New phone suggestions?

Coytee

Ok, so it might be that time.

I might get a new cell phone.  I'm on Verizon.  They have Samsung as their (evidently) promotional items on their site.....but they have a couple other brands.

My personal phone is a ......wait for it.......flip phone.  My work phone is (if I recall) an I-phone 6 something or another.

I don't need whiz-bang as evidenced by my flip phone however, I DO see how much they can do for you.

How do various I-phone models compare to various Samsung models??

Help me out of the stone age.

I am not an iPhone fan, only because it would be a lot to switch.  Getting an iPhone would make me feel like I need an Ipad, Apples computers, etc.  I have had great luck with Samsung. Actually starting the same process, but with Sprint.  My S9E or what ever series is 3 years old and the screen is now cracked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My current phone is a Samsung that's been doing great for over 6 years............(until I submerged it last weekend).  No matter which phone you decide on there's probably going to be a bit of a learning curve as they're much different than what you have now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

My current phone is a Samsung that's been doing great for over 6 years............(until I submerged it last weekend).

Probably the same phone I had for 2-3 years, until about 3 years ago on the 4th, I left it out in the rain.  

Mine is the same as Carl's, except I take much better care of it.  Samsung, galaxy 5.  If you like a bigger screen you might want to look at the Note series.  I prefer how the phones operate compared to the notes, but ymmv.  Get new but not latest model and save a lot.  I buy unlocked through amazon.  I recently saw an ad for a samsung 20 for $1249, holy moly I don't spend that on even a laptop.

• Like 1

Just now, oldtimer said:

Mine is the same as Carl's, except I take much better care of it.

You're not wrong.  LOL.

I've forgotten that the phone was in my pocket and stepped in the pool to cool off as I was bbq'ing.  I had done that multiple times in the past with no problems. This time either the charging plug wasn't in all the way or the back wasn't snapped on tight.  It was fine after I dried it off but a day later I saw little purple spots at the top of the display.  They started growing and blacking out the phone from the top down.  After a about 3 days you couldn't see anything on the screen. 

I don't like iPhones.  Never owned one.  Years ago, they seemed to have a solid OS.  Android is crushing them right now.  Chrome's voice recognition leaves Siri in the dust.  Productivity apps are plentiful in Google's Playstore.  I have an LG K20 that I bought probably 4 years ago for $179.  It does anything the $1,000 models can do (as far as I'm concerned).  I rely on mine for notes, to-do's, calendars, email, contacts... all in my Gmail account.  It's a really nice suite of stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coytee said:

How do various I-phone models compare to various Samsung models??

The first iPhone I ever saw was back in the summer of 2007 at that first Jubilee gathering. Bob Crites was flashing it around like a little kid -- I was hooked immediately. The first Android came out a year later and I thought it was junk. I didn't like any of them until a few years ago -- it has taken them the better part of a decade to catch up, and the new ones are very nice. 

I own both an iPhone 11 Pro Max and a Samsung S20 Ultra. I use the Samsung for streaming movies, audio, and reading. The screen gets brighter and is much easier to see in the sunlight. Picture quality is amazing, and you can do some interesting things with audio that the iPhone can't do. It's a killer device. You can get most of what I enjoy about it by buying a Samsung S10+. Those are heavily discounted right now, and it has a headphone jack, so you don't have to use a dongle with your headphones. I think you would really like the S10 or S10+

The iPhone is my daily driver. It's what I got used to and there is a lot to like about them. I prefer it for things like texting, email, and taking pictures. I also use it for music (I have Apple Music on both phones). Generally speaking, the apps for the iPhone just always seems to work better than their counterparts for Android, and there is so much more to choose from. The experience seems smoother overall, but it might just be because it's what I'm used to. I also like TrueTone, which is a display property Android doesn't have, and I prefer it for reading at night. The iPhone is what I use in the late evening for YouTube and surfing social media. You might want to check out the iPhone X, which has also dropped in price quite a bit. It is smaller than the Samsung S10+, but you might actually prefer that.

My company just issued me a company phone and it is an iPhone XR.  I have only owned Android phones, Samsung and HTC, up to this point and am seriously stressing to change over.:unsure:  I am sure the transition will be pretty smooth but for now I am putting it off until they(my company) tell me to get with it.:angry:

Bill

I got  put in charge of cell phone for our organization... it's a thankless job. We are on a state contract with Verizon so some phones we get are highly discounted.

My work phone is a Motorola Z4. Right now we get them free w/one yr contract. It's an awesome phone. More straightforward android without so much junk. Camera  is very good.

SamsIung S10e for $29.

S10 about $250

iPhones are stupid expensive.

We get great Kyocera flip phones for free.

I had just bought my own S10e last Fall. The got the moto Z4 at work. Wish I had got it as my personal phone... Used to hate the motorola phones. Not any more.

Just yesterday, I retired my iphone-6 which was almost 6 years old.  I replaced it with a new iphone SE (2020).  This is Apple's new "budget model" - basically an iphone-8 case, screen and camera with the latest A13 bionic-chip guts inside.  Hopefully it will last another 6 years.