New phone suggestions?

Coytee

22 hours ago, Coytee said:

Ok, so it might be that time.

I might get a new cell phone.  I'm on Verizon.  They have Samsung as their (evidently) promotional items on their site.....but they have a couple other brands.

My personal phone is a ......wait for it.......flip phone.  My work phone is (if I recall) an I-phone 6 something or another.

I don't need whiz-bang as evidenced by my flip phone however, I DO see how much they can do for you.

How do various I-phone models compare to various Samsung models??

Help me out of the stone age.

51gvhsF7FVL._AC_SY445_.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 1:02 PM, Coytee said:

Ok, so it might be that time.

I might get a new cell phone.  I'm on Verizon.  They have Samsung as their (evidently) promotional items on their site.....but they have a couple other brands.

My personal phone is a ......wait for it.......flip phone.  My work phone is (if I recall) an I-phone 6 something or another.

I don't need whiz-bang as evidenced by my flip phone however, I DO see how much they can do for you.

How do various I-phone models compare to various Samsung models??

Help me out of the stone age.

Samsung is king.  Some years ago my daughters would laugh at me for using an antiquated startac, so I bought an iPhone, their 3 version I believe. That phone was a big change, but it was also turned into a piece of crap after a couple years, then it stopped working. Since I didn't pay for the insurance, I had to by another.... that phone lasted 1 yr. before the microphone stopped working. I researched the crap out all the phones and bought a Samsung Note 4..... Currently use Note 8, but only because I dropped the Note 4 off a building by mistake.

Fast forward 7 or 8 yrs...... both my daughter's want to get rid of their iphones and get Samsung.  The video and photo quality of the Samsung trump the iphone (any version) all day long,  plus you can add a micro SD card for increased storage. The phone it's self is top notch, hands down, Samsung Galaxy or Note are superior to apples iphone.... just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

So, been perusing the different models of phones as well as the different plans.

One thing I noticed (I think on a pre-owned phone?) it says they're unlocked.

What's up with that?  Who would want to buy a phone that is locked?  (I presume that means it's non-usable??)

I just had the cracked screen and battery replaced om my 3-4 yr old  Iphone SE for about a $100. bucks.

Like the small size. I don't watch videos or movies on it. I have a smart TV for that. It's the only Apple device I own, Thank God.

25 minutes ago, Coytee said:

My wife will probably get a new phone too, so I'm looking at two lines.  I was intrigued on the 5G thing until I see it's nowhere near me.  So why look at 5G?  

5G will cure the COVID.    Do you mean you didn’t know that?

33 minutes ago, Coytee said:

One thing I noticed (I think on a pre-owned phone?) it says they're unlocked.

What's up with that?  Who would want to buy a phone that is locked?  (I presume that means it's non-usable??)

A new phone, through a carrier is locked to that carrier. Technically, they are only locked for a certain time. Verizon is really only locked for about a week. They want to recoup their costs before you change carriers, so they want you to sray on a lot longer. For example, two yrs ago I took a Samgung S7 to the Phippines for a SIL. Put in a Philippines carrier sim card, changed some settings and it works fine.

Here's a problem: If you a used android phone from someone and they did a factory reset and you get it.When you power it up, as a new phone, it will ask for the last or previous google account before you can continue. In that sense it is the same kind of security that an Apple ID provides on an iPhone.

11 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I saw an advertisement for a.product where it was an old school handset that plugged into a cell phone. why?  I just don't get it. Try cramming all that in your pants pocket.

41QkqQhi9yL._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

might impress the women....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Samsung Note 4

I had that one as well, I believe that have many been the one I left out in the rain.   When  I was replacing it with the 8, the sales rep talked highly of the 4 and stated how a lot of people would work their hardest keeping it going.  My 8 is the first phone that I actually had dropped and broken the screen, oddly I have dropped it numerous times and never broke the screen, plus the battery dies 3 times as fast.  Looks like I will be upgrading to the s20+, just looking for the right deal.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

My wife will probably get a new phone too, so I'm looking at two lines.  I was intrigued on the 5G thing until I see it's nowhere near me.  So why look at 5G?  

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD A MOVIE WITH 5G IN 2 MINUTES

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I saw an advertisement for a.product where it was an old school handset that plugged into a cell phone. why?  I just don't get it. Try cramming all that in your pants pocket.

I can hear it now...

"Is that phone in your pocket or did you come to see me?"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD A MOVIE WITH 5G IN 2 MINUTES

But....  don't you have to be in a 5g signal area?  (of which I'm nowhere near)

Second...  who'd want to watch a movie on their phone?  I barely watch you-tube video's

• Like 2