Preamp for KG5.5??

gostart

Hello all, I'm pretty new to this forum, just got a pair of KG5.5 from my father as a gift

Currently, I have a onkyo TX-SR700 amp...KG5.5 sounds good with it, the amp also provide 5.1 for movie, game, etc

But I'm think about push my speaker to its limit under a reasonable budget($300), to provide great stereo performance for symphony

My idea is get a preamp, and use my SR700 as power amp first, if it doesn't work, I can buy another power amp. 

So anyone can suggest a good 2nd hand preamp under $300? Or any surprisingly musical preamp under $500?

Edited by gostart

Welcome to the forum.  First of all the kg5.5 are great speakers & should sound fine on most receivers or pre/amp set ups.  But your onkyo will not work as a separate amplifier, you cant hook a preamp to it,  you can however use it as a preamp with its RCA audio outputs connected to a separate stand alone amplifier if you want more power.  Using a stereo only preamp you will loose the 5.1 movie capability of the onkyo receiver. The onkyo has 100watts per channel & that will push the 5.5's to very loud levels so it really comes down to how loud you want to listen vs what your budget allows to spend on another amp or amp/preamp set up. 

I have owned quite a few pairs of kg5.5 & use onkyo gear for decades,  their receivers have very good power & like i said will push the 5.5 to very loud levels with great bass from the dual 10" woofers.  If you just want more power i suggest buying a used amplifier with ~200watts per channel, that way you can still keep the 5.1 for movies but have more power for when you listen in 2ch stereo,  that will also lighten the load on the receiver when running it in 5.1.   You can find used amps like adcom rotel etc for about $400-500 with double the watts of the receiver but there are many other brands to choose from as well & i'm sure others will chime in with brand suggestions.  Just remember klipsch are very efficient & dont require tons of power to play loud & sound good.  

43 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

Welcome to the forum.  First of all the kg5.5 are great speakers & should sound fine on most receivers or pre/amp set ups.  But your onkyo will not work as a separate amplifier, you cant hook a preamp to it,  you can however use it as a preamp with its RCA audio outputs connected to a separate stand alone amplifier if you want more power.  Using a stereo only preamp you will loose the 5.1 movie capability of the onkyo receiver. The onkyo has 100watts per channel & that will push the 5.5's to very loud levels so it really comes down to how loud you want to listen vs what your budget allows to spend on another amp or amp/preamp set up. 

I have owned quite a few pairs of kg5.5 & use onkyo gear for decades,  their receivers have very good power & like i said will push the 5.5 to very loud levels with great bass from the dual 10" woofers.  If you just want more power i suggest buying a used amplifier with ~200watts per channel, that way you can still keep the 5.1 for movies but have more power for when you listen in 2ch stereo,  that will also lighten the load on the receiver when running it in 5.1.   You can find used amps like adcom rotel etc for about $400-500 with double the watts of the receiver but there are many other brands to choose from as well & i'm sure others will chime in with brand suggestions.  Just remember klipsch are very efficient & dont require tons of power to play loud & sound good.  

Thanks mate,  with my onkyo, the speaker provide really good bass, power but when listenning to symphony such as 1812 overture, I feel the sound become a little mess

I guess the reason is when it come to big scene,my onkyo start to losing control, also, its pre-part is not as good as a sperated preamp.

My attention is to push my speaker to its limit with my budget, only for stereo, So forget about the onkyo, I guess a pre/amp set ups would be a good solution.

I'm looking for a preamp good for symphony with KG5.5 around $500

For power amp , thanks for your advice....

Edited by gostart

6 hours ago, gostart said:

Thanks mate,  with my onkyo, the speaker provide really good bass, power but when listenning to symphony such as 1812 overture, I feel the sound become a little mess

I guess the reason is when it come to big scene,my onkyo start to losing control, also, its pre-part is not as good as a sperated preamp.

My attention is to push my speaker to its limit with my budget, only for stereo, So forget about the onkyo, I guess a pre/amp set ups would be a good solution.

I'm looking for a preamp good for symphony with KG5.5 around $500

For power amp , thanks for your advice....

You are correct, a receiver isnt usually as good as a separate pre amp/amp,  just wanted to mention that for now if you wanted to buy an amplifier first.