Sunday Morning Blues

Edgar

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Edgar said:

I have always lived alone. This is the first time that I've ever actually felt alone.

Everyone's stock answer to that is, "It beats the alternative."

What's the other quote? "If I'd known that I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself."

Get a dog, I'm serious. One from the pound, on death row. 

Volunteer, if you have time, very serious about this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Get a dog, I'm serious. One from the pound, on death row. 

Can't. My lease prohibits it. I will be trying to move when it expires.

Volunteer, if you have time, very serious about this.

Just as I was looking into volunteer opportunities at local dog rescues (yes, I was actually on top of this), COVID 19 hit and they all locked-down. No volunteers allowed.

• Sad 1

I’m 53. Soon to be 54. Lost a brother in 2013 at the age of 56 and another this year at the age of 63. I have none left.

Both of them had heart attacks at 56, just like our father did. All overweight, all diabetics.

A little more than a year ago, my doctor said I was one point away on my fasting glucose level from him declaring me a diabetic. It was like he hit me with a 2x4.

I started eating right and exercising every day, started seeing a cardiologist, the whole deal.

I’m 6’ even. I went from 238 to 195, where I am now. I bike maybe 3 to 5 miles a day, and eat mostly chicken, turkey, and fish, lots of veggies, and no fast food. The old food now tastes awful. I’ve tried it.

I am honestly in the best shape of my life. I will not return to the sedentary, junk-eating lifestyle. No way.

I have living to do, and I hope to do it.

I hope this is an encouragement to anyone that is a little overweight or flirting with diabetes. You can fix things. Do it!

• Like 3

Laugh more.. stress less

and a healthy amt of exercise is working for me. 

Never worried about money... never had any to worry about.... that has not changed.

Kinda let myself go since "retiring".  Stopped shaving and cutting my hair...flaunting the fact that I'm the only male in the fam with hair [that didn't migrate south]. 

if you call it a regret

Moving to Hawaii.

Wiped out my "bucket list".  

I have a loving wife, a roof and a pair of LaScalas...Can't ask for much more

Monday morning: while I am grateful for all of the comments about loneliness, loneliness was not the reason for my original post. (Recall that I said that I felt alone for the first time, not lonely.) It was about frustration and demoralization resulting from a situation over which I have no control. And, given that I have no control over it, the only thing that I can do is ride it out. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. :( Thanks again to all.

• Like 1

Hi @Edgar

"out of control".... We like to think we can control nature. So far, we have seen those efforts blow up in our face.

...as I remind myself

we have to accept the fact that we are not all powerful and have no real control.  Have faith [and take some comfort]  that things are the way they're supposed to be, whether we like it or not.

Hope you feel better today

regards,

Bill

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Hi @Edgar

"out of control".... We like to think we can control nature. So far, we have seen those efforts blow up in our face.

...as I remind myself

we have to accept the fact that we are not all powerful and have no real control.  Have faith [and take some comfort]  that things are the way they're supposed to be, whether we like it or not.

Hope you feel better today

regards,

Bill

"If you want to see God laugh, just tell Him that you have plans."

I do feel better today, thank you. Everybody hits an occasional low point; one of mine came yesterday. I'm thankful to have been able to express it here, and for all of the support that came back my way.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

if every day was GREAT... great would become average

sometimes we need to be reminded what "good" is.

I grew up in the Midwest, but did my graduate studies in California. From Spring through Fall, every day there looked perfect to me. Yet on some days the natives would complain about the "bad weather". Finally I figured it out: if one lonely cloud happened to pass by at any time during the entire day, the weather was "bad". 

Sometimes we need to be reminded what "bad" is, too.

• Like 1

@Edgar read your posts yesterday and did not know what to say in response. A couple things have crossed my mind since. What is your first name? I will say a small prayer for you. The second thing as I was out pulling weeds on my slopes in the 105 degree heat yesterday a song came to mind as they often due when I'm working on the ranchito

1 hour ago, babadono said:

@Edgar read your posts yesterday and did not know what to say in response. A couple things have crossed my mind since. What is your first name?

Greg

I will say a small prayer for you.

I appreciate your gesture.

The second thing as I was out pulling weeds on my slopes in the 105 degree heat yesterday a song came to mind as they often due when I'm working on the ranchito (Rundgren)

:blush: ... I don't have enough problems already?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
On 7/12/2020 at 9:23 PM, Edgar said:

ADA trumps a state lease, it's a paperwork headache, even a hospital has to allow a service animal in your room. I wouldn't go to that extent but apartment owners/managers are aware of this. It's a hassle and probably not worth the effort.

• Moderators
On 7/12/2020 at 9:23 PM, Edgar said:

Just as I was looking into volunteer opportunities at local dog rescues (yes, I was actually on top of this), COVID 19 hit and they all locked-down. No volunteers allowed.

That would have been a two-fer

• Moderators

I'm not saying this applies to the poster or anyone else in here, but I see this from a different perspective because of clients I have.

On top of everything else we are in the middle of a pandemic, stress and related problems are radically different for a lot of people, so much so the CDC has a whole resource section:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/managing-stress-anxiety.html

@wvu80 is the only one I know on here who is qualified to speak more directly on this.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:23 PM, Edgar said:

get a Chihuahua , you can hide it anywhere ,-----nobody will ever notice ----------