Klipsch kg4 tweeter not working

ErnsterO

I recently picked up a pair of kg4 speakers and one of the horns is not working. When I switched the non-working horn into the working side it's still made no sound at all. When I took the working side horn and swapped it into the non-working side it began to play music perfectly. So I know it's not the wiring. What my question is does this mean the horn Tweeter is blown or does it mean it just needs a new diaphragm. I connected the k74 horn to a multimeter and got zero reading again not sure if this means new diaphragm or new complete horn? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Thanks I wasn't sure about the internals of the horn and if there was some other element that would keep it from making sound. I ordered a single diaphragm just to make certain it was something I could replace and repair myself and also to see if I hear an audible difference. Later after listening I will decide if it's necessary to replace the other. Thanks for the input. 

12 minutes ago, ErnsterO said:

Thanks I wasn't sure about the internals of the horn and if there was some other element that would keep it from making sound. I ordered a single diaphragm just to make certain it was something I could replace and repair myself and also to see if I hear an audible difference. Later after listening I will decide if it's necessary to replace the other. Thanks for the input. 

Please report back to us as to whether you hear a difference between the replacement and the working tweeter, and your opinion of the difference in sound, if any.

This is my temporary replacement. Haha. I took a Peerless tweeter from an old set of monitors and scabbed it in just to see how it sounded. I honestly can't say it's a huge difference. I also spent many years working with power tools so I may not be the best candidate for hearing comparisons. 

15944826589861349351536089962677.jpg

I received the replacement from Simply Speakers, $18.00 delivered, and I must say it works well. My only complaint was that the lower centering hole was smaller than the other 2 centering holes and I needed to use a drill step bit by hand and make the hole a little larger. Other than that the sound isn't as bright on the replacement but it's hardly noticeable and my way of compensating was to raise the treble by one click on that side. Perhaps I'll order a second one just to balance out the sound. Also the picture is just for the part number reference as the diaphragm pictured is the old original Klipsch one. The new one has the terminals coming out on the sides, no biggie. I am definitely satisfied and I'll mess with the balance a little later as it could just be the track I was listening to at the time. Cheers 15950168659048000475824736565309.thumb.jpg.cb8792a1ea9ac1d088f315219ded8f54.jpg

• Like 1