Rustproof paint for underwater exposure

tigerwoodKhorns

32 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I am fixing a washing machine and need some paint to paint some rusty parts that are exposed to water.  I have cleaned the rust and intend to spray with rust treatment. 

I need to cover about 1/2 of a square foot and need something cheap. 

Any recommendations? then

a bit of acid would clear up the rust  from resurfacing , then once the surface is clean ----several coats of primer and rustoleum  , and  you can finish off with a clear coat  for metal  ---to  waterproof the exposed area with water-

My 38 year old washer had rust holes in the outside tub on the bottom and some on the very top. Ground it down and applied a very thick coating of Loctite epoxy on the bottom and the two pipe fittings. Let it set for 24 hours then cranked it up. Working like a champ.

JJK

17 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

My 38 year old washer had rust holes in the outside tub on the bottom and some on the very top. Ground it down and applied a very thick coating of Loctite epoxy on the bottom and the two pipe fittings. Let it set for 24 hours then cranked it up. Working like a champ.

JJK

Good idea.  How is the coverage and can it be spread out thin? 

2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Good idea.  How is the coverage and can it be spread out thin? 

I wouldn't get it too thin but it sticks to steel like you won't believe. If you let it set for 24 hours you have to chisel it off. You also have to have a lot of supply's of tubes. I use this stuff in my artwork so I am very familiar with what it can do. It comes with the separate plastic nozzles at about $3.37 per tube at Walmart. It can be 1 minute drying time or 5 minutes. Amazon also has it listed. Mine was applied to the inside of the tub, not the outside. The outside tub had some kind of tough paint on it. The epoxy was used on parts of the avatar above cementing the face to the hat.

JJK

On 7/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I am fixing a washing machine and need some paint to paint some rusty parts that are exposed to water.  I have cleaned the rust and intend to spray with rust treatment. 

I need to cover about 1/2 of a square foot and need something cheap. 

Any recommendations? 

Rustoleum's Rust Reformer or Reform something like that.....  worked pretty good on an old beat-up old rail buggy. Just break heavy scale rust loose and paint it. The stuff is wicked good.