2.1 system downsizing

Hello! 

Today I have a pair of RB-51II, a Yamaha A-S501, a Crown XLS amp for a DIY Sub.

I listen some CDs with a Marantz CD5005, a spotify through a Chromecast Audio and a TV using a optical cable. 

I'm getting bothered with my system size and considering a downsizing. 

The first thing I thought was a smaller amp like a Yamaha Wxa 50 or a NAD 3020D. But then I saw the Klipsch R-51PM with all inputs that I really use: optical for TV, AUX for Chromecast and a RCA for the CD and the sub output that I need. 

What do you guys thinks about that? Will I lost too much about sound quality ? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Caio Ferrari said:

I live in a very small apartment and the Yamaha is too big for my rack. It has a lot of inputs or outputs that I don't use. It a waste of space and equipment. 

I'd like to have a minimalist system that just got my needs 

Well, there is nothing wrong with your choices and if they have what you need then yes.

The Yamaha AS-501 is a desireable amp.

Read reviews on your 2 candidates.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, billybob said:

Well, there is nothing wrong with your choices and if they have what you need then yes.

The Yamaha AS-501 is a desireable amp.

Read reviews on your 2 candidates.

Thanks!

Thank you 

Since I can't listen to R-51PM I'm asking about it sound signature compared to RB-51II. 

I have an NAD D3020.  It takes optical and analog inputs, as well as Bluetooth.  I like it a lot.  It’s small enough to take with me to audition speakers.  So far, it’s driven:

• KG .5, 2.0, & 4.0
  • Heresy I and La Scala
  • Quartet, Forté II, & Chorus I

It’s worked well with each of them.  The more sensitive (efficient) the speaker, generally the better the amp performs.

I would start your search another way.  One constraint is size.  Another is sound pressure level.  How loud do you need your system to get?  A school dance is 101 - 106 dB.  Some larger Klipsch can generate this much sound with one watt of signal.

D3020 and a set of Quartets could be a good start...

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, Caio Ferrari said:

But then I saw the Klipsch R-51PM with all inputs that I really use: optical for TV, AUX for Chromecast and a RCA for the CD and the sub output that I need. 

great choice , buy these , you will really like them -

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, willland said:

I would say use a small form factor amp with plenty of features and keep the RB-51IIs.  Not a big fan of speakers with built-in amps due to reliability issues.

Bill

That's an issue. I'm aware that these powered speakers has some issues. The problem is that since I'm not in USA, I cannot have Klipsch support in case of any problem...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

I have an NAD D3020.  It takes optical and analog inputs, as well as Bluetooth.  I like it a lot.Its small enough to take with me to audition speakers.  So far, it’s driven:

• KG .5, 2.0, & 4.0
  • Heresy I and La Scala
  • Quartet, Forté II, & Chorus I

Worked well with each of them.  The more sensitive (efficient) the speaker, generally the better the amp performs.

I would start your search another way.  One constraint is size.  Another is sound pressure level.  How loud do you need your system to get?  A school dance is 101 - 106 dB.  Some larger Klipsch can generate this much sound with one watt of signal.

D3020 and a set of Quartets could be a good start...

I've heard a 3020D when I was in USA and until today I regret not buying one for me. I got a huge and unnecessary S501 instead. 

I got worried about reliability issues with these newer amps with SMD components and got an old school amp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caio Ferrari said:

That's an issue. I'm aware that these powered speakers has some issues. The problem is that since I'm not in USA, I cannot have Klipsch support in case of any problem...

------------if you have any problems  just make sure to act before the warranty ends --------

• 2 weeks later...