new KBAR 48 - Volume Controls - Only MAX volume or MIN volume - tried everything i could find

Brassman101

Hello everyone - just got this awesome KBAR 48 with wireless sub delivered 3 days ago and setup immediately. Everything was fine during setup, all parts worked, and then I experienced a problem with the volume and controlling it. I submitted a ticket to support and tried to call for the past 3 days multiple times per day to only receive the same pre-recorded training message. Message of ticket below with details. Any insight or guidance on what to do to resolve or any other advice on getting a workaround, I'd be grateful. Excited to watch some movies and just waiting for the new TV to have it's new sound system! 

Thanks in advance! My best - Chris

I just received this, set it all up and it's working properly less this one major issue which is preventing use of the product. Following the instructions in the manual for TV Remote Programming on pg 21, on step 5, i pressed the volume up 1x and then waited... nothing happens. So in tinkered and tried other combinations and eventually step 6 happened after pressing the TV button on the BAR 48 remote. Now whenever I press + on my TV remote, it goes from 0 volume to 100 without stopping 1 by 1. If i press volume down (-) on the TV remote (even without programming it...) it does the inverse... from 100 to 0 quickly 1 by 1 until the sound is off again. I cannot even use the BAR 48 remote to resolve the issue (as i REALLY want to use this product!), as when I press the BAR 48 remote the first volume LED ticks up, then right back down. Even when it's @ max volume in error, i cannot use the BAR 48 remote to lower it. It looks like the system believes the volume buttons are being pressed and held down, at least thats what the symptoms look like.

I've tried programming it again using the same instructions - no luck.
I've tried programming it with alternate instructions on the internet for Klipsch products - no luck.
I've updated the firmware to the latest version possible as of today (7/8/20) - no luck.
I've tried factory reset (hold the 2 buttons for 10secs) - no luck.
I've tried calling the number for support - no luck (coincidentally its a maintenance window at 1:30pm CST on a Wednesday business day).

I believe I'm out of options and REALLY need your help to get this seemingly deafening (when it's on 100 for a second...) fantastic product to function.

Thanks in advance.

My best,
Chris

Additional notes:

The subwoofer buttons are perfectly functional, they increment by +1 and -1 properly. They remain at the level set and dont escalate up to MAX or MIN.
The two volume buttons on the sound bar itself exhibit the same function as the BAR 48 controller notes in original email (up or down 1 quickly then whatever the root cause is sets the volume back to 0).

@Brassman101

Klipsch Tech Support leaves much to be desired. The first step is to opened a service request and get an SR number. You should get an email response but that could take weeks. Your best bet is to phone but it is not unusual to wait on the line for an hour. Some people have complained that after an hour they get a message saying that no one is available and the line disconnects. It is what it is. I have not heard this training message. You will likely have to wait until it is removed. 😞

I have not tried the TV Remote Programming myself nor has anyone else posted similar issues but I am not surprised to learn there are new issues with some of the more obscure functions.

It is not clear exactly what a factory reset does. It doesn't appear to do very much. I believe it will remove existing Bluetooth parings.

Did the BAR 48 volume controls work properly before you tried the TV Remote Programming?

As an end user, like yourself, I don't have any inside information regarding undocumented functions or procedures so I can only speculate on what may help. Perhaps of you have a different remote you could try to set it up and see if you experience different behavior. The other thing you can do is return it to your retailer for a replacement and hope the new one doesn't have the same issues.

I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

@billups

You should register your BAR 48 with Klipsch (Product Registration) then open a service request. The first thing Klipsch tech support will want to know is whether you have installed the latest firmware so I suggest you do that before you open the service request.

The fact that more than one person has encountered this issue suggests to me that it may affect many devices. As users attempt to exploit lesser used features more such issues will surface. 

It will likely take quite some time before tech support resolves this issue and they won't discuss with you any progress they might be making. I would return your BAR 40 to your retailer for a replacement as that is something else that tech support will suggest. It may be your specific device is defective and, if so, it is probably the fastest way to resolve your issue. If the replacement has the same issue then that provides further evidence that this is a generic issue that requires a firmware update or a hardware refresh to resolve.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I just set up our new Klipsch Soundbar 48 and subwoofer yesterday, and am having the exact same issue! Just wondering if you ever resolved it - and if so, what did you do to fix it? I've tried everything so far - factory reset, trying to unpair the LG remote etc. Very frustrating.

Cheers,

Sarah

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

we we have had our sound bar for about 2 years now.  We just are now having the same issue going from 0 to 100 with out pressing the volume button. Did anyone com with the fix? We have tried everything except the firm update. What is puzzling is what it started now after working so well for 2 years.  Any advice is appreciated.

Roger