Alternatives to Yamaha R-S202

Konstantin

I bought Yamaha R-S202 because it was recommended as a good choice for Klipsch speakers. Unfortunately I am having trouble connecting subwoofer to it, so I am thinking to return it and buy something else. What receiver would you recommend instead? I don't want to spend tons of money, so my budged is ~$300. Also I don't need an AV receiver, since I don't plan on using 5.1

Edited by Konstantin
  • Like 1

I know you don’t need an AVR. But if I was in your position, with your budget, this is what I would buy. It can be run in 2 channel only, no problem. It has the sub out you need and YPAO room correction software, which could/should be a benefit. 

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v385_u/index.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

I know you don’t need an AVR. But if I was in your position, with your budget, this is what I would buy. It can be run in 2 channel only, no problem. It has the sub out you need and YPAO room correction software, which could/should be a benefit. 

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v385_u/index.html

Somehow I have this preconceived idea that AV receiver will deliver inferior sound quality, because they have more components cramped inside for almost the same price as stereo receiver.

3 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

Somehow I have this preconceived idea that AV receiver will deliver inferior sound quality, because they have more components cramped inside for almost the same price as stereo receiver.

If not overdriven outside of their design parameters, and when hooked up to efficient speakers that are not a difficult load to drive, that has not been my experience. 

6 hours ago, Konstantin said:

And in most cases that is probably true.  Flagship AVRs step it up a bit with stereo music.

What receiver would you recommend instead? I don't want to spend tons of money, so my budged is ~$300.

Maybe a stereo integrated amp with a built in DAC and a subwoofer out.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas301bl/yamaha-a-s301-2-ch-x-60-watts-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac/1.html

Bill

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think for the most part your right.

14 minutes ago, willland said:

And in most cases that is probably true.  Flagship AVRs step it up a bit with stereo music.

Positively with the flagships or close to it, from what i have found. But again this could be from brand to brand and model to model. Some lines just have a model that stands out from the rest. It's kind of a crap shoot many times. 

• Like 1

I decided to go for Yamaha RX-V385 + google chromecast to add wireless streaming. I understand that it is an entry model and far from ideal.

My reasoning is that 

- even this entry level receiver will be better than my current built-in TV speakers

- this will give me time to understand what high-end features I really need (if any) and later upgrade based on that.

Too often people buy things with a lot bells and whistles and rarely use half of them.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Edited by Konstantin
  • Like 4

On 7/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, Konstantin said:

I bought Yamaha R-S202 because it was recommended as a good choice for Klipsch speakers. Unfortunately I am having trouble connecting subwoofer to it, so I am thinking to return it and buy something else. What receiver would you recommend instead? I don't want to spend tons of money, so my budged is ~$300. Also I don't need an AV receiver, since I don't plan on using 5.1

you can look on Ebay for used amps  , but it's still better to buy an AV receiver since , they have multiple powered channels

I decided to go for Yamaha RX-V385 + google chromecast to add wireless streaming. I understand that it is an entry model and far from ideal.

My reasoning is that 

- even this entry level receiver will be better than my current built-in TV speakers

- this will give me time to understand what high-end features I really need (if any) and later upgrade based on that.

Too often people buy things with a lot bells and whistles and rarely use half of them.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

70 watts per channel is not a lot of power in 2 channel driven  Stereo -------------100 watts and higher would have been ideal 

I would have opted for the   RX -V485 -----------80 watts per  channel stereo  ---- 40$ more -------the 10 watts more per channel are needed here -

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v485_u/index.html

1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

Yep, it does have it. Unfortunately only one, but it should be enough for me

If you have more than one sub a y-splitter will accomplish the same thing that 99% of A/V receivers with dual sub outputs does.

• Like 1

Konstantin, which Klipsch speakers will you be using?  In any case, Klipsch speakers and subwoofer, driven by a Yamaha receiver,  will sound so much better than your TV’s speakers that you can expect to be quite impressed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

70 watts per channel is not a lot of power in 2 channel driven  Stereo -------------100 watts and higher would have been ideal 

There is not much different between 70 and 100 Watt. It won't even give you a 3dB increase. Plus knowing how Klipsch speaker are efficient, I don't have any concern there.

I did consider 485 model, but it is back-ordered and will ship mid August, which is a bit too far.

I will be using R-51M speakers and R-120SW sub. I considered buying RP-600M ($629) at first, they are amazing from what I've heard. When Klipsch announced sale on R-51M for ~150$ I decided to buy them instead.

Edited by Konstantin
  • Like 2