Wasps.....How do YOU keep them away?

SWL

The last few years.....especially last year, we've gotten a serious wasp problem. For the first time I need to do something about it.

I'm going to try some wasp decoys as well as soap and water.....a couple of the things I've searched that seem worth trying. I hope.

Looking for some input from some of my bros on methods that actually work.

Just aiming some Lascalas cranking Metallica at the nest will work no doubt.....but I've got my neighbors to consider LOL.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spray the nest and the surrounding area.  I only use it when the nests are in a place where they are likely to get stirred, like on the porch roof near doors.  The spray contains a substance that inhibits them from building in that spot for quite awhile. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure what would keep them away, but by accident i found autozone brake cleaner kills them fast and evaporates fast. It shoots a stream like the wasp sprays, but is also flammable which could be good and bad. :huh::lol: Had a few cans to clean something, it's cheaper than wasp spray when on sale. 

There was a video on youtube of a guy using a shopvac to suck up hornets I think it was hornets, have running shoes on.  :o

DOTERRA has a wasp deterrent recipe using aromatic essential oils that we’ve had success with. The wife loads up a cotton ball with the stuff and places them where we know wasps try to nest, or are nesting already. They just abandon their work. There are wasp traps that use pheromones to attract wasps in for capture, but IMHO a chunk of fried chicken works better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SWL said:

Actually, I've been doing that for a while now and it does work good at killing them but doesn't keep them at bay apparently.

the natural way is easy   ,last year we had a wasp problem     - I  went  to my local flower shop and I asked them if I could  have their dead flowers and cuttings , the smell is amazing  ,  I  made 2 wooden boxes  with small openings  and I dumped the flowers in there  once a week  to keep a stronger odor , the wasps changed their flying patterns  right away as the boxes were 20 feet away from the house , a few days later, 50 feet  and later  at 150 feet away  ----and they now steer away of the house , naturally -

• Like 1

Well, this isn't a permanent solution for your wasp problem, but it sure is fun and it will shred a wasp, spider, etc. I have a lot of fun with it, it satisfies my bug eradication needs, it's more fun than a fly swatter, and won't leave holes in your walls or porch ceilings! 😲 😂

1360874958_IMG_1997Bug-A-Salt01.thumb.jpg.861c62b5ba60ec3fd7c53f264fb91bf2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

So it really works ? 

@dtel, if you are referring to the Bug-A-Salt, YEP, it really does work and it is fun too! I'm still perfecting my on-the-wing skills on wasps and other bugs while they are flying!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Buck115 said:

@dtel, if you are referring to the Bug-A-Salt, YEP, it really does work and it is fun too! I'm still perfecting my on-the-wing skills on wasps and other bugs while they are flying!

you need  help , consult    ----you 're having too much fun with this -but hey wait ,  where can I buy this gun ,  I need help too

• Haha 2

I would recommend that you get the 3.0 version of the Bug-A-Salt over the 2.0 version. And yes, Amazon is where I got mine.

Edit to add: It does mention that it works best at 3 feet from the insect, but you can get a little more distance than that. However, it is not a long range weapon.

• Like 1

I start early in the morning, or in the evening (after a few cold ones) and squish the nest with a putty knife. They are very docile at these times. Mine are Yellow Jackets that make the honeycomb nests... 

• Like 1

Yellow Jackets.  They're miniature one-fanged flying rattle snakes.  I was stung just under my eye when in 8th grade and swelled up like a pumpkin face; and it hurt a lot.  The problem was fruit trees in the back yard.

I'd think the problem is finding the nest. In any event there are several YouTubes about using a shop vac.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMcIpIRL3w

I would think they'll be back unless you can kill the queen.

There does not seem to be info on whether UV will attract them into a zapper.  In any event, this was a marvelous commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClwwP9cYK6A

WMcD

• Like 1