorow comes was a terrible bond film, and it went better on the next one with the aston Martin Vanish ... but ever since sliding downhill.

Daniel Craig was better in Munich than in any of the Bond movies.

You must have missed the 60's 007...

20 hours ago, Head Lobster said:

Veneer sounds as the best choice --------- I will agree with your wife on that 100%  ---refinish them -

51 minutes ago, billybob said:

You must have missed the 60's 007...

I watched them in the 70's and 80's. Yea too tacky now, but was fine back then.

But adjusted for the time it was made, Goldeneye and Living daylights are by far and away #1 and 2, distant 3rd IMHO that one with the aston martin Vanish - Die another day. A lot ate tied for 4th. Like View to a kill. Or World is not enough. Almost makes up for that dismal tommorow never dies.

Some of the older bond movies all slot in neatly between 3 and 4.

But really You're gonna put something else over Goldeneye - watch it, remember it was 1995.

Watch Living daylights then - 1987 - with Miriam D'Abo. Nothing even comes close to these 2 for the tech of the day they were released.

• Like 1