Dressing up La Scala Industrials for home use

Head Lobster

On 7/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, Dave A said:

all JBL commercial speakers are now MDF  , bang them once , you trash the cabs -----

22 hours ago, Dave A said:

One day I was sanding down an LS and when I got to the middle front of the sides the noise from the orbital sander was ridiculous. That's what started me thinking about braces and heavier material.

Dave , Some LSI  have a tougher cab construction  ,

-I have 2 pairs of LSI , -------the AA -  K55V vibrate a lot ,  regular plywood ,  the second pair has a rear panel cover that seals the rear with a Cup  with twin speaker connectors and Fuse holders ,  AL version - K55M   -  no vibration --could be birch , and it feels like a heavier cab

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Dave , Some LSI  have a tougher cab construction  ,

-I have 2 pairs of LSI , -------the AA -  K55V vibrate a lot ,  regular plywood ,  the second pair has a rear panel cover that seals the rear with a Cup  with twin speaker connectors and Fuse holders ,  AL version - K55M   -  no vibration --could be birch , and it feels like a heavier cab

The vibration threshold is rather small I think. I had a set of LSI's once that were really good without work. The plywood for some reason was about .07" thicker than the others and it made an audible difference. Another LSI that was fiberglass coated and had trim strips did not suffer from resonance at all from what I remember. I really don't think the back on the horn section makes a difference in the bass bin area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I really don't think the back on the horn section makes a difference in the bass bin area.

none for sure----check the  plys in the K55M cutaway , it's a denser plywood  than the 70's

s-l1600.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 4:04 PM, Dave A said:

One day I was sanding down an LS and when I got to the middle front of the sides the noise from the orbital sander was ridiculous. That's what started me thinking about braces and heavier material.

The fir plywood of my painted LSI seems to be less dense than the raw birch LS cabinets.

43 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The fir plywood of my painted LSI seems to be less dense than the raw birch LS cabinets.

As far as I can tell Klipsch never used Baltic Birch, at least not in any cabinet I have ever seen. The did use birch veneer plywood though. Never thought to try to check for density and save scraps of wood to weigh.

8 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

what type of  wood do you see here ,  is that Fur plywood ?  -  these are  late 80s LSI -

s-l1600.jpg