Klipsch Heresy III, REL Q201E - matching Amp

RvdK

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I'm asking the same question again or if I'm doing something against the rules.

I'm not known in the hi-fi world but I've heard a friend of mine playing music for me on a Klipsch system and was sold.

I've just purchased my first Klipsch speakers which is the Heresy III. I'm trying to compensate the low end frequencies by adding a REL Q201E. Since there's not much money left, I would like to start with an amplifier that is below €500,- before scaling up to something like the PrimaLuna EVO series. The speakers are standing in the living room which is 3x5m2. I'm sitting 2m away from the speakers in the middle of the room.

Here's a playlist of music I like to listen to - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37ZSq4FA67m5UZW0At3FWv?si=ZLwgic4CTNKcsavlz9E3fw

What would you recommend? Thanks a lot for your help!

Sending you warmth from Rotterdam,

Ron

Edited by RvdK

@RvdK,

Welcome to the forum.

I think the Heresy IIis and the Q201E will play beautifully together.  Maybe pick up an NAD C326BEE or C328 to get you going.  I have always found NAD to mate very well with Klipsch.

I am sure other forum members will speak up and suggest more options.

Bill

@willand

Thank you so much for helping out Bill. I'll look into these options.

Looking forward to receive some tips from others. The seller told me these Klipsch need +/- 50h before they sound 'musical'. Is that true?

Warmly,

R

Edited by RvdK

Have you listened to the speakers yet?

I've had my Heresy III's for just over a week now, running them with a vintage top of the range Sony receiver from the mid 70's with 80wpc (Sony STR-6800SD). I read all the comments about a lack of bass and was fully expecting to purchase a sub also, but having run them now for a few days, I'm failing to see the issue. I still have a set of Spendor BC1's which are fantastic with the right music but the bass on those was lacking and a little slack, and a pair of Meridian actives which had an ok bass control for the size of the cabinets, but lacked detail.

I've been listening to a selection of albums produced by Colin Richardson (Fear Factory and Machine Head) and the experience is just blowing me away. Its as close to being in a rehearsal studio as you can get, the speed of the speakers and the thwack is something I've not felt before in a HiFi system and I've been swapping bits around for pushing 15 years now. They're truely dynamic. The bass seems tight and controlled, but most of all accurate.

The position of the speakers and room acoustics may make all the difference, the room is 30ft by 20ft with 10ft ceilings with a good thick carpet. I'm only getting the volume up to about a third max before you have to start thinking about your hearing!

Anyway, that's my two pennies worth.

Cheers

On 7/14/2020 at 1:42 AM, willland said:

@RvdK,

Maybe pick up an NAD C326BEE or C328 to get you going.  I have always found NAD to mate very well with Klipsch.

I replaced my inexpensive 100W Sony receiver with an NAD C326BEE (50W - half the wattage) driving my Heresy IIIs and am very happy. To paraphrase the saying - if the first watt sounds bad, why would you want 99 more?

On 7/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, RvdK said:

I've just purchased my first Klipsch speakers which is the Heresy III. I'm trying to compensate the low end frequencies by adding a REL Q201E. Since there's not much money left, I would like to start with an amplifier that is below €500,- before scaling up to something like the PrimaLuna EVO series. The speakers
Ron

Heresy speakers play well with any SS amp ,  100 watts is ideal  --75 watts  and up is ok ,   at 500 Euros , there are tons of options out there ,  PWK most favorite amp was not a Tube amp but an SS amp ----