Help Me with My Grass

Jeff Matthews

13 minutes ago, dtel said:

I disagree with killing it all or scraping it off.

Plus one.  Bermuda is not killed off so easily anyway.  Your 60 inches of rain a year is way easier on St Augustine than our plus 100's temps in the summer and half the rain.  Drought tolerant ground covers are the only way to go for shade at least here.  I have a liriope front lawn that filled in from the original bed border planting.  It doesn't have to be mowed unless you want to once maybe twice a year, and looks good either way, depending on the look you like.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

we solved that grass problem long ago -- it's called concrete.

That will fix the problem and having less of those pesky trees, but the bad side is it causes mental problems in people. :huh: Mostly from overpopulation, traffic, noise and with crowding you get overpricing with property and housing and most other things, then stress is kind of automatic. But you don't have to deal with grass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

But you don't have to deal with grass.

well, grass was the problem mentioned.  I offered a solution, that's what I do -- solve people's problems. Can't solve my own, but the problems of others are easy to fix. 

but since you mentioned it, maybe I'm nuts because I'm suffering because I was poisoned by the concrete jungle that I lived in?

• Moderators

I didn't say you were nuts, odd at time but not nuts. But you did leave, but like any bad habit it is making you think you need it and miss it, just say no, OK that's didn't work so well.

I had someone here visiting from NY, I told him i would not move there if they gave me a city block, unless I could stay a month then sell. We started talking about the crowding, noise and high prices, he said you get used to it and had no answer as why he really liked it except for some things being convenient. Then he say did you know NY has the highest suicide rate in the country, like he was almost bragging ?  I said it does not surprise me and he looked surprised, I said NY is great for some things but has some serious overpopulation problems, they are stacking people on top of each other at crazy prices and with everything else going on to deal with people get overwhelmed. I'd probably think about killing myself if I had to live there the rest of my life, or I would become a really bad person.

I lived in subdivisions all of my life, not that that is anything close to real city life. But about 30 years ago we moved to the country (not here) and after a while I realized what I had been missing, never again, so we looked for property, not a lot surrounded closely by others.

Everybody's different, I know whats for me, privacy and being left alone is first on the list.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Plus one.  Bermuda is not killed off so easily anyway.  Your 60 inches of rain a year is way easier on St Augustine than our plus 100's temps in the summer and half the rain.  Drought tolerant ground covers are the only way to go for shade at least here.  I have a liriope front lawn that filled in from the original bed border planting.  It doesn't have to be mowed unless you want to once maybe twice a year, and looks good either way, depending on the look you like.

True, the rain helps, I have sprinklers on some of it but only use them if I fertilize.

I have seen a few liriope lawns, just a good weed eating will cut it back and it comes back like new.

I don't have any regular liriope here, a little monkey grass and a few of the giant liriope, which get pretty big and are just as tough as the regular.

The giant get's around 3 feet tall.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

@dtel  I actually like the country as long as it is not too far removed from the city.  I'm just spoiled by the conveniences and choices offered by a big city.  

Just a few miles west of me is country.  that's ideal because it's only half-hour to a big city.  I would buy here; but I've found that this place is just too damp for me. Ground outside my back door hasn't been dry once since I moved in here (over a year ago) ... yes, it constant shade; but still ....

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

@dtel  I actually like the country as long as it is not too far removed from the city.  I'm just spoiled by the conveniences and choices offered by a big city.  

Just a few miles west of me is country.  that's ideal because it's only half-hour to a big city.  I would buy here; but I've found that this place is just too damp for me. Ground outside my back door hasn't been dry once since I moved in here (over a year ago) ... yes, it constant shade; but still ....

That's not good but normal for that North east area, rain and damp.

I don't blame you for wanting to not be far from a city, just not in a city. Were about 30 min from Slidell LA, it's a little over 27K people, and an hour from New Orleans.

We live in Picayune MS the population is 10,800 and we live 10 miles out of town.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

That's not good but normal for that North east area, rain and damp.

I don't blame you for wanting to not be far from a city, just not in a city. Were about 30 min from Slidell LA, it's a little over 27K people, and an hour from New Orleans.

We live in Picayune MS the population is 10,800 and we live 10 miles out of town.

town in live in now is a little over 108,000 ... 17 miles from a town of 2.1 million.  Seems that the growth is more north/south ... I'm to the west and like I said, I go a few miles and it's just like country ... farms, lots of empty land.  pretty nice situation ... if not for the constant dampness and fighting mold in the shower and around the windows.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

pretty nice situation ... if not for the constant dampness and fighting mold in the shower and around the windows.

Not great for someone with breathing problems.

43 minutes ago, babadono said:
1 hour ago, dtel said:

I'd probably think about killing myself

They're working on a solution so you won't have to take care of that yourself.

True all I would have to go to a city and say most anything not totally inclusive of everyone's feelings. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dtel said:

we looked for property, not a lot surrounded closely by others.

Everybody's different, I know whats for me, privacy and being left alone is first on the list.

great idea,  everybody wishes for what you have , but few ever dare to live freer-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
Just now, RandyH 000 said:

great idea,  everybody wishes for what you have , but few ever dare to live freer-

Since this was originally about grass, not the most popular kind........I just want to live where I could grow more than a 50'x100' piece of grass..(not that kind)...OK not really just didn't want close neighbors.

We always had good neighbors but none is better than good.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, BigStewMan said:

Fonda is wearing great sunglasses.  don't think they are; but they remind me of the Renauld Spectulars (which are the king of sunglasses)

Now who knows this kind of stuff ? YOU apparently

• Haha 1

Just now, dtel said:

Now who knows this kind of stuff ? YOU apparently

now isn't that proof that you're missing out on a big city education.  I am a product of the Los Angeles County school system -- guess it wasn't a total waste. Still can't figure out why my high school had a barbed wire fence?

55 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Fonda is wearing great sunglasses.  don't think they are; but they remind me of the Renauld Spectulars (which are the king of sunglasses)

Bausch Lomb  USA  , Rayban RB3119

38 minutes ago, dtel said:

Since this was originally about grass, not the most popular kind........I just want to live where I could grow more than a 50'x100' piece of grass..(not that kind)...OK not really just didn't want close neighbors.

We always had good neighbors but none is better than good.

I dont blame you one bit ------better be free than dead -

52 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you mean these

American Eyewear - Spectaculars USA