Pretty Wild Ebay Packing Job

thebes

I'm restoring my 1962 Triumph 350cc motorcycle. Needed a piston barrel because mine would have to be re-sleeved.  So I find one with still plenty of life to it on ebay in merry old England. It arrives this week packed in an ancient rusty metal container. The security of the barrel is shored up with sawed up pieces of a wooden bannister and what looks to some ancient wood flooring.  Scatter throughout are some very oily pieces of what looks to be paraffin paper.  It worked. Everything was fine.

I may be wrong, but I'd like to think that that ancient metal box was an ammunition box from the Battle of Britain. it's certainly at least that old.

packing (2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, thebes said:

I'm restoring my 1962 Triumph 350cc motorcycle. Needed a piston barrel because mine would have to be re-sleeved.  So I find one with still plenty of life to it on ebay in merry old England. It arrives this week packed in an ancient rusty metal container. The security of the barrel is shored up with sawed up pieces of a wooden bannister and what looks to some ancient wood flooring.  Scatter throughout are some very oily pieces of what looks to be paraffin paper.  It worked. Everything was fine.

I may be wrong, but I'd like to think that that ancient metal box was an ammunition box from the Battle of Britain. it's certainly at least that old.

packing (2).jpg

the fit well in the history of the time , the box is a bonus-

• Like 1

Very doubtful lads.  It's not quite a ammo box. I'm thinking it was an industrial container. Probably full of nuts and blots shipped originally from some factory.  It's severely rusty. Believe me the Brits never throw anything away. If it was worth anything the guy I bought the barrel from would have surely made a buck, or in this case, a pound off of it.

Still I may get the worst of the rust off, fix the hole in the bottom, and maybe spray paint it.

• Like 1