Refinishing Heresy HIP Aluminum Trim

Frzninvt

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

super nice of you , and you also sent @DizRotus the grilles for his HIP ---

We traded the expanded metal grilles for a pair of round magnet Alnico K-77s removed from my HIPs.  It was a win win for @longdrive03 and me. The switch to Crites CT120 tweeters made the K-77s available.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mortonbarrows said:

The problem with anodizing is that the corner pieces are a Zink pot metal and won’t anodize. I had my HIP trim all electroless nickel plated. 

Where did you have that done.  I was going to progressively sand all the pieces up to about 2000 grit then polish with simichrome.  I did this process to some car amplifiers I had and it came out nice but it is an awful amount of work.  At least this time I don't have to sand past the anodizing.

HiFonics Isis - 2 eBay.JPG

9 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Where did you have that done.  I was going to progressively sand all the pieces up to about 2000 grit then polish with simichrome.  I did this process to some car amplifiers I had and it came out nice but it is an awful amount of work.  At least this time I don't have to sand past the anodizing.

HiFonics Isis - 2 eBay.JPG

I did the prep work my self. I took the trim to Precision Plating in Salt Lake City. It cost $350 to plate everything.

7E1E7CA1-3161-40AC-A317-CF70EC64B2D0.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Mortonbarrows said:

I did the prep work my self. I took the trim to Precision Plating in Salt Lake City. It cost $350 to plate everything.

-I did not know plating was that expensive ---------but they look  fantastic --

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I have well over $10,000 in custom chrome plating alone on my Tamaha V-Max Motorcycle. I have a total of $27,000 just in modifications yo it...

Rog

that's gotta be a Beautiful bike -------is that the original VMAX  or the newer revision

2020 Yamaha Vmax

On 8/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, Mortonbarrows said:

Here are my HIPs finished.

7FD86225-499A-4926-957A-191841F65D98.jpeg

Please, a lot more close up of the details of your nickel plating. Did you polish and Nickle plate the pot metal corners as well ??? I have four split La Scalas and a pair of Pro Heresy slant monitors that are all getting veneered with Santos Rosewood for my daughter and I am trying to decide on redoing an exact original finish or something like a polished nickel finish with the dark wood veneer ???

Roger

• Like 1

1995 first generation, lowered 2 inches front and back plus another 2 inches at the seat. She has 14 coats of paint, a 3 inch over braced and chromed rear swing arm, 20mm rear tire, billet rims front and back, a 3 inch over chrome molly drive shaft, aftermarket 30mm Keihin Flat Slide Race carbs and aftermarket intake. Aftermarket solid thin wall stainless headers and cans, one of only two custom sets made. She has transmission work done and an air shifter. She also has over $4,000 in her nitrous system alone. Fully ported heads with larger Titanium Valves. Aftermarket clutch, ignition, MSD wires, aftermarket coils and timing retard for the giggle gas, plus a ton of chrome and other stuff. I even have a custom flamed seat with a woman's vibrator built into the passenger seat that is hooked to the ignition system so vibrator speed increases with RPM. Aftermarket rear shocks and custom springs and gold emulators in the front forks. Larger rear single disc with 4 piston billet chromed caliper, custom front disks with two chromed billet front calipers, custom brake master cylinders, all braded stainless steel lines, and a hell of a lot more!!!  :D

Rog

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the trim does have anodizing and it was a quite the job to sand through it I did the front eight pieces on one speaker and it took a ton of sanding.  Looks great but it is alot of work. Worked my way through the grits, 80, 120, 240, 320, 400, 800.  I was going to polish with Simichrome but decided that it looking good enough.  I am going to need alot more sandpaper for my palm sander to do the other one and I will probably only do the front facing pieces because of the amount of effort involved.

• Like 1