lack of Cornwall 1 bass

VDS

2 hours ago, VDS said:

Newer Emotiva power amp, 75 wpc, schitt Saga preamp.  schiit dac from laptop,  exact set up with Elac speakers that made a lot of base for a 6" bookshelf woofer

Amplifier power is not your problem. 40 watts will drive a Cornwall to ear splitting levels. Make sure your polarities are not reversed anywhere. Cornwalls have the "fattest" bass of any of the Heritage speakers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billybob said:

If nothing else to use to check, go back over your connections on your computer to DAC and from to your Emotiva. What is the model of the Emotiva?

Just want to see your unit so can check it out. Not concerned about the power of unit...

55 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

All same amplification as with my old Klipsch RP6000f . If i added 12bd with EQ on those towers it was a boomy, muddy bass, bad, and to much of it.  So I think amplification is ok. Elacs still put out  bass today. The Cornwalls are definetly a more laid back, less punchy base.  While inside I disconnected mid driver and the total volume dropped A LOT! Tweeter was super quiet, the mid seems to be supplying 80%+ in terms of total sound. Does that seem right?   Also wire to woofer appears to be aluminum, maybe aluminum coated copper, but definetly not 100% copper, is that normal?

Edited by VDS

1 minute ago, mark1101 said:

Are you able to take any frequency response measurements?  You would be able to spot the issue pretty quickly that way.

No, don’t have test equipment

3 hours ago, VDS said:

Yes, 4 frequency Schiit Loki, 20hz at 12db gain, 400hz at 2db.  
location does make a big difference, I’m finding that. But haven’t found a location that give me too much bass

The only thing a 12dB boost at 20Hz is going to do is suck all the power from your amp trying to make the Cornwalls play at a frequency that they can't reproduce. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

My cornwalls have very prominent bass.  So something may not be right with your setup or room.  it may also be that nothing at all is wrong and your other speakers just had more bass.

One thing I noticed after downloading a dB meter for my phone is that my usual listening levels are 60-70db . Louder than this the bass certainly becomes very prominent.  Are others getting good bass at 65db or is this the problem 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, VDS said:

They sound great otherwise, I did not think I would need a sub, but....

A sub would not fix what your saying, a Cornwall does not play to the sub range so adding one still leaves what you say is lacking. 

EQ boost in the amount your talking is not a good idea for when you turn it up, at low volumes it's OK

Find the problem and go from there, half way fixes only fixes it halfway. A Cornwall does not lack bass, unless your expecting crazy bass or deeper bass than it reproduce. I have never heard a Cornwall short on bass.

I would bet it's either out of phase, room problems, source setting, sorry equipment which you don't have or over expectations, which I doubt. Those first 3 usually turn out to be the problem in many cases.

• Like 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, VDS said:

One thing I noticed after downloading a dB meter for my phone is that my usual listening levels are 60-70db . Louder than this the bass certainly becomes very prominent.  Are others getting good bass at 65db or is this the problem 

Yes plenty of bass at that level, it's not going to shake the house but solid bass.

Also check the laptop, also the source if streaming with a  low bit rate can also mess with how it sounds as far as just sounding kind of flat. 

Also what kind of cable is used from the laptop, (not brand or quality) I) asked because I tried using the 3.5mm headphone output on the laptop and switched to a HDMI out of the laptop and had a much better sound quality. Other different connections could affect it also ?

Just ideas from problems I have had with a laptop and streaming with different cables.

Nothing wrong with adding a sub, but I would try to get this fixed first, well try out all the free things first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Amplifier power is not your problem. 40 watts will drive a Cornwall to ear splitting levels. Make sure your polarities are not reversed anywhere. Cornwalls have the "fattest" bass of any of the Heritage speakers.

this is the  amp -----

BasX A-150 Stereo Power Amplifier

• Moderators

Emotiva likes to use big transformers, I use 2 of the little 50 wpc amps to run active, it positively puts out the power it is rated at.

Looking at parts mine is not very far off from that amp. I do like them, very quiet, actual NO sound between songs even if you stick you head in the 402 horn. And if there was any noise you would hear it on that big, highly sensitive horn.

And there cheap, $229 new, I think they do not get much credit because of the brand, it's a shame some don't know what there missing. BasX A-100

Look similar

speakers.png

• Like 1

Now that we got you, do the @dtel ...recc on the computer.

link/info above.

Then, try, if you have the output from computer laptop(?) audio out bypass the Dac and go straight to the Emotiva using a 3.5 mm to RCA stereo cable to a line level input to check out bass performance.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

Now that we got you, do the @dtel ...recc on the computer.

link/info above.

Then, try, if you have the output from computer laptop(?) audio out bypass the Dac and go straight to the Emotiva using a 3.5 mm to RCA stereo cable to a line level input to check out bass performance.

Thanks!

I’ve always used usb from laptop to Dac, then EQ, pre amp, lastly Emotiva amp.

using Spotify premium, can’t remember the specs, not as good as tidal, but good.

Wouldn’t using 3.5mm jack on laptop mean using the worst possible dac, the one in the laptop? I could try as a test, but it’s a bad way to connect.

it seems like room acoustics, which I do not understand, standing waves, nulls, etc.  I definitely change the bass by moving into corner, out from wall, corners give most bass, which is what I consistently read.
Anybody think absorbers or diffusers close to speakers help? Can’t imagine that would increase the bass, I think just change the character of it?

• Like 1

Here we have a situation where you have not responded to my inquiry as to another source just to try. Now what we are doing is continuing troubleshooting. Regardless as to the quality of the music, we want to bypass the Dac entirely, just to see if the bass is being impaired. Just a methodical approach to suss out what appears to be the bass. Look at your connections to the Dac.

The cable I suggest will give full bass if there is some setting inside the computers sound card....Ask again, what is the model of the Emotiva... thanks