" turns out to be a SCAM" Marantz 2270 - $225 (Chantilly)

Alexander

This one *MIGHT* be a scam. There was one very similar posted near me, the guy responded but then I saw another posting listing the first one as a scam.

Whole thing was strange.

Also no way a 2270 is up for two days at $225...

Pretty sure it’s a scam.

He’s taken two days to buy packing materials.  Hasn’t asked for payment yet, pretty sure they are posting these adds to gather personal information.

I have to say he has a really good story, lots of pics, and has been responsive to e-mail.

His name is “Richard”, which seems to be a common name for them to use for some reason.

Hopefully it’s legit.

I’ll let you know if I’m the proud new owner, or fighting a PayPal claim.

• Like 1

This was the response I got on the one in northern MN in case you see anything similar:

Hi 

this 2245 has had periodic Caig de oxit D5 detailing, a tuner alignment, not much else, comes from a smoke free, pet free environment. Spent most of it's life in the den running a pair of Klipsch Heresy . Pots and switches are clear

I can drive it thru my Klipsch belles (103db) and it has a marvelous old skool tone, has the headroom of a much larger amp . Really excels with horn loaded designs. 

These black face models were sold thru the PX service and alot were purchased by military personnel and brought back to the US in the mid '70s . It is 110v 60hz.

My buddy Charlie was stationed at Rhein-Main AB in Frankfurt in the '70s
You could get really killer deals thru the PX, I know Pioneer sold a ton of stuff thru this service. He brought back a Tandberg 3300x Reel/Reel and 4 Pioneer CS 99a speakers which I now own too. Probably the best speakers Pioneer ever produced, although most Pioneer guys rave about the HPM - 100

Pioneer had a black face program in the late '70s , except they changed all the model numbers to really confuse you.

There is alotta documentation about the Marantz blackface online, and the best way to tell a new face plate from an original is the new ones which sell on ebay are actually sharper in the etching. The Marantz originals show a little wear , but after 45 years anything would.

Can run 4 speakers , main and remote, simultaneously

The 22xx series accepts the WC-22 wood cabinet , but I personally think it looks better with out it.

Have a pdf copy of the owner's manual.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a 2270 out of LA for 500.00 and I feel as if I stole it. It works fine despite the fact it needs a full rebuild at it's age. This is a scammer for certain!

On 7/15/2020 at 10:55 AM, KlipschKLF said:

His name is “Richard”, which seems to be a common name for them to use for some reason

This is interesting as I was put in contact with a "rich" who wanted to sell me a pair of choruses, of course he insisted on only being paid via bit coin, no thanks. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ha! interesting enough, this pop up today:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/elkton-marantz-2245/7236745368.html

The reply i got after inquiring was:

My 2245 has had periodic Caig de oxit D5 detailing, a tuner alignment, not much else, comes from a smoke free, pet free environment. Spent most of it's life in the den running a pair of Klipsch Heresy . Pots and switches are clear

I can drive it thru my Klipsch belles (103db) and it has a marvelous old skool tone, has the headroom of a much larger amp . Really excels with horn loaded designs. 

These black face models were sold thru the PX service and alot were purchased by military personnel and brought back to the US in the mid '70s . It is 110v 60hz.

My buddy Charlie was stationed at Rhein-Main AB in Frankfurt in the '70s
You could get really killer deals thru the PX, I know Pioneer sold a ton of stuff thru this service. He brought back a Tandberg 3300x Reel/Reel and 4 Pioneer CS 99a speakers which I now own too, and this 2245 Marantz

Can run 4 speakers , main and remote, simultaneously

The 22xx series accepts the WC-22 wood cabinet , but I personally think it looks better with out it.

Have a pdf copy of the owner's manual.

David”

**Be careful!

Best,

~ja

PS. i already reported as a scam, but if you guys can do the same , it might be helpful.

Edited by jachong

it is unfortunate that scams like this do happen that's why I do my best to deal within forums I have been a member of for a long time. This sort of thing happens the most to folks who unknowingly post for a WTB situation. The lazy mans way to wasted time or worse.

So to other readers who have not suffered such situations don't be lazy and set yourself up, there are better ways to find out if someone has what you are looking for.

Hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving with your family and loved ones. God bless you all and god bless America home of the brave land of the free. May the light of truth shine on you all.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Fathomgreencamaro said:

I paid in advance with Paypal(dumb).

you did the right thing ,  paying with Paypal  or your CC is the Safe Way  , but had you , say paid with BitCoin  ,  your money would be gone forever ----

• 2 weeks later...