BEST brand of crossover Capacitors?

Tony T

I've followed many discussions within different forums surrounding capacitor brands. Sonicaps seem to be the common preference although, following other forums from other non-Klipsch sites I see Jantzen, Claritycap, Audyn True Copper caps, etc. I already anticipate a variety of responses to this general question knowing this is relative to ones listening preferences ... or is it? 

I also wonder, does a particular brand of capacitor vary depending on speaker model? For example, would the Heresy have a particular brand preferred over the Khorns since Khorns are obviously much greater in sound reproduction?

Awhile back I bought new Sonicap capacitors within the Klipsch Forum and rebuilt a set of AL-2's. I am now seeking the best replacements for a pair of AA crossovers. 

I am merely seeking the best sound reproduction from within the world of Capacitors. Cost is not my concern rather, QUALITY!

I’ve had the fewest issues with Sonicaps and ClarityCap SA/ESA/CSA... in the old Klipsch filters I tend to like Obbligato Film and Foils too... but I tend to hover I the low to mid priced area. I will some times also use Daytona .01uf film and foils as a bypass... I am not sure why but the will smooth things out at times.

This can be a complicated subject if you try to be too analytical.  I would not put a capacitor in a Heresy or Forte that I wouldn't put in a Belle Klipsch or Klipschorn.  I like the sound of film and foil caps a schooch better than metalized. 

• Like 1

Agree with CANT on his choices and the REVIEWS from HUMBLE helped in the choices I made. I was hooked onto Sonicaps (18 years ago) when developing pre-amps then used them in xovers and doubt very much the more expensive stuff will make a difference

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

---Jeff   question please -  Can you   tell , strictly visually   , if the below picture of the crossover shown in the picture below   matches up  with the schematic of a KP 301-II  shown here

gallery_299_34_63980.jpg

kp 362 XO.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Getting rid of all the crossover parts on my 515B 15 inch woofer - was a NICE, enjoyable-to-me listening improvement !!

Jeff 

thank you , you have a valid point

20 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Maybe it's these old eyes but I can't read any of the cap values,

I sorted it out , the KP 301 uses the 3.0B network , the KP 362 and the KP 301-II  share  the 3.6A, -

-They removed  the top neutrik connector and  cut the wires  ,  it's running from that 4 prong connector on top  , so I'm putting 2 new neutrik  in ,  rewiring  it back to stock  and cleaning up the parts  , and a re-cap  which looks very easy  ---------

kp 362 XO.jpg