Hearing Test with Signal Frequency

MeloManiac

On 7/13/2020 at 8:00 AM, ILI said:

I'm 51 years old and I was curious about my hearing capabilities. I tested it using the Youtube video below on my living room system (Denon RCD-m41 + Klipsch RP160M). 

I started hearing the signal at 36Hz and I stopped hearing anything around 12,400 Hz.

you can't compare a  5-10 minutes  hearing test  with frequencies   with  sounds  you are used to hearing  -

sound  with musical instruments , or street sound   is  natural ,  as far as I am concerned , hearing tests should be given with everyday sounds and  various levels of hearing , rather than  tone  frequencies ,

-  if you can hear a record playing music at normal volume levels , you are not hearing impaired , if you do not ,  but only  at  a  louder volume , you are hearing impaired

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, blissann said:

Something to do with how digital audio is transmitted and changed as it travels online, really high test tones, are distorted and stuff.

If we can stream high fidelity audio sufficient for audiophile consumption, then we can certainly transmit test tones with equivalent fidelity. If test tones are distorted (and stuff), it is because they were improperly generated, not because they changed as they traveled online.

• Like 2

Edgar is absolutely correct. There are problems with the online tests, but it is at the transducer end of things along with the headphone positioning, & adjustment/tracking procedures. The techs and audiologists who perform these tests have a fair amount of training and are using headphones (frequently the clunky looking Telephonics - TDH's) that are rated for clinical use. There are actually a large number of details involved. 

Not all testing is done as pure tone audiometry (PTA). Some testing may additionally include specialized speech signals (that have a huge database backing up what is considered "normal acuity"). However, the idea of using "everyday sounds because they are more natural", is far-fetched. Testing leads to diagnosis and treatment so the standards are there for a reason. 

• Thanks 1