Help Me with My Grass

Jeff Matthews

• Moderators

I would say feed it, but use a weed and feed like this link, Scott's turf builder. I say this because this turf builder is made for St Augustine and should not be used on Bermuda, it kills it. Might not kill it totally but it surely try's, and if nothing else will not make it grow like this will make St Augustine grow. Scott's is a good brand, this is expensive but that bag covers 10,000 SF, might need a smaller bag ? But any brand designed to be used in St Augustine will do the same thing.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-Turf-Builder-Bonus-S-35-06-lb-10-000-sq-ft-Southern-Weed-and-Feed-Phosphorus-Free-Lawn-Fertilizer-33020/203811862

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, EmilC said:

That's why I love condo living.

No longer have to deal with this stuff

But I would rather deal with the grass than neighbors, you can't poison or ignore them when the complain like you can with grass. For me it would when they complain not if. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

What can I do to make the St. Augustine carpet the yard and choke out the Bermuda and weeds?  Here's a pic.

image.thumb.png.aaed5de8d755abb885c49cf53a12155e.png

Kill it all and start over with sod if you don't want to use chemicals.  Cover it with clear plastic and the sun will kill everything then resod.

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

But I would rather deal with the grass than neighbors, you can't poison or ignore them when the complain like you can with grass. For me it would when they complain not if. 

we have  a  town house condo in the City   , it stretches on 1 floor  from the front  to the back , the top neighbor is half deaf and sleeps like a log      the bottom neighbor is completely deaf , and his wife sleeps like a log , sooooooooo , playing loud music after they sleep is 🥳

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Kill it all and start over with sod if you don't want to use chemicals.  Cover it with clear plastic and the sun will kill everything then resod.

second that -----------or have a plow scrape off the top 6 inches of weeds , and resod ---------

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

What can I do to make the St. Augustine carpet the yard and choke out the Bermuda and weeds?  Here's a pic.

image.thumb.png.aaed5de8d755abb885c49cf53a12155e.png

Whoa there pardner. Hit that St..Augustine with some fertilizer, get it up between 2 and 4" and it will choke out bermuda.

There is nothing legal anymore that will kill Bermuda but safe for St..Augustine.

Everything in this article is consistent with my experience.

How much shade do you have. Bermuda will not grown in shade and St..Augustine will fill in.

You are going to have to use fertilizer, there is an organic manufacture I can get you name of,  if you don't care, use recommended. 

You will have to spray for cinch, it's a fact of life with St. A, so if you are thinking you can go chem free it ain't gonna happen.

https://thrivingyard.com/st-augustine-vs-bermuda-grass/

Get a soil test kit and send of to A&M, they will give you recomendations for down the road. 

17 hours ago, dtel said:

I would say feed it, but use a weed and feed like this link, Scott's turf builder. I say this because this turf builder is made for St Augustine and should not be used on Bermuda, it kills it. Might not kill it totally but it surely try's, and if nothing else will not make it grow like this will make St Augustine grow. Scott's is a good brand, this is expensive but that bag covers 10,000 SF, might need a smaller bag ? But any brand designed to be used in St Augustine will do the same thing.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-Turf-Builder-Bonus-S-35-06-lb-10-000-sq-ft-Southern-Weed-and-Feed-Phosphorus-Free-Lawn-Fertilizer-33020/203811862

That's good stuff......  I use that exact fertilizer on my lawn which consist of some bermuda (can't kill it) and mostly zoisia (aka Emerald Zoisia or King Ranch turf). It will not kill the bermuda, but will eradicate weeds, clover, dandy lions, dollar weed, etc.. The zoisia loves it and thrives on this Scots Southern blend.  Whatever you do, don't apply the fertilizer to wet grass (☹️) or wet plants, the area must be dry...... you should water afterwards.

I started using Scots Southern Fert. about 3  or 4 yrs ago and the lawn has thickened up considerably, won't allow weeds or crab grass to take root.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

They get enough rain o'er there that they don't hasta do that kind of sheet:)

St Augustine is a water hog, no doubt.  It is not as hardy as other ground covers either.  Up here I quit worrying about grass, now that I have so much shade, and just find hardy ground covers.

• Moderators

I disagree with killing it all or scraping it off. 

You will be shocked how well a good weed and feed will work to make the St Aug get thick and take over, one season maby two and it will be full. Way better than starting over.

When we did landscaping, we did not do grass but had some really good growers on contact for people who wanted good grass also. they would come out and lay it and trim around our gardens. This would be certified grass, in whatever strain they wanted, the most expensive was St Aug, the newer verities. 

Even with certified quality grass if the homeowner does not keep up with it it will eventually get other grasses mixed in from seeds from the area. This is why I say fix what you have and do not start over, it will fix itself faster than you think.

What we did here was whenever we had a job with new grass usually the homeowner would ask if we could get rid of the extra after the new sod was put down, i would say sure no problem. I would put in the trailer take it home and throw it out and keep it watered. At the time our 6 acres was mostly dirt from digging a pond and changing the grading on everything so i had plenty of places to throw it. Once I took home about a pallet and a half of certified St Aug at over $300 a pallet, the homeowners were extremely happy we got it off of there property, not as happy as me. I put the better grass around by the house, the rest of the yard got pieces to eventually fill in.

I put out all the free St Aug, Centipede, and a couple of the odd types for this area like hybrid Bermuda, Sahara. The St Aug and Bermuda have mostly taken over, I figured whichever was the strongest and takes over was what I wanted. 

The front yard (smallest area) St Aug, the next pic is the side yard, St Aug eventually going into whatever filled in. No weed and feed this year just 13-13-13 once so far, none of this get's regular watering. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2