Connecting R-120SW to Yamaha R-S202BL (no sub out)

Konstantin

I just bought R-120SW subwoofer and I can´t figure out how to connect it to my Yamaha  R-S202BL receiver that has no dedicated sub output. My understanding is that I have to use speaker wire to connect the sub to the receiver just as I connect my speakers. If my understanding is correct, then I have no idea

1) how to connect speaker wire coming out of receiver to RCA plug of subwoofer, what adapter do I need?

2) will the volume controller on receiver also control volume on the subwoofer? Or will I have to adjust both sub and receiver volume separately each time?

Edited by Konstantin

Do not connect a speaker lead to the sub’s RCA socket or you’ll damage the sub’s amplifier!

Are you sure your receiver has no sub output?  It won’t be among the speaker cable outputs, it will be among the Pre Out RCA sockets.  This is because the sub has its own amplifier and needs only the music signal to operate.  That, plus you have to plug its power cord into the wall socket, of course.

Yes, the volume controller will control the volume of the subwoofer.  You just have to set its volume once, to match its output to the other speakers, then you’re all set.

Welcome to the Forum!

The only way to connect a subwoofer to your 202 is through it's speaker terminals providing that the subwoofer also has speaker terminals.  Otherwise you will need to swap out either the receiver or the subwoofer.

Bill

12 hours ago, willland said:

The only way to connect a subwoofer to your 202 is through it's speaker terminals providing that the subwoofer also has speaker terminals.  Otherwise you will need to swap out either the receiver or the subwoofer.

Bill

Could you explain what you mean please? I am new to the whole topic. The subwoofer in question is R-120SW.

15 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

The easiest thing to do would be one of two things:

Get a different sub that has speaker-level inputs. 

Get a different receiver. 

Are you sure R-120SW doesn´t have speaker level inputs? The user manual provided by Klipsch says that you can connect this sub to a receiver without sub output:

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-manuals/Reference-Subwoofers-2018-Manual-v02.pdf

I am just not sure how.

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Bu using the receivers L and R output.  You still need low level RCA type connectors.

Use LINE 3 OUT jacks (RCA) to go into the LINE INPUT JACKS on the Sub. The Lowpass control on the sub will be your only crossover control of the lows sent to the sub. Your main speakers will be full range. Maybe not ideal but you should be able to get it working. There is a line in the Yamaha manual that says the LINE OUT will be whatever is selected except IN3 but then does not elaborate.

17 hours ago, babadono said:

Use LINE 3 OUT jacks (RCA) to go into the LINE INPUT JACKS on the Sub. The Lowpass control on the sub will be your only crossover control of the lows sent to the sub. Your main speakers will be full range. Maybe not ideal but you should be able to get it working. There is a line in the Yamaha manual that says the LINE OUT will be whatever is selected except IN3 but then does not elaborate.

I think I read somewhere that line 3 doesn't respect volume knob. So I would have to use both volume controls on receiver and sub. Do you know anything about it?

6 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

I think I read somewhere that line 3 doesn't respect volume knob. So I would have to use both volume controls on receiver and sub. Do you know anything about it?

You are correct, my bad sorry. Yes this is just not going to work. Unless you are willing to deal with 2 volume controls and the one on the sub is not remote controlled.

1 minute ago, babadono said:

You are correct, my bad sorry. Yes this is just not going to work. Unless you are willing to deal with 2 volume controls and the one on the sub is not remote controlled.

What do you think of CECAA850's suggestion to use https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KISLOC-2-Channel-Speaker-Converter/dp/B00I4EF1BC

Or do you think I should return the receiver (still within return window) and save the trouble?

1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

What do you think of CECAA850's suggestion to use https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KISLOC-2-Channel-Speaker-Converter/dp/B00I4EF1BC

Or do you think I should return the receiver (still within return window) and save the trouble?

That might be the simplest thing to do.  Do you have the budget to go for a model that’s a few steps higher in the Yamaha line, so you can get the connection flexibility you need?  Generally speaking, that may mean you also get better sound and more power.

Of course, you may want to have a chat with the seller, to clarify with them what you need, so you can get a receiver that’s ideal for your needs.

1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

Personally I would opt for returning and getting one that has Sub out or at least pre amp out, both of which would be controlled by the volume setting.

• Like 1

Good call. I suspect the V385 will work out fine - looking at the high-level specs:

V385: 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven

R-S202: 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (40-20,000 Hz) at 0.2% THD

70W@ .09% vs 100@.2 - the V385 may work out better...and there is the sub aspect 🙂 And....when u want to add more speakers...and..and

Good luck - let us know what you think when u have it setup

• Like 1