Early CW's & ALK Networks?

ThomasD.

Have an original pair of  '72 vertical decorators that are probably my end game Klipsch speaker due to availability/size/area/wife factors etc.  Going to strip and veneer to make them "socially acceptable".  They sound a little 'weak' to me, due no doubt to age so X/O upgrades are in store.  Have used Bob C's x/o's for my KG4's & Quartets and have been happy with them.  I realize that Bobs are basically updated clones of the originals. ALK's  networks seem to be a definite departure from original and they are mentioned here a lot though usually with LS's or Khorns.  The adjustability through xformer taps has me intrigued.  Al is approx. 3 months out on manufacturing so they must be popular.  Again, these are the early vertical CWII's (I know, not really CWII's but the tag clearly says CWII!)  Most gear upstream is either a Dynaco ST70, Marantz SS receivers or Carver equipment.  Anyone here with experience in using ALK's CWS's or Extreme Slopes Networks in CW's w/stock drivers?  Appreciate the input.

Edited by ThomasD.
bad grammar

You cannot use the ALK Universal network the with the adjustable taps in the Cornwall you need his Type B that he no longer offers I attached the schematic for you.  I have them in my '80 Cornwalls and they are very, very nice networks.  He stopped offering them because not to many people wanted to invest $500 to $550 in networks for their Cornwalls.

ALK Type B Network 2.jpg

ALK Type B Network Schematic.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Frzninvt  Thanks for the reply.  Didn’t catch that on his website.  Noticed that the ‘Universal’ was changed to ‘CWS’ networks.  What about the ES series of networks?  Guess I better contact him for verification as the website seems to imply that some of his networks are compatible with most of the heritage models as well as other brands. 

5 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:

@Frzninvt  Thanks for the reply.  Didn’t catch that on his website.  Noticed that the ‘Universal’ was changed to ‘CWS’ networks.  What about the ES series of networks?  Guess I better contact him for verification as the website seems to imply that some of his networks are compatible with most of the heritage models as well as other brands. 

I think you are over-complication yourself , a B Network is all you --------

Talked to Al this past week. For the older CW’s he recommended either the CSW single  networks or dual network ES600/5800. Large price difference but he claims there is quite a SQ difference with the more extreme x/o roll offs. This hobby is a money pit regardless so If I’m investing in a full cosmetic upgrade of these it might be worth it, to me anyway, to see how the ALK’s really perform. Haven’t heard much negative feedback from LS / Khorn @Ol_mcdonald owners who have used these networks. 

Never been good at pouring on praise or able to describe “the sound” But they do sound better, cleaner I’d say. Having just moved into a new home and making numerous changes it’s difficult to say which one was most influential in the current setup but will say I  am very pleased with Al’s work. I didn’t have to suffer the entire cost of the paired networks for LF and HF since my LF Xover is handled by DSP. I have the ES5800T built for bi amping which saved me a little 💵 from Al but do have the cost of the DSP.

image.jpeg.5dd9408738b62ce83cd032bdd964989b.jpeg

DSP. Haven’t crossed that bridge yet but am very intrigued by the possibilities. Having a 7’ stereo console in Walnut made  just to appease my wife so that I can have a couple pieces of equipment, TT & vinyl storage in the living room. Built in H3’s at each end which in retrospect weren’t the best choice due to their slight bass deficiency. My Marantz equipment still have  tone controls and  since I’ve never been that much of a ‘purist’, I’m not afraid to use them. 

I think you have the 'old values' for Al's network. New values reflect the acknowledgement of a 6 ohm woofer at the xover where the 1.3mH is swapped for a 2.4mH and 39uF for 62uF. Also swap out the 39uF for 30uF and 1.3mH for 2mH. The 5.6ohm resistor across the autoformer is adjusted to 10ohm.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...