150 watt Class A, Usher Reference R1.5

Shiva

Noticed this amp on my local Craigslist and it caught my eye.  

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/westminster-usher-reference-r15-solid/7155721851.html

150 watts per side Class A. That is a pretty formidable claim and checked out some reviews to verify.  According to this one reviewer, this amp draws 55 watts even when it is turned off!  That seems just a tad wasteful.   260 watts when on.  I used to have a Forte 4A,  when I first wanted to explore a Class A amp, which had 50 watts a side.

https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_power_amps_e.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, Shiva said:

Noticed this amp on my local Craigslist and it caught my eye.  

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/westminster-usher-reference-r15-solid/7155721851.html

150 watts per side Class A. That is a pretty formidable claim

it must be a fantastic amplifier ----------do you remember the asking price -------it's sold for sure

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

but they sound fantastic

Of course. All class A's do, but it's truly wasteful of energy for Klipsch speakers that only require a few Watts to create ear bleeding levels! I own 3 Class A amps myself, all of them under 25 watts per channel.

13 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Of course. All class A's do, but it's truly wasteful of energy for Klipsch speakers that only require a few Watts to create ear bleeding levels! I own 3 Class A amps myself, all of them under 25 watts per channel.

which one do you recommend

The one in San Fran is about 500 miles from the one that I first saw.    It is not uncommon for people to toss up another listing after a period of time for the same item, with a lower price. I see that often. 

• Like 1

You showed us your "Soundgarden" in the Vinyl Record Spinning Thread and I'm wondering why you want to use such an amplifier. In my opinion this is oversized and really not necessary. You are currently running a Topping Class D amp. I think this is only the beginner class anyway. Every high quality integrated amplifier will play better. In terms of power, 50 watts per channel is easily enough for you. It can also be a Class A amp. A first Watt , even a " clone " will be fine .

YMTC :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

You showed us your "Soundgarden" in the Vinyl Record Spinning Thread and I'm wondering why you want to use such an amplifier. In my opinion this is oversized and really not necessary. You are currently running a Topping Class D amp. I think this is only the beginner class anyway. Every high quality integrated amplifier will play better. In terms of power, 50 watts per channel is easily enough for you. It can also be a Class A amp. A first Watt , even a " clone " will be fine .

YMTC :rolleyes:

Its not a want, just caught my eye and did some reading on it.   I have had a soft spot for Class A amps after reading about and buying the Forte Model 4 amp quite a few years ago now and later sold.  50 watts of Class A at 8ohm and 100 at 4ohms.  http://www.hifi-review.com/153705-forte-model-4.html

The Topping is for occasional play,  my main amp is a Crown K2, which has a bit more juice to it.