Can Heresy Speakers Be Dated BY Serial Number?

escorial

Hi,

I have a older set of Heresys that I I purchased used back around 1977, they came unfinished w/o grills but do have the gold Klipsch logos on the front of the cabinets above the tweeter.

The serial numbers are:

47R039

47R040

On the label from what I can make out it says HL BR

(sorry ran out of room for the other speakers SN)

They are both still working but one of them when I purchased did have a hole in the woofers dust cover, it never affected the sound and I have been getting around to replace that ( yeah since the late 70s 😉

Would the dust cover be available from Klipsch?

Back to the sound they still sound ok but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to re-cap the crossovers and if so would the parts be available from Klipsch?20200709_055632.thumb.jpg.4cadb2900ca6c60438c4979fa0c2ee1f.jpg

20200709_055625.jpg

Yes, recommend you recap the crossovers.  Crites sells replacement kits for DIY, or there are many other options out there from Parts Express, Sonicraft, etc.

Photos would be helpful of the fronts and the hole in the dust cap.

10 hours ago, escorial said:

Back to the sound they still sound ok but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to re-cap the crossovers and if so would the parts be available from Klipsch?

my 1977 Heresy 1 has all original caps and it's bone stock , and the  sound is sublime -----on the other hand my Cornwall 78 were needing new caps ---------somehow the Heresy still sounds great and I'm not planning any changes to the caps , although the parts are cheap to replace ------

• Moderators

If you want to have the networks/crossovers updated to factory spec, as mentioned you can order a DIY kit from Crites, if you don't feel up to doing it yourself here is the factory authorized repair dealer who can update it for you:

For crossovers that we may no longer have available, you may be able to get them repaired through one of our authorized Heritage Dealers:

JEM PERFORMANCE AUDIO

(412) 401-6915
https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

499 Limestone Dr
Bethel Park, PA 15102 United States

On 7/12/2020 at 2:13 PM, escorial said:

Took some pix, looks like the crossovers may need a rebuild, tweeters not working on either speaker. But it I wire direct to the tweeter then they work so it has to be the crossovers correct?

beautiful speakers , nothing like a stained birch finish ---------

On 7/12/2020 at 2:13 PM, escorial said:

Took some pix, looks like the crossovers may need a rebuild, tweeters not working on either speaker. But it I wire direct to the tweeter then they work so it has to be the crossovers correct?

you can purchase , new capacitors for a few $ each , there are 4  ,  unscrew the old , unsolder only when you  have the new caps in front of you , mark the wires of the speakers for polarity , and 20  minutes later , new caps and new sound -for about 25$, all you need is a soldering iron and a bit of solder material  -

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jiminrockies said:

I have a line on a pair of what appear to be Hereseys. Medium veneer cabinets and the logos are on the bottom border of the grill cloth. There's no model name, but I have the part number

And serial number:

Thanks in advance!

most likely 1990 ------------