Help Me with My Grass

Jeff Matthews

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

yeah, I've owned two pair of the Olympians.  was in a gas station bathroom on I5 in-between LA and San Francisco. leaned my head back too far at the urinal and they fell off. Landed close to a toilet in one of the stalls. I stood there looking at the pricey shades and couldn't bring myself to pick them up (OCD kicked in). So, I just said to myself "somebody is going to find a nice pair of shades."  when we got on the road my brother asked where my sunglasses were and I told him the story. He said, you could have just brought them home and boiled them. 

I wish I had ... those were nice. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

My back yard grass:

Nice looking yard/trees.

Is that Oak trees ? I ask because most people think grass does not grow great under a large Oak is because of the shade, but it's really in some cases because of the Oak tree oil. Old Oaks have a oil in the leaves and they may also just put it out somehow which causes plants to not do well under them. I was told this by a lady biologist that works paper companies managing there tree farms. They also put of a type of pollen that can get into a damaged area on a pine and that is what makes those big knots you see on some pines. For these reasons paper companies prefer to remove the Oaks from areas they farm.

15 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

yeah, I've owned two pair of the Olympians.  was in a gas station bathroom on I5 in-between LA and San Francisco. leaned my head back too far at the urinal and they fell off. Landed close to a toilet in one of the stalls. I stood there looking at the pricey shades and couldn't bring myself to pick them up (OCD kicked in). So, I just said to myself "somebody is going to find a nice pair of shades."  when we got on the road my brother asked where my sunglasses were and I told him the story. He said, you could have just brought them home and boiled them. 

I wish I had ... those were nice. 

you can still buy these new ,  from Rayban - here is the Bausch Lomb version that was made in Italy ,  very similar

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

you can still buy these new ,  from Rayban - here is the Bausch Lomb version that was made in Italy ,  very similar

I saw a YouTube video a few months ago that showed how many brands Luxottica owns. They bought the Ray Ban brand when it was dying, likely the reason they're made in Italy now.

My youngest went to college in Manhattan, and still lives there. Her 299 square foot studio apartment measures 13 x 23 feet, and costs $2100 a month. The thing is, there's always so many places to see and do, and new places to eat, that I wouldn't mind staying there if I could afford it. I wish I'd taken notes when a hobby shop clerk described how to get a rent controlled apartment. I've gone there on average, twice a year for the past 8 years, and haven't gotten tired of it yet. I have grass where I live now, and as long as it grows, I don't think too much about it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

They bought the Ray Ban brand when it was dying, likely the reason they're made in Italy now.

the older Rayban product was far superior in terms of quality of the frame , and the lenses -

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Nice looking yard/trees.

Is that Oak trees ? I ask because most people think grass does not grow great under a large Oak is because of the shade, but it's really in some cases because of the Oak tree oil. Old Oaks have a oil in the leaves and they may also just put it out somehow which causes plants to not do well under them. I was told this by a lady biologist that works paper companies managing there tree farms. They also put of a type of pollen that can get into a damaged area on a pine and that is what makes those big knots you see on some pines. For these reasons paper companies prefer to remove the Oaks from areas they farm.

Oaks pull so much water out of the ground also.  They don't leave much for the grass.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Oaks pull so much water out of the ground also.  They don't leave much for the grass.

That's true, where we used  to live there was giant pecan tree in the back yard, about 3' across. It had a mold fungus growing on it so we had the local state horticulturist  come look at it, it turned out the type of fungus would not hurt the tree. He had never seen one that big. He said a tree that size could suck 300 gallons of water a day out of the ground, that was way more than I would have ever thought. 

I asked my Aunt once what kind of apples grew on her tree in the backyard and she said Piss Apples. I told her that I didn't know what piss apples were and she told me that the apple tree was the tree that all of us kids used to piss on when we were growing up. 

11 hours ago, dtel said:

... the bad side is it causes mental problems in people. :huh: Mostly from overpopulation, traffic, noise and with crowding you get overpricing with property and housing and most other things, then stress is kind of automatic.

Big city dwellers should remember what happened to Calhoun's crowded rats.   They were not necessarily having existential crises, but were "sliding down the behavioral sink," as Tom Wolfe would have it, as are many denizens of the megalopolis.  Some grass of any kind might help.🤪

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Nice looking yard/trees.

Yes, huge oak trees some of which measure 11.9 feet circumstance about 6 feet off the ground. One biologist from Ohio State University said they suck about 300 gallons of water per day. And my grass is always screaming for help.

JJK

I grow horseherb under my oaks.  Also liriope will creep in.  Both extremely drought tolerant ground covers that can be mowed, or not.  The horseherb does disappear in winter while liriope stays green all the time.  Not sure what they would do in your climate zone.

When I purchased my first house, I had the front yard sodded. Kentucky Bluegrass I believe it was. The neighbor came over and told me to take a good look because it will never look like that again. He was right :^)

Are we the only nation , maybe beside Canada, that spends so much time, money and effort on grass? :^)